Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Where do I begin

So I went to a bike shop. Guy showed me this what I thought was a decent giant talon 29er. I'm new to mountain bikes but was familiar with shimano and rockshox and thought I was getting a decent bike. However he only had it in an xL frame and I'm 5'8. So when it comes it's a different color and has a no name ( didn't know at the time) fork and SRAM components. He tells me I he'll give me 200 bucks off for the mistake and I'm getting high quality components. Long story short I got dooped and of course a night mare trying to return it. So anyway I've been riding it. I want to upgrade the front forks triggers and derailers. Another lbs is steering me to rock shox fork and bottom line shimano. I have tried to look but can someone help. My budget on forks is about 400. As far as the other components. Is ther a huge difference in the shimano bottom line or xtr. Any and all suggestions appreciated just remember I'm a beginner so if you start talking all the millimeter stuff please explain in detail. Thanks

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    First things first: what specifically is on your bike now? Names....

Secondly, what's the issue with returning a bike that you don't want?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Before we get to any discussion of new parts, if I read it correctly, you're 5'8", and he sold you an extra large frame?

Short of a return / exchange, this size mismatch will be a bigger issue than any parts can make.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    As a beginner, you should try to avoid the XTR group for now. You wont be able to tell the difference in performance yet, and it's a lot more costly than your lower end parts (Deore, Altus, anything outside of the Shimano brand). Work your way up to XTR when you get more experience and want to dump a lot more money into your rides.

SRAM components are really good value, especially for your 'beginners' budget. Whats the make/model of your fork? Even though you may think of it as a no-namer it could be really good quality for your lower end components. Again, this is all to save you money for when you get more experienced and can dump that money into more high end components.

Since you're only a beginner, it can be safe to assume that you will only be using the basic trails around your area and not the advanced or expert trails (if there are any in your area). This being said, a lot of your lower end components will be just fine on those trails.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My shifters are SRAM
    My rear derailer is SRAM x4
    My front part of derailer or where my cranks are avio
    My shock fork I'm not sure unfortunately it's In my buddy's house tonight from riding earlier and it's just pay 1am. But it just bottoms out or moves 4-5 inches when I just push on handle bars. I want something more stuff. I tried to adjust it but to no avail.

As far as returning it I went back about 20 days later after riding a couple times and he will not take it back now. It's really my own fault I should have turned down the deal and waited for the bike I rode originally.

In addition this thing just changes gears on its own and is very delaid when shifting

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The bike I saw in the shop was an xL frame. The one I purchased is not

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoobz12 View Post
    My shifters are SRAM
    My rear derailer is SRAM x4
    My front part of derailer or where my cranks are avio
    My shock fork I'm not sure unfortunately it's In my buddy's house tonight from riding earlier and it's just pay 1am. But it just bottoms out or moves 4-5 inches when I just push on handle bars. I want something more stuff. I tried to adjust it but to no avail.

As far as returning it I went back about 20 days later after riding a couple times and he will not take it back now. It's really my own fault I should have turned down the deal and waited for the bike I rode originally.

In addition this thing just changes gears on its own and is very delaid when shifting
    As far as shifting on its own, that's likely just because everything's been broken in and it needs to be adjusted now. Not a big deal.

And there's nothing wrong with those components. Sure, they're heavy and low-end, but they still shift when you push the trigger. The main difference between that and the higher-end stuff is weight.

I wouldn't recommend any upgrades just yet. Ride the bike for a while and get used to it. It's not a bad bike or build, but at the same time I'd hesitate to put any nice, high-end parts on the bike because you'd be financially better off riding the crap out of that bike and then buying a better-spec'd bike when you have a better idea of what kind of rider you are and what bike would serve you best.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey bro thanks for your comments. I think I have a bad taste in my mouth how the deal went down. Not know much about components yet made it worse. I feel more confident in the bike after reading your posts. Especially the save the money ride it into the dirt and buy something better next time. I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to learning more here. It obvious why you have all those green bars under your rep. Thanks a lot. And thanks to the others that took the time to reply. Ride hard !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can you post a pic of it? We might be able to tell you what you have. Ordering a giant and getting an unbranded bike is pretty iffy. This place sounds crooked as hell. You should complain to giant, maybe they can force their hand. Ultimately you did purchase it though.. Who knows.

As for components, you should just ride what you have. They should work fine, there is no need to dump more money into it. For a fork, there are a few options, probably the best in your budget is a recon gold. If you want to spend less you can get a suntour epicon or raidon. You can buy it from an online dealer and install it yourself to save some money. It takes me a half hour to do a fork it's not a lot of work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm sorry. I must have mis worded that. It is still a giant. Just wasn't the same one I looked at in the shop. Mine is white with the components I mentioned earlier. The one I looked at in shop was blue and grey and had some what I thought better forks shifters and derailers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ohhh im sorry I misread. I got confused at the parentheses lol...

I wouldnt worry about the shifters now, just ride it and you'll figure out what you need. One piece shifters/brakes levers work OK, it's just that when you break something you're buying 2 more, or 4 more things. When you break something then worry about it.

The fork on the other hand, that will change the bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Since you mentioned colors, let me see if this sheds some light...

Is this what you saw in the showroom that got your attention? The 2014 Talon 1 in black and blue.
    Talon 29er 1 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Here's the 2013 one, which is the wrong color and has Shimano Alivio drivetrain specs:
    Talon 29er 1 (2013) | Giant Bicycles | United States

So based on your description of white color with Sram X4, here's what you were sold...a left over 2012 Talon:
    Talon 29er 2 (2012) | Giant Bicycles | United States

How many gears do you have on the back cassette? If it's 8, then it matches the 2012 specs. If that's true, then you can also finally know that it comes with a SR XCT 29" fork with 100mm of travel.

Conclusion? Don't worry about it. The Talon was always a decent beginner bike. It lacks nothing for the newcomer to mountain biking. Ride the piss out of it and have a good time. Yes, I think you were gipped by the shop for not being forthcoming with all the details to you. $200 off is not enough incentive for a 2 year old model. That said, waiting 20 days before returning was also a little on the long side. But now you know his true colors. Now you can look for a different shop the next time you need one.

Want to feel slightly better about your 2012 Talon? These guys seem to think it's a great platform that was (just as you observed) hampered by the fork.
    Giant Talon 29 review - BikeRadar

Now go enjoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post

Is this what you saw in the showroom that got your attention? The 2014 Talon 1 in black and blue.

So based on your description of white color with Sram X4, here's what you were sold...a left over 2012 Talon:

Conclusion? Don't worry about it.
    Now go enjoy
    One bike is $1380 and the other is $650. Sounds like he paid $1180 for the $650 bike.

Co Springs
    Hope you all can help him get to the bottom of it....

Seems like photo of bike, size, sr# ,model name and specific components and shock would sum it up ...?

I don't recall the exact definition of Bait n Switch but if this guy got scammed, I'll bet even after 20 or 30 days, he can work out a decent deal with that shop that could be hit with a very legit legal threat pretty easy (if such proves to be true). If the guy paid more than the list price for the bike b/c the shop pulled this 'mistake'.... I'm thinking it's a no-brainer and should be easy to prove or dis-prove with some specifics.

I understand nobody would want to go back and deal with that shop again but the threat of going after them is the only card to play as they are the only method of recourse.

Maybe after all is said and done it isn't as bad as it sounds though.

Could a shop take a nice bike and strip the better fork off it thinking a noob to bikes might not catch it ? Then have a more top shelf item to sell out the parts dept ..?
    Or just take money for the better bike and give him a lesser one.....

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by rndmrdr View Post
    One bike is $1380 and the other is $650. Sounds like he paid $1180 for the $650 bike.
    I hope that didn't happen but if so, it'll sure be easy to take up the charge !!

No way would I sit still for something like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post

Here's the 2013 one, which is the wrong color and has Shimano Alivio drivetrain specs:
    Talon 29er 1 (2013) | Giant Bicycles | United States

How many gears do you have on the back cassette? If it's 8, then it matches the 2012 specs. If that's true, then you can also finally know that it comes with a SR XCT 29" fork with 100mm of travel.

Conclusion? Don't worry about it. The Talon was always a decent beginner bike. It lacks nothing for the newcomer to mountain biking. Ride the piss out of it and have a good time. Yes, I think you were gipped by the shop for not being forthcoming with all the details to you. $200 off is not enough incentive for a 2 year old model. That said, waiting 20 days before returning was also a little on the long side. But now you know his true colors. Now you can look for a different shop the next time you need one.

Want to feel slightly better about your 2012 Talon? These guys seem to think it's a great platform that was (just as you observed) hampered by the fork.
    Giant Talon 29 review - BikeRadar

Now go enjoy
    Dont think this is possible. The shop (if I am understanding correctly) had to order the correct size. They could not have ordered a 2012 or 2013, Giant has been out of those for 1,2 years. We are already seeing 2015 models in the lower range available.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Yeah a picture really would help settle things. We're all just guessing at this point.

OP, what country are you in? I only looked at the US Talons, and didn't find a white one w/ Sram X4 until back to the 2012 model. Unless you did in fact receive a 2015 configuration that isn't listed on their website yet.

I didn't do it
    OP, first of all you should never buy a bike without actually riding it first. And not to mention that you should ride several bikes so that you can compare and find one that fits you best. So you can file that away for next time. It sounds like you need some fork adjustments. Presumably your bike came with an owner's manual for the forks so take a look at it and see what your options are. Or you can take it bake to the shop and get the forks, along with anything else, dialed for you.

I must say your LBS seems to be lacking in customer service a bit.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    First of all I hoped you paid with a credit card, If so, contact credit card company and tell the the LBS ( the experts) is not helping and sold you a bike that was to big for you. As for the 20 days of so of riding it, Tell them its your first mountain bike and it took awhile to tell it was too big. The LBS has a responsibility to sell you a bike that fits. Next contact your states, Department of consumer affairs. Next small claims court. BE NICE and assertive with the bike shop and let them know how you are going to proceed.

Remember: The only way to get walked on is to lay down.

Hi There!
    OP is showing as online now, so dude....give us an update here.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm trying to upload photos from my phone. It is the 2012 model. I'm still at work and will be back in a bit

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I need to clear up some things. I purchased this bike last summer not recently. My first post has created some confusion. I have the correct size bike. The original talon bike I looked at was only 950 bucks at this shop. It was the 2013. It was an xL frame so he ordered the size I needed. This is where I get swindled. He brought out the 2012 but told me it was the same bike just a different color. I asked about the shocks and triggers being different and told me they were just as good. And would take 200 bucks off. So financially I over paid 100 bucks for this bike I have now. Quite honestly didn't know that till now. I trusted this components where good like he said. I actually like the bike. I rode the bike a couple times on the local trail. It is then I realized the fork was garbage. The triggers being under the bar suck. And the delaid gear change was annoying. I took it back and showed the guy on the bike I looked at origally and it had a rock shox fork and Delors quick triggers and he wouldn't take it back or offer to trade out the stuff. I've moved on about the shop found another shop I like very much. So my where to begin is not to find a way to deal with the old shop that I will not recommend to anyone. I want to upgrade my fork and my triggers. I thought if I was gonna do that my tear derailers also. But from the thread it sounds like I can get away with forks and triggers and a time up and will be good to go. I have no idea about the travel and stiffness of the forks. I ride two three times a week on three different trails. The fork I have now is a xct v3 ltd 29 with 28 mm stanchion. It is like a sponge it moved a ton if I just lean on it. Looking for a solid fork. I asked about xtr triggers earlier cause I was gonna do delore and figured why not do xtr.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    So really I think I'm just gonna do a fork just don't know what kind. And ride this bike into the dirt like a couple have sugessted and go big on the next bike. Again I aprreciate all the feed back from this forum. You guys don't mess around here. Lots of knowledge. Thanks for all you suggestions and thoughts.

I didn't do it
    Just don't spend too much on the fork. You probably didn't spend much on the Talon so you wouldn't want to add too much cost by adding a fork. You might want to consider just saving the fork money and put it into your next bike. My vote is to adjust everything you can and ride the bike for awhile. Get some skills, learn what you like in a bike and what you don't like. Demo a bunch of bikes this summer. You could take this opportunity to learn how to wrench your own bike. There are tons of resources on line and here at MTBR. It just doesn't make sense to me to pour too much money into an entry level bike.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    So...I guess we'll put away the pitchforks and torches now...

Your first post read like this all just happened. At least, the lack of a clue that it was in the past made us think it just happened.

Glad you like the bike. Even cheap shifters and derailleurs will work find when properly adjusted and set. I've got some X3's on a hybrid that goes on dirt paths all the time, and it's worked for years. But if you really want to change them, I'd recommend going only as high as XT, not XTR. You really hit a level of diminishing returns with XTR, which makes more sense for racers. The level of progression in components for Shimano/Sram is: Alivo/X3, Deore/X5, SLX/X7, XT/X9, XTR/X0 (someone correct me if this is wrong). And you can't mix and match Shimano and Sram rear drivetrain parts. You can on the front; that's all the same. A new fork will improve the experience a lot more than new shifters, if I were in your shoes and had to choose a priority.

Speaking of new forks, that's a big topic you'll have to look into yourself first, and then ask what you can't find. Google something like "good budget 29er fork" or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast