Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    local trails rider

When someone shows up with different gear...

When someone shows up with different gear...

- is it a newbie who has no clue?
    - his other gear is broken?
    - he is good and does it on purpose?

A while ago I announced my intention to do a relaxed evening ride, on a local forum. We ended up as a group of 8 on a pretty wide variety of bikes. One of the guys was on this:

He didn't seem to have any problems with the rocks and roots: nothing to worry about. There is this one heap of rocks along the route we took, that I've never seen anyone ride over. I did not see it this time either, as I was busy moving on, to make room for the others. But later I was told that this guy did ride over it

Not exactly a newbie, then

(I am convinced that spot can be ridden, either with some trials skills, or a tough bike and DH skills)

mtbr member
    Good on him.

His definition of "relaxed evening ride" might be different from yours. I must admit, when I read your post, the first image that came to my mind was of lollygagging around on fire roads and logging trails. Maybe that's what he was expecting.

Good on him for getting over that rock pile though.

local trails rider
    I am pretty sure he knew exactly where we were going

I don't know all the people who ride here but this guy has been posting a lot in our "local rides" forum thread, and my post there gave a pretty good outline of where I wanted to go. That means there will be rocks and roots but no big obstacles.

mtbr member
    A good reminder that it's not about the bike.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air

There's nothing wrong with fenders and a quill stem if the rider can out ride the pack. There's nothing wrong with those things if the rider enjoys them.

mtbr member
    Being on a bike like that is actually super dooper cool if you can clear the rocks and stuff that most of the others can't!

It would be even cooler if he had a picnic basket bungeed on the back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was invited on a "relaxed" ride once, part of a friend's birthday party. I showed up with my CF hardtail and spandex--the only bike I had, the only outfit I rode in. Everyone else had full pads and freeride/DH bikes, we shuttled to the top of some insane (to me) DH trails...I trailed the back of the pack, but I kept up pretty easily because I didn't crash like all the other guys were doing...

mtbr member
    So many pozers out there. Can't tell u how many peeps I c with their f/s or dh bikes and all there clothes that match and they stay on the road or might do a dirt road once in a while. After years of riding, still no mud or scratches. Then u got some who r on their road bikes or beat up old clunkers doin some crazy sh@t out on the trails.
    U just can't judge a book by it's cover.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    Stupid people keep making the same mistakes. Smart people learn from their own mistakes. A genius learns from others.
    Fixed it for you

mtbr member
    Thanx

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air

The most accurate assessment of what biking is all about, people, not 5 figure toys with beaucoup eye candy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    So many pozers out there. Can't tell u how many peeps I c with their f/s or dh bikes and all there clothes that match and they stay on the road or might do a dirt road once in a while. After years of riding, still no mud or scratches. Then u got some who r on their road bikes or beat up old clunkers doin some crazy sh@t out on the trails.
    U just can't judge a book by it's cover.
    Are you using an old school cell phone to type this in?

mtbr member
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.

banned
    [QUOTE=Scott O]Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.[/QUOTE]

Why is it so damn important what "his deal is?" It's a relaxing evening ride, and so any bike, however equipped, and with whatever clothes he chooses to wear should never be an issue. Geeezuz H Krist I hate artificial rules, hall monitors, and apple polishers; this is the reason I don't belong to any cycling club, 'cause I don't wear freaking helmets...if I wanted to be like the rest of the herd, I would have been born a buffalo....that's MY deal.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Steeljaws]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.[/QUOTE]

Why is it so damn important what "his deal is?" It's a relaxing evening ride, and so any bike, however equipped, and with whatever clothes he chooses to wear should never be an issue. Geeezuz H Krist I hate artificial rules, hall monitors, and apple polishers; this is the reason I don't belong to any cycling club, 'cause I don't wear freaking helmets...if I wanted to be like the rest of the herd, I would have been born a buffalo....that's MY deal.

I think Scott just meant that he could have politely struck up a conversation, instead of wondering. Nothing wrong with saying
    "Hey, good riding dude, is that the bike you usually ride with?"

And then he would tell you this funny story, and you would exchange names, and then you and the wives would get together for a little Mexican food and margarita's, and your kids would become friends with their kids, and so you would end up planning your summer vacation together, and............

banned
    ....and then you find out his wife has a thing for your wife, and the guy is gay, and he just loves the spandex leotard, semi-nomex "all mountain" costume you're wearing with those cute tinkerbell clipless footies, and the kids are all.................

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    The most accurate assessment of what biking is all about, people, not 5 figure toys with beaucoup eye candy.
    +1 on that
    I didnt spend a fortune on my bike but I hit everything I can on the trail with a smile on face.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

I build my own.
    A kid I ride with.

Shows up for a downhill track test ride with an old single-speed cruiser with full fenders, a chain-guard, a basket on the front AND streamers on the handlebars. Rides up most of the course and pins it going down.

Comes out for a 12 hour XC + road ride with a ss dirt jump bike. No problem keeping up.

Regularly shows up for our 2 hour tech XC rides with a BMX. Again, no problems keeping up.

I'm pretty sure it's just whatever bike is on top of the pile is the one he's using today.

His buddy won the local downhill race (amateur class) 2 years ago on a hardtail, wearing a helmet, shorts and sandals, nothing else.
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 05-26-2010 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Steeljaws]
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

local trails rider
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.
    I am not really worried about "his deal". I was riding, he was riding, the guy on the Nomad was riding. We had a good two hours on trails without trying to race each other. Everybody seemed happy.

There was another time, a couple of years ago, when I was the odd one.
    We went to check some routes for a big group ride event and everyone else was on the XC bikes they always ride. I had to go on my pig of a 7" freeride bike because I'd hit my thigh and hitting any bumps on a hardtail hurt too much. We went up this short but steepish slope and one of the ladies commented that clipless pedals were really a necessity there. Somebody else chimed in: "Ahem, see the guy showing us this spot, on a heavy bike and flat pedals."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    A kid I ride with.

Shows up for a downhill track test ride with an old single-speed cruiser with full fenders, a chain-guard, a basket on the front AND streamers on the handlebars. Rides up most of the course and pins it going down.

Comes out for a 12 hour XC + road ride with a ss dirt jump bike. No problem keeping up.

Regularly shows up for our 2 hour tech XC rides with a BMX. Again, no problems keeping up.

I'm pretty sure it's just whatever bike is on top of the pile is the one he's using today.

His buddy won the local downhill race (amateur class) 2 years ago on a hardtail, wearing a helmet, shorts and sandals, nothing else.

That's great stuff. In a way, I have to admit that for me it is partly about the bike. I love working on it, getting new stuff for it, trying new parts, cleaning it, etc. But in the garage is one thing, out on the dirt is another. On the trail, it's all about what you can do with it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a buddy that could probably take a kids big wheel over stuff that some people wouldn't attempt on a $4k santa cruz lol

first time I rode with him by the first good section I thought, "yeah, he's going to hate waiting up for me lol"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Years ago I used to go out on pretty technical trails using a Specialized Hard Rock with a softride suspension stem. I was pretty athletic (marathon runner, telemark skier, etc.) and used to grin when dudes decked out with the latest gear and full suspension/ carbon fiber/ titanium superbikes were walking up a trail, or had to scramble to get off a trail that I was cruising by in.

I worked with a guy who was a real tightwad. He wanted to get a decent bike but not spend too much money, so he ended up getting a Novara comfort bike from REI for about $200 on sale. He was tall, lean and thin, and smoked me up dry creek canyon trail in SLC, Utah. What was even funnier is when he felt dissed by some guys who rode past us when we were taking a break on a titanium lightspeed and Trek Y-bike, and he felt the need to beat them up a technical uphill on his Novara. I watched him blow past them, while they were trying to keep ahead. After he cruised by them, they stopped. When I got to them, they were so winded they couldn't say anything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool
    Are you using an old school cell phone to type this in?
    No way Dudeman. Just want u 2 think m 2 kewl 4 da english lengwich.
    Last edited by theMeat; 05-26-2010 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey ldriver and Steeljaws - what's your deal? It's painfully obvious that it is not reading comprehension*.

Go re-read your last post Steeljaw - you got some uderlying issues/tensions/closeted feelings you need to get out?

*Just so you guys don't embarrass yourselves anymore, here's your word for the day:

com·pre·hen·sion
     [kom-pri-hen-shuhn] –noun
    1. the act or process of comprehending.
    2. the state of being comprehended.
    3. perception or understanding: His comprehension of physics is amazing for a young student.
    4. capacity of the mind to perceive and understand; power to grasp ideas; ability to know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast