Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    local trails rider

When someone shows up with different gear...

When someone shows up with different gear...

- is it a newbie who has no clue?
    - his other gear is broken?
    - he is good and does it on purpose?

A while ago I announced my intention to do a relaxed evening ride, on a local forum. We ended up as a group of 8 on a pretty wide variety of bikes. One of the guys was on this:

He didn't seem to have any problems with the rocks and roots: nothing to worry about. There is this one heap of rocks along the route we took, that I've never seen anyone ride over. I did not see it this time either, as I was busy moving on, to make room for the others. But later I was told that this guy did ride over it

Not exactly a newbie, then

(I am convinced that spot can be ridden, either with some trials skills, or a tough bike and DH skills)

mtbr member
    Good on him.

His definition of "relaxed evening ride" might be different from yours. I must admit, when I read your post, the first image that came to my mind was of lollygagging around on fire roads and logging trails. Maybe that's what he was expecting.

Good on him for getting over that rock pile though.

local trails rider
    I am pretty sure he knew exactly where we were going

I don't know all the people who ride here but this guy has been posting a lot in our "local rides" forum thread, and my post there gave a pretty good outline of where I wanted to go. That means there will be rocks and roots but no big obstacles.

mtbr member
    A good reminder that it's not about the bike.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air

There's nothing wrong with fenders and a quill stem if the rider can out ride the pack. There's nothing wrong with those things if the rider enjoys them.

mtbr member
    Being on a bike like that is actually super dooper cool if you can clear the rocks and stuff that most of the others can't!

It would be even cooler if he had a picnic basket bungeed on the back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was invited on a "relaxed" ride once, part of a friend's birthday party. I showed up with my CF hardtail and spandex--the only bike I had, the only outfit I rode in. Everyone else had full pads and freeride/DH bikes, we shuttled to the top of some insane (to me) DH trails...I trailed the back of the pack, but I kept up pretty easily because I didn't crash like all the other guys were doing...

mtbr member
    So many pozers out there. Can't tell u how many peeps I c with their f/s or dh bikes and all there clothes that match and they stay on the road or might do a dirt road once in a while. After years of riding, still no mud or scratches. Then u got some who r on their road bikes or beat up old clunkers doin some crazy sh@t out on the trails.
    U just can't judge a book by it's cover.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    Stupid people keep making the same mistakes. Smart people learn from their own mistakes. A genius learns from others.
    Fixed it for you

mtbr member
    Thanx
    Round and round we go

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air

The most accurate assessment of what biking is all about, people, not 5 figure toys with beaucoup eye candy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So many pozers out there. Can't tell u how many peeps I c with their f/s or dh bikes and all there clothes that match and they stay on the road or might do a dirt road once in a while. After years of riding, still no mud or scratches. Then u got some who r on their road bikes or beat up old clunkers doin some crazy sh@t out on the trails.
    U just can't judge a book by it's cover.
    Are you using an old school cell phone to type this in?

mtbr member
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.

banned
    [QUOTE=Scott O]Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.[/QUOTE]

Why is it so damn important what "his deal is?" It's a relaxing evening ride, and so any bike, however equipped, and with whatever clothes he chooses to wear should never be an issue. Geeezuz H Krist I hate artificial rules, hall monitors, and apple polishers; this is the reason I don't belong to any cycling club, 'cause I don't wear freaking helmets...if I wanted to be like the rest of the herd, I would have been born a buffalo....that's MY deal.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Steeljaws]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.[/QUOTE]

Why is it so damn important what "his deal is?" It's a relaxing evening ride, and so any bike, however equipped, and with whatever clothes he chooses to wear should never be an issue. Geeezuz H Krist I hate artificial rules, hall monitors, and apple polishers; this is the reason I don't belong to any cycling club, 'cause I don't wear freaking helmets...if I wanted to be like the rest of the herd, I would have been born a buffalo....that's MY deal.

I think Scott just meant that he could have politely struck up a conversation, instead of wondering. Nothing wrong with saying
    "Hey, good riding dude, is that the bike you usually ride with?"

And then he would tell you this funny story, and you would exchange names, and then you and the wives would get together for a little Mexican food and margarita's, and your kids would become friends with their kids, and so you would end up planning your summer vacation together, and............

banned
    ....and then you find out his wife has a thing for your wife, and the guy is gay, and he just loves the spandex leotard, semi-nomex "all mountain" costume you're wearing with those cute tinkerbell clipless footies, and the kids are all.................

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    The most accurate assessment of what biking is all about, people, not 5 figure toys with beaucoup eye candy.
    +1 on that
    I didnt spend a fortune on my bike but I hit everything I can on the trail with a smile on face.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

Terrain Sculptor
    A kid I ride with.

Shows up for a downhill track test ride with an old single-speed cruiser with full fenders, a chain-guard, a basket on the front AND streamers on the handlebars. Rides up most of the course and pins it going down.

Comes out for a 12 hour XC + road ride with a ss dirt jump bike. No problem keeping up.

Regularly shows up for our 2 hour tech XC rides with a BMX. Again, no problems keeping up.

I'm pretty sure it's just whatever bike is on top of the pile is the one he's using today.

His buddy won the local downhill race (amateur class) 2 years ago on a hardtail, wearing a helmet, shorts and sandals, nothing else.
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 05-26-2010 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Steeljaws]
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother

local trails rider
    Next time, instead of guessing about why he's riding a particular bike and posting about it on a message board, you could just walk up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him what his deal is.
    I am not really worried about "his deal". I was riding, he was riding, the guy on the Nomad was riding. We had a good two hours on trails without trying to race each other. Everybody seemed happy.

There was another time, a couple of years ago, when I was the odd one.
    We went to check some routes for a big group ride event and everyone else was on the XC bikes they always ride. I had to go on my pig of a 7" freeride bike because I'd hit my thigh and hitting any bumps on a hardtail hurt too much. We went up this short but steepish slope and one of the ladies commented that clipless pedals were really a necessity there. Somebody else chimed in: "Ahem, see the guy showing us this spot, on a heavy bike and flat pedals."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    A kid I ride with.

Shows up for a downhill track test ride with an old single-speed cruiser with full fenders, a chain-guard, a basket on the front AND streamers on the handlebars. Rides up most of the course and pins it going down.

Comes out for a 12 hour XC + road ride with a ss dirt jump bike. No problem keeping up.

Regularly shows up for our 2 hour tech XC rides with a BMX. Again, no problems keeping up.

I'm pretty sure it's just whatever bike is on top of the pile is the one he's using today.

His buddy won the local downhill race (amateur class) 2 years ago on a hardtail, wearing a helmet, shorts and sandals, nothing else.

That's great stuff. In a way, I have to admit that for me it is partly about the bike. I love working on it, getting new stuff for it, trying new parts, cleaning it, etc. But in the garage is one thing, out on the dirt is another. On the trail, it's all about what you can do with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a buddy that could probably take a kids big wheel over stuff that some people wouldn't attempt on a $4k santa cruz lol

first time I rode with him by the first good section I thought, "yeah, he's going to hate waiting up for me lol"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Years ago I used to go out on pretty technical trails using a Specialized Hard Rock with a softride suspension stem. I was pretty athletic (marathon runner, telemark skier, etc.) and used to grin when dudes decked out with the latest gear and full suspension/ carbon fiber/ titanium superbikes were walking up a trail, or had to scramble to get off a trail that I was cruising by in.

I worked with a guy who was a real tightwad. He wanted to get a decent bike but not spend too much money, so he ended up getting a Novara comfort bike from REI for about $200 on sale. He was tall, lean and thin, and smoked me up dry creek canyon trail in SLC, Utah. What was even funnier is when he felt dissed by some guys who rode past us when we were taking a break on a titanium lightspeed and Trek Y-bike, and he felt the need to beat them up a technical uphill on his Novara. I watched him blow past them, while they were trying to keep ahead. After he cruised by them, they stopped. When I got to them, they were so winded they couldn't say anything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool
    Are you using an old school cell phone to type this in?
    No way Dudeman. Just want u 2 think m 2 kewl 4 da english lengwich.
    Last edited by theMeat; 05-26-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Hey ldriver and Steeljaws - what's your deal? It's painfully obvious that it is not reading comprehension*.

Go re-read your last post Steeljaw - you got some uderlying issues/tensions/closeted feelings you need to get out?

*Just so you guys don't embarrass yourselves anymore, here's your word for the day:

com·pre·hen·sion
     [kom-pri-hen-shuhn] –noun
    1. the act or process of comprehending.
    2. the state of being comprehended.
    3. perception or understanding: His comprehension of physics is amazing for a young student.
    4. capacity of the mind to perceive and understand; power to grasp ideas; ability to know.

mtbr member
    Even with a 'relaxed' ride, if someone shows up with gear that is ill-suited AND the rider is incapable of the trail, a nice ride can be turned into frustration real fast.

I've experienced that on a group road ride where someone showed up on a fat tire beach cruiser and admittedly had NOT been on a bike (or doing much else physical) in years.

Out of courtesy, and to show encouragement, the entire group slugged along at an 8mph pace so the 'new guy' could keep up.

But it was NOT a 'fun' ride by any stretch of the imagination.

So sometimes, wrong equipment can also truly mean clueless rider.

But the OP's observation is dead-on. Some people are quirky and some people are naturally gifted regardless of the equipment they sport.

banned
    Hey ldriver and Steeljaws - what's your deal? It's painfully obvious that it is not reading comprehension*.

Go re-read your last post Steeljaw - you got some uderlying issues/tensions/closeted feelings you need to get out?

*Just so you guys don't embarrass yourselves anymore, here's your word for the day:

com·pre·hen·sion
    3. perception or understanding: His comprehension of physics is amazing for a young student.
    4. capacity of the mind to perceive and understand; power to grasp ideas; ability to know.

I see little Scotty is playing hookey, and mommy has helped put together a few words to make him look smart, ha ha ha. Scotty, get back to me when you get way past puberty; in the mean time, do some homework....re-read the entire thread; you'll thank me for it one day......

mtbr member
    Steelhead - as you requested, I have read the entire thread. And as you predicted, I am thanking you. Thank you for letting me see what a true internet idiot is. That idiot is you. Of course it's easy for me to talk tough behind my keyboard knowing of course that a guy with screen name like Steeljaw must be very strong and tough. Keep this up and we may want to start calling you Cementhead.

mtbr member
    Really, name calling, insulting someone for not having your views? I enjoy this kind of entertainment as much as the next guy but come on. Lighten up. Use your energy for good, not evil.
    Round and round we go

No unpermitted erections
    Steelhead - as you requested, I have read the entire thread. And as you predicted, I am thanking you. Thank you for letting me see what a true internet idiot is. That idiot is you. Of course it's easy for me to talk tough behind my keyboard knowing of course that a guy with screen name like Steeljaw must be very strong and tough. Keep this up and we may want to start calling you Cementhead.
    Oh, brother.

mtbr member

com·pre·hen·sion
    What is my deal? Well Scott O in regards to this thread it is the fact that too many people are obsessed with riding $4000.00 bikes and than looking down on anyone who rides something less. Why does it matter what someone else rides as long as they like riding it? My take on the OP's original post is that initially he thought this rider was going screw up the ride for everybody and to his amazement the guy rode pretty damn good. So in my opinion what this thread is trying to say is dont worry about what kind of bike someone else rides as long as he can ride it.
    Oh BTW so glad you just showed everyone that you know how to copy and paste!

banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Idriver
    What is my deal? Well Scott O in regards to this thread it is the fact that too many people are obsessed with riding $4000.00 bikes and than looking down on anyone who rides something less. Why does it matter what someone else rides as long as they like riding it? My take on the OP's original post is that initially he thought this rider was going screw up the ride for everybody and to his amazement the guy rode pretty damn good. So in my opinion what this thread is trying to say is dont worry about what kind of bike someone else rides as long as he can ride it.

Yes, it seems your reading comprehension is not at fault here , and may I add that it also doesn't matter what clothes one wears on these little casual gatherings, so if he chooses baggy pants, sneak sneaks, no helmet (that would be me), and adorns his bike with a rack, who gives a ratz azz....as far as I'm concerned, doing a DH kamikaze in shorts, flip flops, and nothing else builds character; the skills come after; when you have the character, the skills, and have acquired some semblance of ethics, THEN you can buy those $4K toys that so many here have, but never seem to have been used....good job Idriver.

since 4/10/2009
    wtf?

most of the guys I ride with use what they can afford. I helped one guy out a couple weeks ago by fixing his cable routing (went home to use the repair stand in the garage, though). They're good guys. our rides are about having fun riding, and nothing else. so what that I have an expensive bike? doesn't matter to me, and it doesn't matter to them.

we all rolled our eyes on our last ride when a group of meatheads rolled by on the trails whooping and hollering as they rode down a pipeline right-of-way that was not intended to be a trail and they ripped down it helmetless and clueless.

and before you pass judgement on the guy pushing a $4000 bike up the hill, stop to think that MAYBE the dude has a good reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idriver
    It was a rhetorical question. I don't care what your deal is. Since you guys refuse to re-read the thread I'll help you and repost smilinsteve's explanation of what I said. Let me know if you still cannot COMPREHEND.

"I think Scott just meant that he could have politely struck up a conversation, instead of wondering. Nothing wrong with saying
    "Hey, good riding dude, is that the bike you usually ride with?""

mtbr member
    Really, name calling, insulting someone for not having your views?
    Actually, I think we all have the same views on this topic. I'm using name calling because they are dummies.

banned
    Actually, I think we all have the same views on this topic. I'm using name calling because they are dummies.

If you only knew....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Steeljaws: It has been many of years since I've seen that logo in your avatar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    wtf?

most of the guys I ride with use what they can afford. I helped one guy out a couple weeks ago by fixing his cable routing (went home to use the repair stand in the garage, though). They're good guys. our rides are about having fun riding, and nothing else. so what that I have an expensive bike? doesn't matter to me, and it doesn't matter to them.

we all rolled our eyes on our last ride when a group of meatheads rolled by on the trails whooping and hollering as they rode down a pipeline right-of-way that was not intended to be a trail and they ripped down it helmetless and clueless.

and before you pass judgement on the guy pushing a $4000 bike up the hill, stop to think that MAYBE the dude has a good reason.
    Dont get me wrong I dont knock anyone for what they ride. Why? Because I dont care what you ride. My point was meant to those that think they are so much better than everyone else just because they ride a high dollar bike. If you have the means to be able to afford a $4000 bike great for you I hope you enjoy it. I spent 2 grand on my bike, another guy I ride with spent $800 on a full suspension bike and he rides the hell out of it. My point is get a bike and go ride it!

banned
    [QUOTE=NateHawk]wtf?

and before you pass judgement on the guy pushing a $4000 bike up the hill, stop to think that MAYBE the dude has a good reason.[/QUOTE]

I suppose if he's someone doing some light training for his 5th Tour de France, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Now, if the $4K bike is parked in the dining portion of an efficiency apartment, or on the balcony of an apartment complex, or in the bedroom of mommy's house looking like it just left the factory, then I would suspect just another poser who does a lot of blog posting, and taking pictures of his piece of jewelry. To be sure, I have no doubt that there are a few demented ones with the financial wherewithall who splurge on a bike that typically the factory supplies for free to real PRO's, who jump off 10 foot drop offs into lakes repeatedly, and when the bike falls apart in short order, they run to these blogs and cry foul about how suckee XYZ Custom Cycles sucks 'cause they won't replace their bike.

For me, mountain biking is all about having the freedom to go places where even Jeep's have a problem, and enjoying the view ......not slamming down a 45 degree downhill run at breakneck speed, crashing and burning, and then again ***** about the suckee $4K bike, and post pictures of Nurse Wretched picking clean the chain ring and chain which has somehow managed to chew up your scrotum....if you're a PRO, then you have nothing to worry about, the factory has you covered. When you're a dilitante, who's got you covered, mommy, AMEX, VISA, Obama????

mtbr member
    For me....
    exactly... it's personal.

No need to be so condescending about people who spend more on bikes. You look the same way to all the people who could never imagine spending more than $100 on a bike from Walmart, so who's to say that the line you drew is the right one?

And why the heck are you going off on people who ride different style of terrain now too? In some regions going down steep hills at speed qualifies as normal mountain biking

mtbr member
    If you only knew....
    Please enlighten us. Seriously.

since 4/10/2009
    And maybe you're just a tool searching for reasons to hate on people.

I have a nice bike. I like my bike a lot. It's 7yrs old, and I give it much TLC to ensure that it works just like new. It even looks fairly new, but the trained eye sees that it's also well-used.

Someone who might see me on the trails this afternoon might think what you are talking about right now. I'm some no-talent hack with an expensive bike that isn't being ridden to the full extent of its capabilities.

And anyone who makes such an assessment would be dead wrong, and no better than the ******* on the $10,000 bike who hates on people who ride less expensive bikes.

You'd be wrong because only just one year ago, I was in a wheelchair. Not long before that, I was in a coma fighting for my life from leukemia. I'm an ornery cuss who kicked cancer's ass, and if you want to approach me face-to-face with your judgmental crap, you've got another thing coming.

So be careful about the judgments you make about people based on what you observe without any background.

And really, what's wrong with making mountain biking a financial priority? I thought we were finished judging people based on how house-poor they could be. Someone living in a small apartment while able to continue living comfortably sounds like it makes more sense than buying a 4000 sqft house for just yourself and being unable to furnish it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    And maybe you're just a tool searching for reasons to hate on people.

I have a nice bike. I like my bike a lot. It's 7yrs old, and I give it much TLC to ensure that it works just like new. It even looks fairly new, but the trained eye sees that it's also well-used.

Someone who might see me on the trails this afternoon might think what you are talking about right now. I'm some no-talent hack with an expensive bike that isn't being ridden to the full extent of its capabilities.

And anyone who makes such an assessment would be dead wrong, and no better than the ******* on the $10,000 bike who hates on people who ride less expensive bikes.

You'd be wrong because only just one year ago, I was in a wheelchair. Not long before that, I was in a coma fighting for my life from leukemia. I'm an ornery cuss who kicked cancer's ass, and if you want to approach me face-to-face with your judgmental crap, you've got another thing coming.

So be careful about the judgments you make about people based on what you observe without any background.

And really, what's wrong with making mountain biking a financial priority? I thought we were finished judging people based on how house-poor they could be. Someone living in a small apartment while able to continue living comfortably sounds like it makes more sense than buying a 4000 sqft house for just yourself and being unable to furnish it.
    Well said, Nate. Unfortunately some people around here don't do too well with well thought out, rational arguments.

Ok, off to ride. I think we all need a little bit of that. Have a great weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This one time a guy showed up to a race in a Porsche 911 Turbo, with a Ti 29er with I9 wheels, XTR everything, on the roof rack. He raced cat 3 (beginner) and finished poorly. Some people ridiculed him, like some of you guys are, but in the end, the guy still has a friggin Porsche and a bike most of us can only dream about.
    There's a point to this story somewhere.

Up up and away!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarfish
    This one time a guy showed up to a race in a Porsche 911 Turbo, with a Ti 29er with I9 wheels, XTR everything, on the roof rack. He raced cat 3 (beginner) and finished poorly. Some people ridiculed him, like some of you guys are, but in the end, the guy still has a friggin Porsche and a bike most of us can only dream about.
    The point is that we have a tendency to take one instance and judge on it forgetting how complex people are. It's human nature to simplify.

Reading this thread makes me feel better about my Alpinestars.

mtbr member
    As I get older, my endurance is decreasing, and my bank account is increasing. My interest in cool bikes has remained constant.
    It is not hard to understand that people of all skill levels can have expensive bikes designed to handle much more than what the owner will ever subject it to.

It's like owners of Corvettes, Porches etc. Who takes them to top speed? How many of them are sitting in LA traffic everyday going back and forth to work? Whatever.

Very few of us stick to owning only what we need, and no more.

One day at a time......

This reads like a roadbikereview thread.

Just ride. Buy what you want. I would be honored to get my butt kicked on my Ti 29er, then drive home in my Porche. I would call that a win at the end of the day.
    "It's all about personal integrity, hope, and a really great beer."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This one time a guy showed up to a race in a Porsche 911 Turbo, ................................. but in the end, the guy still has a friggin Porsche and a bike most of us can only dream about.

What's the Porsche have to do with anything. It's just a freakin' car. Just like the bike in the OP's post, it's just a F'n bike. I care more about how a person rides than what they ride. If they can keep up with me (I'm not event that fast) then I'll ride with them. If I have to stop every so often to wait for them, then maybe next time I'm riding solo.

mtbr mizzember
    For me, mountain biking is all about having the freedom to go places where even Jeep's have a problem, and enjoying the view ......not slamming down a 45 degree downhill run at breakneck speed, crashing and burning, and then again ***** about the suckee $4K bike, and post pictures of Nurse Wretched picking clean the chain ring and chain which has somehow managed to chew up your scrotum....if you're a PRO, then you have nothing to worry about, the factory has you covered. When you're a dilitante, who's got you covered, mommy, AMEX, VISA, Obama????
    it seems like mountain biking for you is more about coming on here and berating anyone who had different views and more money than you, d-bag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Very few of us stick to owning only what we need, and no more.
    Right on. I think it's safe to say there are no ascetic monks committed to life long poverty on this forum. Almost all of us aspire to something better, whether it be a better set of grips for $10 or a tricked out bike for $7500. If being an average rider on a nice bike makes me a poser, then guilty as charged. And as for what makes a "poser" - in my book, it's not the gear vs skill gap that makes someone a poser - that's just someone with more money than skill, which is many of us. Rather, it's the attitude. Someone who's silly enough to think they are cool (and acts it) simply because they have the cool gear - now that's a poser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast