KSD
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

We the people ... When pedaling hard the crank seems to skip??

I have a TREK 4300 that I just bought. It had a skip when you pedaled the bike hard. I looked at the front chain rings and new they had to be replaced. After replacing the front chain rings and cranks the problem was still there. I check the wear on the chain and it was within specs. I took the bike to the shop and they adjusted my derailleurs and replaced my rear cassette. The tech at the shop checked the chain wear and confirmed it was within specs. I rode the bike while dragging the brake when I was there and the problem seemed to be fixed. I went home and rode in the woods up some hills and it began to skip when Any thoughts on how I may fix this problem??? I don't know how old my chain is. Should I replace the chain?? I am at a loss, please help!!

Your Best Friend
    As a rule, always replace the chain when you replace the cassette. The wear between the two marries pretty closely over time. You can get away with replacing the chain without the cassette but not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Could also be a problem with the freehub mechanism in the rear hub. If you have a spare wheel or can temporarily swap one over from a friend's bike, it would be a pretty quick way to confirm or rule out the possibility.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    As a rule, always replace the chain when you replace the cassette. The wear between the two marries pretty closely over time. You can get away with replacing the chain without the cassette but not the other way around.
    This. I'm not sure why the local shop would recommend replacing the cassette without replacing the chain? I suspect your problem will go away with a new chain. Either that, or your frame is cracked and it flexes enough to cause ghost shifting when you're really torquing on it.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^^ what ken said. I've had ghost shifting with two of my frames before. Took me forever to figure it out the first time.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue and it ended up being my rear hub. It had to be rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I also had this problem but never paid any mind to it. I just thought I was heavy and so standing up and pedaling hard and the bike just was old enough to not take it. Turns out I guess this is the problem. No biggie to me, if it gets worse I think its something to look at though.

+1 to Ken in KC for covering the issue well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also make sure the rear derailleur is in perfect alignment. If it even the slightest bit wonky, it can cause all sorts of mystery problems.

rider
    Ah, nothing like standing on the pedals as you get into a good climb, and SLIP!

The White Jeff W
    Oil your chain every couple rides. Sticky links can cause your problem.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm assuming this bike was used when you bought it? My old Trek used to do this sometimes, it was the freehub not engaging properly due to wear. If the chain and cassette were the same age, I would replace both. You should replace the chain now anyway, but I would try the freehub. Shouldn't be very expensive for a stock wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I had a similar problem. I took it to the shop at least 3 times and then the mechanic just had me come in one day and he swapped just about every part out. Tried a new cassette, new chain, new chain rings. Even put a new deraueller on. Nothing helped. Only thing he didn't do was swap out the whole crankset. I ended up buying a new crankset and problem was solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did you purchase the bike new? In what gear(s) does it skip? (ie. front and rear combinations?)

Kinetics Project - Wheel Builder
    Last edited by caseykelso; 02-12-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Workin for the weekend!
    I had this problem, I solved it when I destroyed the freehub one day... Ended up riding home on a Fixie...
    Last edited by -Todd-; 02-24-2013 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sounds like a problem with the derailleur, did you have anything or anyone hit the bike near the derailleur.

~ B A D A S S ~
    it can be cogs/cassette/chain.
    the hub internal mechanism
    Also the hanger being straight or not.
    the adjuster screw on the RD, adjusting distance/tension
    the shifters/rd general adjustment in/out per gear, is it set up where its supposed to?
    loose freehub.
    loose wheel.
    and finally the frame being weak so it bends or broken frame.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Ride More, Whine Less
    How cold is it? My grease in the rear hub freezes in really cold and as a result, the locking of the rear hub isn't always perfect.