mtbr member

When to lock suspension for climbing?

Near as I can tell, "locked" suspension just limits fluid travel. Do you lock out at fully extended travel, sag, or on the fly?
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I lock out on the fly. Haven't had a problem. You should just try different ways and see if it affects you.

official eMpTyBRain
    I lock out (fork) on the fly on the trail or at the start of a section of road riding on my way to the trail. My Reba SL fork will lock out at sag but I find that it works it's way out to full extension after I lock it out on the fly.

I can only bump into Pro Pedal on my 2009 RP23 shock if I dismount (take my body weight off the suspension) which is a bit of a disappointment.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Thanks folks. I always forget! Just didn't want to damage anything. Kind of figured it wouldn't do much other than change geometry due to the timing of locking.
    I live in my head...

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: When to lock suspension for climbing?

Locking when you're on the fly or in a standard sag won't hurt it. Inside, the lockout works like a one way gate for the shock oil. If you let some air out in the garage (say, down to 20lbs), compress it all the way, lock it out, uncompress, it'll pop up to lockout position, no problems.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

When to lock suspension for climbing?

I never lock out my suspension. It's been 10 years since I intentionally flipped one of the lockout levers

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I never lock out my suspension. It's been 10 years since I intentionally flipped one of the lockout levers
    I can clearly feel an advantage when climbing smooth terrain with my suspension locked out. I enjoy climbing more than descending so I push really hard going uphill which can result in suspension bob if it's not locked out.

However, if I am doing a slow technical climb, I usually leave the fork unlocked which sucks up the slow speed bumps and thumps nicely.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    It depends on the fork doesn't it? Aren't there some Marzocchis that you can lock in an extended or locked down position?
    I think my Fox ends up at full extension no matter what position you are in when you turn the lever. But I'm like Nate, I never use it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think if you are just out riding leave it unlocked. Why take comfort out of your ride, now if you are racing I would do everything to improve your time although half the time I forget.
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

mtbr member
    That describes me... I forget until somebody says something to the tune of "You weren't locked out?"!
    I live in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I can clearly feel an advantage when climbing smooth terrain with my suspension locked out. I enjoy climbing more than descending so I push really hard going uphill which can result in suspension bob if it's not locked out.

However, if I am doing a slow technical climb, I usually leave the fork unlocked which sucks up the slow speed bumps and thumps nicely.

Few climbs where I ride are not technical. There's almost always some rooty or rocky (or both) feature part of the trail where suspension is beneficial. There are also very few long, grinding climbs where locked suspension would be worth it. Most of the trails around here are pretty "punchy" with short climbs and downhills.

I suppose the type of bike you ride also makes a difference. I have 100mm of travel, so it's not like I'm riding a squishy couch or anything. Even when I do long grinds, it doesn't feel like the suspension is taking very much away...if anything. If I was on a 140mm trail bike, I'm sure I'd feel differently about that travel on a climb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't use my lockout either. For long climbs, I find that proper technique eliminates most suspension bob up front. For the "punchy' climbs, as you describe, there isn't really isn't much benefit to engaging the lockout. Approach the climb with speed and let momentum help push me up, then only a a little pedaling is required to get me to the peak.

I think I would find the lockout useful in situation where I get caught in too high a gear at the base of a climb, and can't back off the pedals enough to shift down. I'm usually stuck mashing up the hill in too high a gear and really compressing the shock. Unfortunately, I don't have a remote lockout, and given the situation there's no time to reach down to twist the knob.

mtbr member
    If I didnt have a remote lockout lever on my bars I would probably never use lockout on my Revelation. Having the remote is extremely handy for climbs I can go from lockout to open depending on upcoming terrain or my pedaling without having to think about it.

I only use it on hills though.

mtbr member
    I think on anything other than smooth pavement or very smooth dirt, suspension will help more than it hurts. The loss of momentum from even small bumps or ruts is worse than a little suspension movement.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I think on anything other than smooth pavement or very smooth dirt, suspension will help more than it hurts. The loss of momentum from even small bumps or ruts is worse than a little suspension movement.
    ^^^This.
    If you don't need the suspension why carry on extra weight, you can just take the HT for the Hammer day. Just set it up correctly, and let it do the work it's designed to do.

usually cranky
    never. open suspension will always be more efficient. if bobbing is an issue than sit and spin. if you cant do that your probably on the wrong bike.