mikeb

when did univega leave the US market?

my very, very first MTB was a 1989 or 1990 univega that i got in exchange for forty dollars cash and a beat up leather jacket. the thought of the red alpina uno brings back warm and fuzzy feelings; i first contracted a severe case of upgraditis while i owned that bike. i learned to remove a rear cluster and replace the axle and bearings in a rear hub while the univega was mine, something i've long forgotten how to do.

i sold it at a yard sale for twenty five bucks.

this is their web site now. it's noteworthy that they don't yet have a 29'er or at least it doesn't look like it to me.

anybody else here used to ride the old univegas?

Ride it your way!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i didnt ride but i recently bought and sold a univega road bike. i really liked the way it looked.

RIP Friendgirl

Univega

I bought a lightly used alpina pro full xt with prestige tubing around 1991. Was a great bike at the time & had a ton of fun on it. They were one of the better brands during that time.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

Frt Range, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Used to ride? I'm still riding an Alpina 600. I've had it for about 12 years. Love it, but honestly I don't know anything else.

Currently looking for a new bike. If only I could decide between FS and HT...

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    i am aware of this, the article does not clearly state when univega left the US market.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    i am aware of this, the article does not clearly state when univega left the US market.
    I was working in a Raleigh/Nishiki shop in the late 90's when Derby purchased Diamond Back and Univega...it wasn't long after that they killed the Univega and Nishiki brands on the US market and left only Raleigh and Diamond Back. My recollection would be about 1998-1999 ish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My first dual suspension was a 96 dual action pro. Great riding frame, just a little flexy for me at 220#! Loved that bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Those '11 Alpinas look pretty sick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=mikeb;8387667]my very, very first MTB was a 1989 or 1990 univega that i got in exchange for forty dollars cash and a beat up leather jacket. the thought of the red alpina uno brings back warm and fuzzy feelings; i first contracted a severe case of upgraditis while i owned that bike. i learned to remove a rear cluster and replace the axle and bearings in a rear hub while the univega was mine, something i've long forgotten how to do.

i sold it at a yard sale for twenty five bucks.

this is their web site now. it's noteworthy that they don't yet have a 29'er or at least it doesn't look like it to me.

anybody else here used to ride the old univegas?

Used to ride an old univega? I still do once in awhile. I have a 89 or 90 Alpina Uno that is very low miles and in pristine condition. I picked it up at a city of Phoenix auction in 90 or 91. It looked new. It was love at first sight. I'll post pics when I can. This is my first post on this forum, and I think you have to have ten before you can start a thread or post pics..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My very first MTB was a white Alpina 500 and i still have it but it does not see much ride time anymore.

Village Dirtbag
    I wanted one bad around '93 or so, in high school. For about $1k you could get something like a 23-24 pound hard tail. Amazing value.