3diver
    Nov 2012

Wheels for hardtail ?

Hi, I have a hardtail mountain bike with 26" Wtb SX17 wheels and Continental Xking 2.1 tires. I did some aggressive riding with the occasional 2 foot drop and I've noticed my rear wheel is really getting out of whack... I weigh 180 lbs and I run the tires at 40 psi. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of a good value wheel set for this type of bike/riding without breaking the bank. Is the fact that I'm riding hard tail going to bend all my rear wheels ?

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by suiramy View Post
    Is the fact that I'm riding hard tail going to bend all my rear wheels ?
    Nope.

1. If those wheels were factory-bought, the spokes were likely never properly tensioned. Fix that.
    2. Learn to ride more smoothly. It's faster, and the bike and your body will thank you for it.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    I have an XT wheelset. They are not the lightest(1790g) but they take a ton of abuse and stay true.

3diver
    Nov 2012
    That makes a lot of sense, the wheels came new with the bike which I bought on ebay. I changed the stem and pedals but never thought about tightening my spokes lol.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by suiramy View Post
    That makes a lot of sense, the wheels came new with the bike which I bought on ebay. I changed the stem and pedals but never thought about tightening my spokes lol.
    It's not exactly tightening that you're supposed to do. All you want to do is ensure that the spokes aren't twisted up (generally due to lack of thread prep on the nipples), and that all the spokes of the same group (front driveside, front non-driveside, rear driveside, rear non-driveside) have the same tension, while the wheel is mostly straight.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.