mtbr member
    Aug 2013

whats in your trail bag?

under the seat, backpack, over the shoulder, whatever floats your boat, most have them but the real question is whats in it...lets hear whats in yours, share us your deepest darkest secrets. myself, i like to go out pretty prepared.

seatbag for shorter trips: spare tube, co2 cartridge and pump attachment, topeak hexus II multi tool, couple bandaids and quaze pads of different size, couple saftey pins, paper clip, 2 extra chain links, and a lighter wrapped in duct tape. bottle of water in the cage.

Platypus pack for longer rides: Black Diamond Spot headlamp, Blackburn Evo 13 Airstick pump, topeak hexus II multi tool, Gerber suspension multi tool (conviently attachted to the outside for easy access), spare tube, co2 cartridge and pump attachment, steel core tire lever, couple bandaids and quaze pads of different size, couple saftey pins, paper clip, little bit of TP, ace bandage, couple granola bars, 2 extra chain links, and a lighter wrapped in duct tape. as much water as i need in the ol pack.

might seam like a lot but it really isnt, i like to have basic first aide supplies because when they come in handy, they really come in handy. obviously based on the specific conditions and the trail at hand things change.

anyone else want to lend advice....

mtbr member
    A great subject and one that has gotten some attention in other threads. Some things that I don't see on the normal lists are: rear derailer cable, extra cleat and screws, safety blanket or bivy, spf lip balm (I can't stand dry lips on a ride), butterfly sutures, whistle, ID, zip ties, a plastic garbage bag (takes up no space in the bladder compartment but very useful), a hank of paracord and a few zip loc sandwich bags to throw your phone, etc. in when the rain comes down.

mtbr member
    Under my seat, held on with a Backcountry Research Awesome Strap (Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS), I carry a tube (29" one..probably should swap out to a 26"), tire lever, and a CO2 inflator. The rest I carry in my jersey pocket using one of Backcountry's Tul Bags. My Tul Bag has a zip tie, tire boot, extra CO2, KMC Magic Link, small chain tool, and 2 Fix-it-Sticks (2.5/4/5/T25) Buy Fix It Sticks bicycle multi tools

I also carry an Epi-pen and 2 benedryl b/c I am allergic to bee stings.

This is plenty for my 1-2 hour rides near civilization. I would add a small first aid kit, spare derailleur hanger, and possibly a cleat bolt if I were going far. People, in my opinion, often carry WAY too much stuff for short rides.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Never Forget 9-11
    Multi tool with chain tool, KMC quick link (9 and 10sp), spare tube, tire levers, needle nose pliers, brake pad spring, mini pump and a few first aid items.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member

Re: whats in your trail bag?

Here is my setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

EMBA Member
    You children won't appreciate this now, but wait 25 years or so and you'll understand. In addition to all the usual items, I carry some reading glasses because my eyes don't focus on things that are up close any more - especially if the light isn't good.

I build my own.
    You would do well to check out the other threads on this subject. Some are in the Beginner forum. Lots of great suggestions.
    I'm not the best pesron to ask because quite often I carry a chainsaw and a pulaski in my trail bag.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.