Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whats your size? How do you ride?

2K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Duckman 
#1 ·
Hey everyone what I want to know is do any of you feel more comfortable riding one size down? and why? and what style of riding do you do?

#3 ·
I'm 6'2", my choice of ETT is 23.8 with an SO of 31.4". I could easily ride a bike with an SO of 33" and an ETT of 24.4". I like a compact bike as I really don't like leaning over the bike while I sit. My rides consist of mixed XC and AM.

#4 ·
thanks for the input, I ask and want peoples thoughts cause I'm 6' and when I ride a size smaller I feel like I can be more playful with the bike then when I ride my size, but where I it lacks is speed and long riding it takes a toll on me faster on a smaller bike.

#5 ·
Same here, the more compact bike is not as easy to climb with. I have to move myself up the seat and lean into the bars for some climbs, to keep the front on the ground, but it does not bother me, as it builds strength and furthers my understanding of the bikes capabilities for better split second decision making. Though, I really like the agility of the shorter wheel base, so I just had to learn to position myself properly on the bike for climbing.

#6 ·
it's the price point on these bikes now a days that make it so hard to decide if I was only spending 500 I would go with the lower size I think. but thinking long term for me the right size is better.

#7 ·
All the "charts" say I should be in a M frame but I feel cramped on any M I've tried so I go L. I'm 5'9" and I have a long torso/short legs so I like a longer top tube. I'm a little short on standover clearance but I build a bike to ride, not stand over it. Currently riding a L 2013 Blur LTC w/70mm stem/post w no setback.

My road bike is a 56cm and the "charts" say I "should" be on a 54cm but (same way) I felt too cramped on any 54 I've tried.

#13 ·
5' 10", I ride a 19" Trek Cobia 29er. My gravel bike is a Large (20") and my 26ers are 19.5" and Large (20"). For my riding I size up, but if I were to ride downhill, I probably would size down, if it felt right. I don't like the feel of a bike that is too small.

#17 · (Edited)
I have never subscribed to the smaller-frame philosophy unless you are truly in between sizes and/or your torso/inseam is a bit radical. It is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. You may have some idea that you get quicker handling but you give up stability at speed and climbing.

What some riders do is undersize the frame and, in order to get their weight in a comfortable (read; do not want to feel like going OTB) position they use a set-back seat post. At the other end stems are used to alter hand position. I think it ends up wonky.

Your seat position re bottom bracket, for power output, does not change from bike to bike. So that stays the same. Chainstays/seatstays and seat tube angle don't change much from one size to the next so what really changes is reach; that distance from the BB to the Head tube. This is compounded by head tube angle and, these days, fork travel or with Dualies you can add shock travel for a real rocking horse effect..

Of course there are riders who have worked this equation for a smaller frame fit their entire riding career and love it. That said, you can get used to riding just about anything. That does't mean it is optimal.

Attachments

#18 ·
I'm kind of a freak. I'm 6'2", riding a 24.8" ett. I've got a 3/4" setback post, 110 stem, the seat jammed all the way back. Still feel cramped. 26" TT would be fine with me, but don't know if I want the longer wheelbase.

#19 ·
6'3, and it's gotta be an XL. What that actually measures out to be isn't always the same, but if there isn't a real big size in the line up then it doesn't handle right.

I have a custom long travel hardtail frame with a 26" TT, and it's surprisingly comfortable paired with a 70mm stem. Never gives me any back trouble and even handles well in the air, although it's a a little tricky to get a good bunnyhop on.

#21 ·
6'1" or 6'2", currently riding a large blur ltc with an 80mm stem and a straight post and it feels about right. Previous bike was a medium '04 heckler with a 50mm stem and a setback post and a 160mm fork... Kind of a goofy thing but I liked it. Every time I demo'd something that actually fit it was pretty obvious how compromised it actually was though.

#24 ·
6'-3" riding a 20" rigid Nimble 9. That's a 24" TT + 100mm stem + 400mm seat post + seat slid all the way back.

I have been trying XL frames here and there since 1989 and I've never ridden a MTB frame over 20" that I liked.
18" is def. too small.

I am mostly XC, with some AM here and there. I do some drops and small jumps, but never any gaps. I enjoy hard, technical climbs, and am a pretty good descender in local company. Not much I shy away from.

-F

#25 ·
I'm an inbetweener. 18.5"- 19.5" is where I live, depending. Was 5.11" forever w long legs, until recently(crushed 7 vertebra 2yrs ago=lost 1" of torso length). Still in the middle at my current 5.10", albeit a very short torso/long legs. =even more so making for a size M with lots of seatpost. I've always liked around a 19" ST with an 23.5-ish TT. Have ridden and raced both a M (18.5") and L (20.5") Giant NRS. Always liked the M best. Hated the long TT (24+") handling of the L. Still have both frames. I'm slowly rebuilding the M atm.

Strangely, my Giant XTC HT is a L but is 19". Their M in the XTC was 17.5". Always liked its fit too. Typically a T Masterpiece post with 100-110ish stem. Also have a M (18.5") Titus Motolite.

Also have an Intense 03 100mm Spider. Its a M(19").

All typically have around 23.5" TTs.

Both Giant TCR roadie size M and C-Dale cross is 54.

Current fav bike is a new Focus Raven all carbon 29r size M (18.9", TT 23.6"). Zero setback w 90mm stem. Absolutely perfect fit. I instantly felt like I could do anything on it. Great bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.