• 03-16-2013
    KevinGT
    What's the difference between these Chris King headsets?
    Jenson has two versions of a tapered headset on their site.

This one:

Chris King I3 44/49 ZS Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and this one:

Chris King Nothreadset Ec Taper Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Other than the cosmetic differences, the upper one has a much lower stack height. Is this compatible with any frame and fork or is it designed for a specific setup?

I'm mounting this to a 2012 Yeti ASR-5 alloy and want to make sure the upper one fits before I buy it.
  • 03-16-2013
    pizon
    you can see in description that they are for different sizes of headtubes. one with lower stack is 1.25 to 1.5, the other is 1.25 to 11/2
  • 03-16-2013
    the-one1
    ^Nope

One is to fit 44mm top / 49mm bottom
    The other is 1/18 top / 1 1/2 bottom.
  • 03-16-2013
    elongate
    Chris King InSet This should help.
    I just went through this trying to figure out the right headset for my Tallboy. I use the top one of your links, the I3. You need to get some measurements to be accurate. Halfway down the page click on the link that fits your bike.
    It mentions Yeti Factory Team on the page so you are in the right direction. FWIW I also bought from Jenson but when I contacted them to help make sure I got the right part they had no clue.
  • 03-16-2013
    11 Bravo
    A buddy of mine just went through this building up his new Santa Cruz Nickel. He ended up calling Chris King and they were very helpful. They just asked him what frame he had and they gave him the part number of the headset he needed.
  • 03-17-2013
    customfab
    They're for the same fork but different frames.