mtbr member
    Apr 2011

What's the best way to store 3 bikes in a garage.......

Hey all!!!! I'm picking up my new ride on Wednesday. My dilemma is that i now have to store three bikes in a single car garage.....my wifes', my kids' and mine. Should i hang them from the ceiling,....do i build a rack.????? I want them out of the way when there not being ridden. Any storage ideas would be appreciated????? Willie

mtbr member
    If you have a tall ceiling I would think one of those lifts/hoists that suspends the bikes from the ceiling would be your best bet. If not wall would be your next best choice. You can hang three bikes from the wall by their wheel and take up very little wall space.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you hang them by the wheels, is there a chance, that rim could go oval on you??? Willie

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by WillydaStick View Post
    Hey all!!!! I'm picking up my new ride on Wednesday. My dilemma is that i now have to store three bikes in a single car garage.....my wifes', my kids' and mine. Should i hang them from the ceiling,....do i build a rack.????? I want them out of the way when there not being ridden. Any storage ideas would be appreciated????? Willie
    I think there are too many variables to render a meaningful opinion...ceiling height, how much other crap you are storing in your garage, clearance around car, how often each bike is ridden, etc. Maybe a photo would help?
    Quote Originally Posted by willydastick
    If you hang them by the wheels, is there a chance, that rim could go oval on you???
    No

local trails rider
    There's lots of ways to hang bikes on the wall. It doesn't have to be from the rims either.

http://www.google.fi/search?q=bike+w...A&ved=0CC8QsAQ

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I use one of these in the garage and two in the basement. http://www.amazon.com/LeHigh-Crawfor...412442&sr=8-10 Handy for some service work too, just beware it tensions the cables. I often just hang the seat from one arm. Lowes used to sell them. Also use J-Hooks for bikes that aren't ridden as often.

Just a flesh wound
    Get a shed. Made my garage work great!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a single car garage too. I keep the car in the garage and the bikes in the lviing room.

SSOD
    I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Michelangelo-2.../dp/B001I0ASVC and my work stand and I keep them inside the house. The wall rack really is nice and doesn't take up that much room. Bike stand is just because I'm too lazy to put it up and end up just hanging one of my bikes on it.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WillydaStick View Post
    If you hang them by the wheels, is there a chance, that rim could go oval on you??? Willie
    Treating this as a serious question just in case. Answer = not a chance. While in actual use wheels are repeatedly subjected to dynamic forces many times over the static weight of a hanging bike. Answer = not a chance, not a problem.

canuck
    I have a ***** ton of bikes

I hang them all on the wall with a 2X4 and the hooks from home depot the nice ones for 2.49

oh and I park out side...