mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Whats the best bike for under 2500?

Hi, guys im very new to this forum and also MTB. I own revel 2 from giant for just basic riding around the block.When I realized that I want to try something more exotic like MTB I decided to search for bike thats most suitable for me. Im looking forward to get a real full suspension mountain bike for real off road. I dont even know where to start. There are so many bike brands and prices ranges that makes me almost impossible to choose from. I kinda like stumjumper fsr comp and pivot mach5.7 since is recommended by MTBR. Please help me to choose bike budget around 2000-2500. Cheaper is better but im willing to spend that money for better riding. If there is any blowout sale season bike please let me know. Than you guys!

P.S. I live in NYC area. Thank you!

Iko
    mtbr member
    I'm in CT and mainly ride a 2011 stumpy fsr comp 29er. Totally love it and would fit in your $ range.

FKA Malibu412
    What you decide on may be influenced by many factors including the type of riding you do and whether or not you want a decent all-arounder or a more specific-purpose type of bike.

For many, the Stumpjumper FSR Comp kind of hits that sweet spot of all-rounder. Specialized has a bunch of 2011 models still in inventory and an authorized dealer near you may be letting them go at very decent clearance prices. My shop has them available for $1999 and they are spec'd nicely with a RS Revelation fork, X9 rear and X7 front with X7 shifters in 3X10, and a Triad II rear shock. A very smooth and well-built 5" travel bike.

Most importantly, ride different brands and models and determine what fits and suits you best.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    What you decide on may be influenced by many factors including the type of riding you do and whether or not you want a decent all-arounder or a more specific-purpose type of bike.

For many, the Stumpjumper FSR Comp kind of hits that sweet spot of all-rounder. Specialized has a bunch of 2011 models still in inventory and an authorized dealer near you may be letting them go at very decent clearance prices. My shop has them available for $1999 and they are spec'd nicely with a RS Revelation fork, X9 rear and X7 front with X7 shifters in 3X10, and a Triad II rear shock. A very smooth and well-built 5" travel bike.

Most importantly, ride different brands and models and determine what fits and suits you best.
    Whats the difference between cross country and all mountain? It seems like stumpjumper is a cross country type. Oh if 2011 fsr comp is available for 2000, Should i go for fsr comp 29er 2011? I dont mind spending little more. Thank you for your help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyyoung749 View Post
    Whats the difference between cross country and all mountain?
    Mountain biking types
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

FKA Malibu412
    Whats the difference between cross country and all mountain? It seems like stumpjumper is a cross country type. Oh if 2011 fsr comp is available for 2000, Should i go for fsr comp 29er 2011? I dont mind spending little more. Thank you for your help
    The SJ is classified as an all around trail bike rather than a cross country bike. It is okay at climbing and flat trail riding efficiency but excels more when descending or when the trail is more chunky or technical. It is a bike that dips into the all mountain end of the spectrum--it can climb, turns well and is fast and stable on rougher downhill sections.

XC bikes typically have less suspension travel than trail or all mountain, a more forward seating position and center of gravity, and are lighter in weight. They excel in pedaling efficiency, especially when on flatter, twisty trails and when climbing but may not be as stable when descending. An example of a more XC oriented full suspension bike is the Specialized Epic.

I don't know the exact inventory status of the Comp 29 other than there are not as many available in all sizes like the 26". You may not even be able to find a new 2011 29 in your size while there are definitely more 26ers. And, the pricing won't be as favorable.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    The SJ is classified as an all around trail bike rather than a cross country bike. It is okay at climbing and flat trail riding efficiency but excels more when descending or when the trail is more chunky or technical. It is a bike that dips into the all mountain end of the spectrum--it can climb, turns well and is fast and stable on rougher downhill sections.

XC bikes typically have less suspension travel than trail or all mountain, a more forward seating position and center of gravity, and are lighter in weight. They excel in pedaling efficiency, especially when on flatter, twisty trails and when climbing but may not be as stable when descending. An example of a more XC oriented full suspension bike is the Specialized Epic.

I don't know the exact inventory status of the Comp 29 other than there are not as many available in all sizes like the 26". You may not even be able to find a new 2011 29 in your size while there are definitely more 26ers. And, the pricing won't be as favorable.
    Then i would definiteyl go for SJ. I really wanna go for heavy trail. Thank you!

now in superlight!
    while Specialized does make a very good product...Santa Cruz has the blur for the all mountain experience. I have a 2008 Superlight(xc) and am very happy with it (got it for $2100)...be sure to try out several...ride..ride..ride again to find one that fits you and your riding style....almost everything on the bike can be adjusted to your preference (other than geometry)...and last years models are being clodes out so right now is a great time to find a great deal! Good Luck!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Hi, guys im very new to this forum and also MTB. I own revel 2 from giant for just basic riding around the block.When I realized that I want to try something more exotic like MTB I decided to search for bike thats most suitable for me. Im looking forward to get a real full suspension mountain bike for real off road. I dont even know where to start. There are so many bike brands and prices ranges that makes me almost impossible to choose from. I kinda like stumjumper fsr comp and pivot mach5.7 since is recommended by MTBR. Please help me to choose bike budget around 2000-2500. Cheaper is better but im willing to spend that money for better riding. If there is any blowout sale season bike please let me know. Than you guys!

P.S. I live in NYC area. Thank you!
    First, I never considered myself to be an exotic biker until today!

Anyway, the bike you choose depends an a lot of factors. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy the first one someone recommends to you on a forum personally, its your $ you need to make sure you spend it on what you like.

First decide if you want a 26er or 29er, Only way is probably to find a shop that rents both or ride a buddies.

Then take a look at some good brands in your budget like giant, trek and too many others to list. For your budget you prob wont find a better value than something like the Giant Anthem X, but im not partial to Specialized in the least either

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just read a review in Australian Mountain Bike Magazine on the Giant Trance X3. They said it was outstanding value for money and performance is way beyond its $2k price tag.

Trek Fuel EX 8 is even better again but does cost a little more. It's got the Fox DRCV fork, Shimano XT rear derailleur, SLX shifters and the amazing SLX hydraulic disc brakes.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Revel 2 is already a mountain bike.

Go ride it. Here's a link.

NYCMTB

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, think about a dirt jumper, or geared dirt jumper. Ride Brooklyn Banks. Ride Highbridge and Cunningham.

IMO, Highbridge is pretty tight for a FS, and Cunningham really doesn't need it. If you're getting out of the city, it's another story - there's some XC on Long Island, and I believe there are some more interesting trails as you head north.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx