mtbr member
    Oct 2012

What is your personal best for 10 miles on the rollers

I was getting bored with intervals so i decided just to sprint out ten miles to see how my come back is going. I quit biking for a few years and have been training for a few months now, still fat and slow but improving. I just wanted to see what time real riders could do ten miles in on the rollers. I was at time 23.08 speed 26.0 avg for 10 miles does that still suck. Like I said getting bored training inside I am ready for spring...in shape or not...

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUVILLE FAT KID View Post
    I was at time 23.08 speed 26.0 avg for 10 miles
    That actually seems pretty fast for flatland, hard surface riding.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    What kind of resistance do rollers give you? On my Cycleops fluid 2 the resistance is supposed to be very similar to actually riding on the road. I haven't tried a 10 mile sprint, but I'm guessing I could not get close to a 26 mph average pace on it. I usually ride between an hour to an hour and a half and my average pace is around 15 to 17 mph.

So a 26 mph average speed sounds great to me if the resistance is the same.

mtbr member
    Never timed myself on rollers but you can't really compare speeds on them to actual riding because at that speed about 95% of your energy expended would be devoted solely to breaking the wind, and on rollers there is never any.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    .....95% of your energy expended would be devoted solely to breaking the wind...
    This made me LOL. I often break wind while riding, but it does not take 95% of my energy to do so.....

Back on topic. I would say you are correct. In the real world wind resistance is a big factor, and that is why I asked what kind of resistance rollers give you.

My trainer is supposed to be somewhat calobrated to actually riding on a flat hard surface. Quote from Cycleops web site about my trainer:

"Professional cyclists and renowned scientist Allen Lim worked together to develop a power curve based on a hybrid of road and time trial positions, finding the point at which a speed of 25 mph overlaps with an output of 400 watts."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    This made me LOL. I often break wind while riding, but it does not take 95% of my energy to do so.....

I noticed my failed wording right after I posted and thought about editing it but then figured it would be more fun to just leave it alone.

Resistance could be adjusted to mimic air speed but I guess my point was that you can't really compare results to those of others unless they have the same resistance set up.

It's been a long time since I've had a cyclometer on a bike but as I recall 26 mph average would be smoking fast on a road bike, let alone mtb.

AZ
    banned
    On my CycleOps I probably average 16/17 mph. On rollers hero speeds are pretty easy to achieve, that's why I usually just use them when i get really bored or need to work on pedaling form.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    On my CycleOps I probably average 16/17 mph. On rollers hero speeds are pretty easy to achieve, that's why I usually just use them when i get really bored or need to work on pedaling form.
    Thanks for confirming I'm not a pu$$y. I started to feel bad that I couldn't get close to a 26mph average on my CycleOps.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Thanks for confirming I'm not a pu$$y. I started to feel bad that I couldn't get close to a 26mph average on my CycleOps.
    Yeah, me too! I usually try to avg better than 16 mph on my CycleOps, but I get so damn bored, an hour is about all I can take! I have tried watching movies, iPod, etc...what are your guy's secrets for staying motivated while on the trainer??

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Yeah, me too! I usually try to avg better than 16 mph on my CycleOps, but I get so damn bored, an hour is about all I can take! I have tried watching movies, iPod, etc...what are your guy's secrets for staying motivated while on the trainer??
    I DVR some shows to watch. I mostly try to ride for about an hour at a time. Sometimes more, other times less. It takes both mental and physical endurance. I only jump on my trainer 2 or 3 times a week. The other days I take a spin class with my wife

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I read books off my droid phone mounted on my bars. I average 21 MPH cycleops for 1 hr run at max loading highest gear ratio. It noisey as hell too! Drives my wife crazy. LOL.

Longest I can stand spinning straight through is 1.5 hrs.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post

Movies help get you through the mindless boredom. When that doesn't help anymore I switch to rollers.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Wow. 21 MPH average for a 1 hour run. I'm impressed. Do you whear a heart monitor? If so what zone are you in mostly?

When I ride on my trainer I am mostly in zone 3. (Average speed is 16mph + or -) When I push it during intervals its easy for me to reach the top of zone 5, but I can only do this for a few minutes at a time. My max speed during this is about 28mph.

I ride the Fluid 2 which is silent and has an increasing resistance as my speed increases.

You must have one of the air resistance cycleops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I don't monitor my heart rate. It is air resistance cycleop. I am spinning on an Special ed hybred with street slicks I picked up a a pawn shop for $100. I had it for three years and it keeps on ticking. I putting 200+ miles a week on it right now due to the crappy weather. Just got a surly pug, and have been sneaking out on it some this week, but there is too much snow now.

I found reading a good book, I can total zone out the ride until I start sweating so much my glass gloss over or I drip sweat on the droid screen and it freaks out. LOL

Professional Crastinator
    I haven't used mine in awhile, but I have found that the CycleOps Fluid 2 mimics actual resistance pretty closely - http://www.cycleops.cz/files/trainers.pdf
    The resistance of the unit itself is proportional to your speed, like wind resistance would be. You just shift up to get more resistance and try to maintain cadence.

For 10 miles I usu. avg. 17.5mph on the trainer (in the middle of Winter), but I have done a real 20mph outside on a flat path (in the middle of Summer with ideal conditions). Top end on the flats for any duration is 24mph for maybe 10 minutes tops.

So even with any resistance, 26mph sounds pretty good.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. This was using my road bike on the CycleOps Power Rollers resistance is nothing more than the rubber band. I have tried my mtb on it, that was a joke without some slicks or street type tires. The whether has me stuck inside rain rain and closed trails. My goal the last three months has been to ride outside regardless of whether with mtb 2 days and rollers 2 days and weights 3 days. I am just getting bored

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Spring is right around the corner. I would take the rain over the ice and snow I have now. I have some interesting MUP's that I ride when things are sloppy. Its a shame the I'm going to get ZERO miles outside in February. I'll try to make it up in March!

For something different take your rollers out to the garage with the garage door open or out on a covered patio while it rains.

Good luck and keep "rolling". You will be riding outside before you know it.

Ride More, Whine Less
    My trainer is a progressive resistance fluid trainer. The power curve isn't just like the real road, but it is close. 17mph is sustainable for a long time. 19mph is work. 20mph + starts to get intense fast.

Speaking of this, comparing sustained speed isn't a fair metric. Comparing sustained watts or watts per kg is where it is at. This is the premise of an FTP test.

Functional Threshold Power (FTP): A Key Metric for Cycling Performance - Cycling Commentary

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    My trainer is a progressive resistance fluid trainer. The power curve isn't just like the real road, but it is close. 17mph is sustainable for a long time. 19mph is work. 20mph + starts to get intense fast.

Speaking of this, comparing sustained speed isn't a fair metric. Comparing sustained watts or watts per kg is where it is at. This is the premise of an FTP test.

Functional Threshold Power (FTP): A Key Metric for Cycling Performance - Cycling Commentary
    This is where I see the value of the chart I linked above. I def. see it as a "power" thing rather than a "speed" thing. I actually have an equation, based on the Fluid2 power curve to relate avg. speed in mph to watts, then I multiply by time = Kilowatt-hours. This is a very useful, real-world metric (not that you couldn't just do it with speed anyway).
    It's effing boring, though - even with vids.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Bro Mountainbiker
    The rollers I borrow are the type where you can spin out a 53x11.

So lets just say I averaged 45mph for 10 miles.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    13 years and counting. I think I have about 6 or 7 total miles on rollers, I should make 10 miles by the time I turn 40.

Ride More, Whine Less

What is your personal best for 10 miles on the rollers

Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    13 years and counting. I think I have about 6 or 7 total miles on rollers, I should make 10 miles by the time I turn 40.
    I've 1000s of trainer miles. I would probably only made 1 on a set of rollers. 1 mile would have been enough for me to have crashed the bike into the wall or tv.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm also in the single digits for trainer miles, I rode a Computrainer once when our shop got one and the entire staff got into a contest to see who could crank out the most watts in a sprint. Fun times!