Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mine was a late 80's or early 90's schwinn, sierra I think. It was red with black splatter paint. Complete with a matching rigid fork. It had all the gear, full lx, toe clips, computer, bar ends and a girvin rock ring!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the kraken View Post
    Mine was a late 80's or early 90's schwinn, sierra I think. It was red with black splatter paint. Complete with a matching rigid fork. It had all the gear, full lx, toe clips, computer, bar ends and a girvin rock ring!
    I faintly remember that model. Any photos?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    I faintly remember that model. Any photos?

I do have one pic of that bike. It's a scan so it looks like crap

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

First Mountain Bike

Klein Pulse Compis my first mountain bike. I had always ridden road, starting with Peugot, then upgrading to Mercian and finally Colnago.
    Wanted to upgrade my Klein, but unable to remove rear cog set. Tried using chain wrench and lock ring tool, but it wouldn't budge counter clockwise, (or in either direction).
    I love the Klein as it has been a strong and rock solid bike, but after 15 years needs upgrading.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    First was an early 90s Trek Antelope 820. I then saved plenty of summer grass cutting money to buy a brand new 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp M2. Still one of my favorite bikes to this day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    First real one I had was a Marin nail trail that lasted for at least 12 years. Had new everything except a bottom bracket, seat post and seat post clamp. Did thousands of miles till one of the chain stays started to crack. I put that down to using it on a turbo trainer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1987 Diamond Back Assent EX. Yellow paint scheme

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My nephews birthday is coming up. What age were you guys when you got your first mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jenlong View Post
    My nephews birthday is coming up. What age were you guys when you got your first mountain bike?
    I was 22 going on 23 when I purchased my first mountain bike. But that was in 1987 when mountain bikes weren't as ubiquitous as they are now. Kids weren't riding mountain bikes yet in those days.

Depending on how old your nephew is, I would consider getting him a bike that he can take care of himself. . . something simple like a bmx bike. Mountain bikes have a lot of intricate components that can be pretty difficult to take care of or fix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was 14 in that pic above, riding to my first job that paid for that bike. Things were a lot different back then though (20 years ago). Most kids these days couldn't care less about bikes. Just buy him an ipad

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My first real bike was a mid-90s Univega Rover, rigid.

I build my own.
    50 years ago.
    Holy crap! I'm old.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    My first bike was a 1987 specialized hardrock with 24" wheels and suntour xcd 4050 components. I was 11 years old. My favourite day of the month was when my mountain bike action magazine arrived.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first mountain bike?-hardrock.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    my first bike was a british eagle in late 90s

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A brand new 1992 Specialized Hard Rock which I still have and ride 6 days a week.

mtbr member
    My first was a used 1996 Cannondale Delta V F400. Got it when I was ten. Rode it for 3 or so years and then passed it down to my sister.

mtbr member
    93 Specialized Hardrock. New from LBS. Front fork with about 25 mm travel. Couldn't believe how much money I was spending, my heart was racing. That thing lasted less than 2 months.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    department store 'apollo' yeh still got it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Raleigh Technium Instinct. Bought it around 1990.

Challenged by Gravity
    Oct 2008
    It was a 1990/1 Trek 970. Black with some white splatter highlights. Bent the frame going off a 4 foot drop with no suspension. Replaced it with a first generation carbon fiber frame, the Trek 8000. Talk about flex!!! ;-)

mtbr member
    Bump

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My first mountain bike was a gary fisher Joshua F3. Blazing orange and just a beautiful bike. It was kind of sluggish in how it handled and i broke the frame in 3 years. It was a great ride. After a two frame replacements i'm riding a gary fisher Sugar 3+ 2003 model which i have found to be very nimble.

Old N Slow
    Mid 90's Trek 7000 hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    1990 Schwinn High Plains or something like that.
    But my first "real" mountain bike was [IS] a 1992 Trek 8700 carbon fiber with Rock Shox Mag 20.
    Added Nuke Proof hubs, Bontrager rims, Panaracer Smoke/Dart, carbon bars, Onza porcupine grips, original Shimano SPDs. I still have it in this configuration and rode it up until last year.
    Still have the neon Yellow Trek Helmet and I still use the stupid Shimano spd shoes in blue/gray/teal. I really need to upgrade!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My first Mountain Bike was a Raleigh Lizard.

At the time it was awesome!

I cant remember the exact date, but it must have been around 1990. I was 12

Cant post pics or I would put one up.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast