Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It was Rog Joma, long time ago back in 1997/8 i think

What could go wrong ...
    Mine was a 1988 Peugeot St Laurent that I still have and use as a commuter bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Trail Connoisseur
    1992 GT Avalanche, Got it with the Rock Shock Mag 20... 48mm of plush travel I loved that bike! Here is the picture I used to sell it on ebay... if you have this bike I'll buy it back from you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first mountain bike?-picture-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mine was a black and red front susp. 1995 Trek 950. I later upgraded the front fork to a Judy. that thing saw 1,000's of miles!

I like pie.
    Trek 820. I'd post it up but they didn't have digital cameras in 1992.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    1999 Specialized Hardrock. I was 20

mtbr member
    at the time i got the DB Ascent ex i was originally gonna get an overdrive at that time 29er but they where sold out and they only had 1 DB the one in my photo or a John Tomac Signature Mongoose i looked at both and the Tomac mongoose look classy but the Ascent ex looked futuristic for the time! with the Predecessors of the Rapid fires and the predecessors of the Shimano Saint brakes shimano exage in 93 was very futuristic looking for its time! for todays bike world its obsolete but back than it was futuristic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    '92 or '93 DB Topanga. With purple lightning graphics. Oh yeah!!!
    that is actually a 93 topanga it shares the same purple color as my Ascent Ex!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bright red 199? Specialized Hard Rock -- the entry level model. Didn't ride that on a trail until years later, but that first trail was an out and back to Dutch Creek starting from the bottom part of Hermosa Creek Trail. That really lit the fire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    1993 Trek 830. $430 and frame made in WI...
    whatever...

mtbr member
    1991 Hardrock. Found this pic on the intarwebs. Same color with same matching water bottle cage . I even had a white specialize water bottle to match. Lol. Had one of those bell helmets with the spandex sock thing.

Ended up breaking the original forks (think only the frame or mayve even the main triangle was chromo and fork that year was mild steel). Replaced it with a newer (95?) rigid hardrock fork that was chromo (dark green and pink). Ovalized the head tube on the original frame and replaced it with another hardrock frame which was black and yellow (don't know year, mid 90s). Pretty much everything was replaced: saddle, seat post, stem and bars etc.I kept my pink toe clip straps for pretty much the life or the bike (one of the few things I didn't break). Ended up being a pretty ugly bike in the end. Wonder if there are any shots of me with it in an old year book (road on the school team with that pieced together bike)...

What was your first mountain bike?-1991hardrock.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    GT Richter 8.0 1993'ish. I had a Giant something or other before that but it was more hybrid than mt bike, I just rose it like a mt bike ;-)

NMBP

1995 Schwinn Moab Elite

What was left of the chrome moly beast when I stripped the parts and gave the frame to a local co-op.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first mountain bike?-dsc01925.jpg  

Discovering riding again.
    Jun 2012
    My first mountain bike is a Trek 930 which i am looking to build up this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, from like 1989. Red Black and Yellow. Probably weighed 30 lbs!

not-real-slow
    1986 Cannondale SM500
    Red with yellow decals.
    Roller cam brakes.
    Friction-type thumb shifters.
    3x5 Suntour drivetrain.
    Rigid fork.
    Brooks saddle.

Got it brand new.
    Stumpjumper Marathon 29

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't know the details on my first one besides it being a blue and yellow hardtail made by Pacific. A real workhorse though, it took a lot of abuse and hundreds of miles a year and the only thing I ever had to replace on it was a few pairs of new tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Rocky Mountain

Rocky Mountain - Trailhead 2010...

mtbr member
    I am older and bought my first mtn bike about 1986 - a Bike Nashbar ridgid (was there anything else?).

It had all the latest stuff, "biopace" chain rings. "indexed" thumbshifters. "U Brake" chain stay mounted rear brake (what a (#@*$ disaster that idea was). It was all I could afford at about $330. While it was nice for a while, it fell apart under rough use. I ended up buying new wheels after destroying them from just wear and tear. Bottom bracket (no name loose ball). Headset (loose ball). Bike would not keep a tune and required frequent repair/adjustments.

I ended up turning it into a commuter bike which it was decent for, but then eventually gave it to a bike coop where they have ghetto kids rebuild bikes.

I got so tired of replacing stuff and still having a crappy ride I went in '93 and paid $1000 (huge money in those days) for a Cannondale with headshok. Was so stoked to do a ride and find that the bike was still tuned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey guys I'm getting my very first bike tomorrow it'll be a Specialized Hardrock. However, I'm stuck on which one to choose and wonder if I can get help as an entry level rider. I have a $500 budget as for now. It's pretty much going to be used everyday for at least an hour and every weekend for about 2-3 hours on trails and parks.

Buddy of mines has a 2004 Specialized Hardrock Sport $75, completely stock. Then use the spare money to do some upgrades if not upgrade all parts of the bike. Then get other gears.
    or
    Should I go for the 2011/2012 Specialized Hardrock brand new and not worry about any upgrades for now.

mtbr member
    1984 (?) Schwinn Sierra. I added Oakley BMX grips, Specialized Ground Control tires. I once rode it in a 50-mile race in Pennsylvania - the Punxsutawney Groundhog 50.

The fork broke attempting a 4' ish drop onto flat concrete. The drop was a loading dock at the Medina Supply in Medina, Ohio next to Garfield School. I still occasionally cut the scar on my chin from that when I shave.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    It had all the latest stuff, "biopace" chain rings. "indexed" thumbshifters. "U Brake" chain stay mounted rear brake (what a (#@*$ disaster that idea was).
    LOL - exactly like my 88' Diamonback. All I remember about the U-Brake was how well it packed up mud ;-) Rest of the bike was solid though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    GT Agressor, LIME GREEN!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Huffy, don't remember the make and model anymore though. Was rigid style and had the old style thumb lever shifters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Giant boulder... in brownish/tan color

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast