Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard43 View Post
    1986 Norco Bush Pilot, forest green, rigid fork. Still have it.
    Oops, it is an Alpine not a Bush Pilot.

mtbr member
    I was bought Specialized Hardrock Sport 2009 model and never ride on mountains.

mtbr member
    Late bloomer when it comes to a "real" MTB. '09 Moto 700HT.

Before that I quasi-MTB'd on an old 90s Peugeot Hybrid.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    My first Mountain bike was a brand new 1987 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo, blue with new deore, state of the art u brake under chainstays. It was awesome.
    Scott "PAPAISH" Daley

mtbr member

What was your first mountain bike?

My first mountain bike was a 1996 Parkpre Pro 825. Full rigid steel frame and cantilever brakes. I fell off that bike many times. It was a 17” frame so didn't really fit that well. It looked a lot like this one from Retrobike (not my original bike as I couldn't find a photo).

View topic - Project Parkpre Pro825 | Retrobike

How was your first riding experience?

My first full suspension bike was a 1997 Marin Mount Vision. Weighing a little over 30lbs it had an aluminium frame, 100mm rear travel, Fox Vanilla coil over shock, a Marzocchi Z1 BAM 100mm travel suspension fork and V-brakes. (In this picture dating from 2008 it has Shimano Dual Control shifters fitted. It originally came with Shimano STI Rapid Fire pods). The frame couldn't accept disc brakes which is why I eventually replaced it.

The 1997 Marin Mount Vision was a great bike that pedalled well whilst providing a comfortable and controlled ride. It still wouldn't disgrace itself against a current full suspension bike from today. The first time I saw a Marin Mount Vision was at the 1997 Polaris challenge two day orienteering event held on Exmoor. A pair of riders on another team were riding matching Mount Visions and they looked to be going really well, which made me take notice. When I got to test ride one at a bike shop later in the year I was sold by how well it performed and had to have one.

My current bike, a 2012 Specialized Epic 29er. It weighs around 25lbs with a carbon fibre frame, 100mm air sprung suspension travel front and rear, carbon fibre rims, a Powertap hub and hydraulic disc brakes. When you look at the Marin alongside it gives an idea of how design fashions have changed over the years.

Last edited by WR304; 04-02-2013 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by socalkev View Post
    Attachment 703706 Diamondback Ascent EX 1993
    My first mountain bike was a Huffy bought from Canadian Tire if I remember correctly. I don't have a picture to share, but it was a mighty bike.

I ran into a lot of problems because it wasn't the highest quality bike. I still had a blast riding it though.

Super Clyde

What was your first mountain bike?

My first MTN bike was a 1993 Giant Rincon which was stolen, so I replaces it with a 1994 Fuji full rigid CroMo. The chain stay cracked from so much chain suck so I replaced it with a 2001 Jamis Eureka hard tail, which I currently ride. I'm too big for a FS, and it still works great so there's no reason to replace it.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    My first MTN bike was a 1993 Giant Rincon which was stolen, so I replaces it with a 1994 Fuji full rigid CroMo. The chain stay cracked from so much chain suck so I replaced it with a 2001 Jamis Eureka hard tail, which I currently ride. I'm too big for a FS, and it still works great so there's no reason to replace it.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    It seems to be a trend. Those first mountain bikes aren't always the best, but they get the job done

mtbr member
    '13 Giant Revel 1. First one I've bought myself. Before the Giant, I was riding a Mongoose.
    A meal is not complete without a bowl of rice.

mtbr member
    New to the MTB scene (8 months or so) and this is my first bike. Love it!!

mtbr member
    1987? Specialized HardRock... or was it a RockHopper...
    Not certain what I was thinking regarding safety gear. But hey, it was the 80s
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This is my first adult MTB. Bought it 2001. Didn't have a clue about mountain bikes back then. I chose the bike that has more shock absorbers.

Yes it's a URT (they were popular back then). It never occurred to me to replace some components before buying my second MTB 2 years ago. So I recently replaced the crank, the BB, the chain, the rear derailleur and the pedals. And now it rides better than it did the first time I rode it 12 years ago. I just need to buy a new fork but I can't find any threaded forks anymore.

Now, I hardly use the other bike.

My second bike.

Last edited by Gundam168; 04-05-2013 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    This is my first adult MTB. Bought it 2001.

It never occured to me to replace some components before buying my second MTB 2 years ago. So I recently replaced the crank, the BB, the chain, the rear derailleur and the pedals. And now it rides better than it did the first time I rode it 12 years ago. I hardly use the other bike anymore. I just need to buy a new fork but I can't find any threaded forks anymore.
    That's awesome. I love it when you can breath life back into an older bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My first bike was a DiamondBack, circa 1988..can't remember the model. No suspension...I was in high school and rode as much as I could. As you can see in the pic, I was looking mean in front of my DiamondBack MTB.

My first bike with suspension was a 1996 Nishiki Backroads. I added a Rock Shox Mag 21 and went everywhere with that MTB.
    Now in this pic, I am sporting a nice set of bike shorts and a huge helmet (safety and comfort first).

Miss that Nishiki.....
    Looking forward to riding.....

MarkyMark
    Late 90's (?) Stumpjumper with Rock Shox Judy fork! I was addicted after my first ride.

mtbr member
    1989 Marin Eldridge Grade

mtbr member
    Specialized Hard Rock Cruze, I wanna say '91. Pearl white with blue lettering. Beat the crap out of it so much that the shop mechs would groan every time I came by to fix something. I still have it, on its 4th fork, 2nd mismatched wheelset (now 8 speed rear). It's basically backup for others who may need it if I go riding with friends, just can't seem to let it go, may have to someday convert to SS since Suntour XCT is still the component group, mostly.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would say my Metallic Orange Trek 800 sport was my first real mountain bike. My brother had a green one and as kids we beat the crap out of those bikes. We raced through glen trails behind our house then into the neighborhood. We crashed a lot, had bike drag races where we ripped on our Gripshifts and rode down stairs. Those were some great bikes in the early '00s

Your Best Friend
    1991 Trek 7000. Started the love on this bike. Who knew the path it would take me on?

edit: this image is not my bike but the best representation I could find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first mountain bike?-trek-bike.jpg  

I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Jamis Diablo in the smoke color. 1987 maybe?

mtbr member
    1997 GT LTS-2. This was in 2010 when I started riding. A little past its prime but I rebuilt it all and I kept up with all my buddies on way newer bikes with better technology. I miss that bike, love my new one but I should have kept my GT as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Mongoose IBOC comp 1994. I have another one now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first mountain bike?-dsc00122.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The GT timberline that I bought used got me started in 2009', The Yamaha "moto-bike" got me started in 1975! (but I won't try to say that was MTB)

Nickel Havr
    A hunter green Giant Yukon.... Back in 96 or 97.

Still have the frame stashed away somewhere.... I wanna dig it up and turn it into a SS
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast