mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What would you do?! Wheels or ss29er?!

So I'm a broke college student. I love my Giant Trance x but the wheels are the low man on the totem pole. Stock Giant PXC2 wheelset. Everything else is awesome. Fox, SLX, Hayes, little bit o bling...

I also love to ride my buddies single speed 29er and am DYING to have my own!

I only have enough to do 1. Buy sunringle' charger pro's for my Trance x or Buy a Rigid single-speed 29er and get super frakin' STRONG!

What would you do???

Rogue Exterminator
    You should do whatever will make you smile more.

For me it would be another bike.
    Can't say that will make you smile as much though.

clown question, bro
    New SS. Even a "cheap" one is a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

FKA Malibu412
    kj is dead on. If I could make the stock wheels work and kind of baby them along, then the SS would be how I'd spend my coin for the new challenges and smiles.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You should do whatever will make you smile more.

For me it would be another bike.
    Can't say that will make you smile as much though.
    Totally! I would love the new wheels but I would loooooove the option of a 2nd bike just to mix things up. I have a road bike too but I commute to work on it enough to regret selling it. (I hate road riding by the way)

The only thing is I'll only have about $400 for either the wheels or the bike. I have been creeping on-one and surly threads in hopes to build one of those frames but its just not financially feasible this year

Found a great deal on a 2011' new in shop redline monocog in my budget though. I just keep juggling wheels or bike. I know the bike will make me way more happier but the idea of an upgrade always creeps up. Grrrr!

Edit* by the way. about 2 years ago I had a Fuji Tahoe 29er built up as rigid ss and I sold it to buy the trance. Glad I did it but I have always missed that bike

Rogue Exterminator
    $400 to spend = Gravity G29 from Bikes Direct and it leaves you with $50 to spare.

Best bang for the buck IMO.

The Nasbar SS is $450 but I have seen it on sale for $400

Not too much else that you can get new for $400.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

What would you do?! Wheels or ss29er?!

Why not buy a used one? Saves you enough money to be on your way to buying a new wheelset.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I will definitely keep an eye out for a used one. I heard the monocog was a pretty fun bike so it intrigues me the most. especially at $400 new. The gravity g29 is an aluminum frame. I was trying to keep it steel. BD is out of the dawes ss in 17" even though the site says its still in stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I say DEFINATLY get the Monocog! I've had ine for 7 years now. Other bikes have come and gone but this one is a keeper. A set of wheels is probably not as big a deal as you think and you are more likely to second guess that purchase. Monocog now, better wheels later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    People might have had different times than me, but my experience on craigslist is absolutely terrible. Ive gotten screwed once or twice and I feel like the people on there have no clue what they even post about. Pretty much upping the value of a bad bike, but when someone new to the sport can look at it go... yeah walmart bike, for 400... I'm good. lol

B.Ike
    +1 on the monocog. Having a backup bike is priceless. I have an se stout, that I bought at a similar price, nothing left original but the frame.

Combat Wombat
    And if you end up like most of us after buying a SS to supplement your FS rig, the money you get from selling the FS bike later on will still let you get a set of sweet SS wheels.

mtbr member
    Getting my Karate Monkey changed my life. SS 29er mountain bike is just an incredible combo.

Some of the benefits of single speed are so unexpected. For example, there's something about not having to think about shifting, locking out the fork, pro-pedal... Instead of doing all that, I find myself looking down the trail and devoting that spare mental energy into thinking about my line in a whole new way. Just such a different mindset. I love it.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    So I'm a broke college student. I love my Giant Trance x but the wheels are the low man on the totem pole. Stock Giant PXC2 wheelset. Everything else is awesome. Fox, SLX, Hayes, little bit o bling...

I also love to ride my buddies single speed 29er and am DYING to have my own!

I only have enough to do 1. Buy sunringle' charger pro's for my Trance x or Buy a Rigid single-speed 29er and get super frakin' STRONG!

What would you do???
    the only con to ss29er/rigid, is that rigid 26ers will forever feel too harsh (my experience).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was going to say wheels, but the "get super frakin' STRONG!" sounds too fun...do that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: What would you do?! Wheels or ss29er?!

Well damn... A couple of big jobs I had lined up, fell through. Now I came get either! Ah well! Time to stop drinking beer and eating out and maybe ill be able to get a used SS!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Well damn... A couple of big jobs I had lined up, fell through. Now I came get either! Ah well! Time to stop drinking beer and eating out and maybe ill be able to get a used SS!

Every bike is potentially a single speed. Keep an open mind when searching.

mtbr member
    Deff single speed... opens up many more oppurtunites

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Man, I'd go for the new bike. Altho, I wouldn't go for a rigid, I'm too old for that isht. I'd have to have a sussy fork on it, but you could always add one later. If you felt you needed one.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sorry to hear about the jobs! I'm a college student also and its easy to tell when I really get the urge for a new toy/upgrade! I start counting beers and any other pointless expenses in bike parts...'Should I go out this weekend? 2 nights of fun or that new ______ I've been wanting!' Needless to say, I usually end up with the new bike parts, much to the dismay of the girlfriend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Also, when you do get the money saved up, I'd definitely go for a used SS and it will keep your mind off the new wheels for a while, giving you time to save up for the upgrade!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: What would you do?! Wheels or ss29er?!

Oh man the girls hate the bike realted purchases! Eventually they find out how expensive the hobby really is!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...