Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What would good jockey wheels look like?

957 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jimwg 
#1 ·
In the first instance I'm not searching for manufacturer and model names, but for which body materials and bearings are the best, how to maintain them, and other important things that could help to improve my XC performance.

#4 ·
well, I train well and often, and my coach won't let me riding more. So I want to improve my performance by more taking care of my bike, so I started planning the preseason rebuild timely. In my opinion jockey wheels are underestimated parts of the drivetrain, and they are often in the role of the weakest link. Please, tell me if You think I'm wrong....

#7 ·
Most any aftermarket RD jockey/idler wheels have cartridge bearings instead of the "bushing and washers" that are put on low/mid priced derailleurs. That makes the difference. A little silt and or sand can really screw up the cheap stock assembly, but will usually not penetrate a sealed unit bearing. The ones I got at Performance bikes cost $11 (alum.) there may be more expensive ones out there with ceramic bearings or whatnot if you really want to spend more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.