Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What to use to plug ends of Monkey Lite XC bar

975 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  manabiker 
#1 ·
So I have some Race Face Diabolus grips and a '09 Monkey Lite XC (carbon) bar. Problem is, the plug included with Diabolus grips don't fit in the Monkey Lite. The material is too unforgiving to squeeze into the hole. As this is a carbon bar, there is no surprise that the I.D. of the bar is smaller than an aluminum bar.

With that said, I am sure many here are running the Monkey Lite and ran into the same issue. What did you find to plug the ends? Secondly, why in the heck does Easton not package plugs with the bar to avoid this issue?

#7 ·
why do you need plugs?
I don't use them, most are ugly and they really serve no purpose....... I suppose that out there somewhere is a guy who had a crazy cartwheeling crash and punched a hole in his leg, but really, it's a few grams of plastic you don't need

#9 ·
scyule said:
why do you need plugs?
I don't use them, most are ugly and they really serve no purpose....... I suppose that out there somewhere is a guy who had a crazy cartwheeling crash and punched a hole in his leg, but really, it's a few grams of plastic you don't need
yeah, and when you lay your bike down a crunch up those carbon ends who cares, right?

#10 ·
scyule said:
why do you need plugs?
Ever had to lean your bike on is side when there is nothing to prop against? Or have the bike tip after you thought you rested it up safely? Ya get a nice big dirt core sample in your bars.
Not a big deal, it will take some digging out.

I just think it looks stupid without them. I was worried that another type of plug would be just the same. Still, I don't know why Easton doesn't send them with the bar owing to the fact that this may be an issue with any grip, do to the I.D. of the bar.

#14 ·
I use them under my Oury grips to stop from getting holes in the end of them, there are different sizes for different bars, and if you don't put them small pieces of plastic, you can end up with a few grams of dirt in there, if you want chrome go to the hardware store and try some pipe ends. Or plug them with carrots, candy or something else edible, then you can eat them for a snack..LOL!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.