Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

What type of bike should I get?

Hi, i'm new to this sport & I was wondering what would be the best choice for me. I need a bike that can be used off-road & on-road, mostly on-road to get to off-road parts, the type of terrain is rough & rocky, I wont be doing any crazy jumps or backflips, just some fast down-hill & up-hill riding, since i'm a beginner, i'll most likely be falling quite a lot + i'm a pretty rough person, so resistance is a must.

So far i've picked these out, not sure if they're what im looking for or if they're worth their price.

Talon 29er (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Specialized Bicycle Components

X-Caliber 6 - Trek Bicycle

Marlin 7 - Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those are all good entry level bikes. The one thing you're missing out on at that price point is an air fork.

2014's are being closed out right now, so you might be able to get a good deal locally.

You might also consider buying used if you're comfortable without a warranty and can do basic maintenance.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free- View Post
    Hi, i'm new to this sport & I was wondering what would be the best choice for me. I need a bike that can be used off-road & on-road, mostly on-road to get to off-road parts, the type of terrain is rough & rocky, I wont be doing any crazy jumps or backflips, just some fast down-hill & up-hill riding, since i'm a beginner, i'll most likely be falling quite a lot + i'm a pretty rough person, so resistance is a must.

So far i've picked these out, not sure if they're what im looking for or if they're worth their price.

Talon 29er (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Specialized Bicycle Components

X-Caliber 6 - Trek Bicycle

Marlin 7 - Trek Bicycle
    im glad your spending a tad more than most. I, myself spend 400 and regret it. i'm in southern cali with lots of rocks and hills and technical parts.
    i wish i went with a used full suspension . all those bikes are great. don't look over the airborne 2.0 . I was just suggested that for my friend that is just getting started in the sport.

what is your price limit? are those bikes your limit? it will help you alot of go get fitted at a local shop and see what you like and don't like about different bikes. happy hunting. WELCOME
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er
    'Merica runs on coffee and bacon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Those are all good entry level bikes. The one thing you're missing out on at that price point is an air fork.

2014's are being closed out right now, so you might be able to get a good deal locally.

You might also consider buying used if you're comfortable without a warranty and can do basic maintenance.
    What wrong with having spring ones?

Good idea, I'll try see if I can get a better deal
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewheels29 View Post
    im glad your spending a tad more than most. I, myself spend 400 and regret it. i'm in southern cali with lots of rocks and hills and technical parts.
    i wish i went with a used full suspension . all those bikes are great. don't look over the airborne 2.0 . I was just suggested that for my friend that is just getting started in the sport.

what is your price limit? are those bikes your limit? it will help you alot of go get fitted at a local shop and see what you like and don't like about different bikes. happy hunting. WELCOME
    What do you mean by a used full suspension, sorry I'm a nooby to the bike world. My budget is 800-900. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Used - not new.
    Full suspension - rear shock as well as front fork. Unless you've really done your homework, I'd stay away from used FS bikes.
    Coil fork - very limited adjustability for rider weight and fine tuning, often very poor and nonadjustable compression and rebound.
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member

To be honest what happens if you spend that 900 and you use it for a month? And then becomes a dust magnet. I would lower your budget. Unless your a bigger guy that needs the extra stopping power in better brakes and better front suspension. But go to a bike shop and get fitted and tell them how your riding. Where. When . Ect and they will find you the right bike. Don't go to a ***** or sports authority. Go to your local shop.

Sent from my vault using Tapatalk
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    To be honest what happens if you spend that 900 and you use it for a month? And then becomes a dust magnet. I would lower your budget. Unless your a bigger guy that needs the extra stopping power in better brakes and better front suspension. But go to a bike shop and get fitted and tell them how your riding. Where. When . Ect and they will find you the right bike. Don't go to a ***** or sports authority. Go to your local shop.

I've been riding with an old crappy bike I had since 1990s, since I kinda fell in love with the sport, mostly the adrenaline rush from going downhill 60km/h xD I'm a pretty big guy, I weigh roughly 180-190lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Used - not new.
    Full suspension - rear shock as well as front fork. Unless you've really done your home word, I'd stay away from used FS bikes.
    Coil fork - very limited adjustability for rider weight and fine tuning, often very poor and nonadjustable compression and rebound.
    Oh thanks!

mtbr member

Well then go with your budget. And buy smart. Don't buy fast. I'm an impulse buyer and that's a horrible idea for a bike.

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can drop the Marlin. A Suntour 'X' fork without hydraulic lockout doesn't have rebound damping and is a pogo stick on bumps going downhill.

mtbr member

I have a suntour thankfully there's a lock out.

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

29ers Forever
    The X-Cal is the best bike there.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to to some shops on a off hour talk with the employees ,test ride a lot of different bikes ,pick one that fits ,repeat in a year or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a suntour thankfully there's a lock out.
    It's got to be a 2014 or newer fork with a hydraulic lockout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There's so much more to a fork than a lockout. Frankly, I don't even use it anymore.
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You can drop the Marlin. A Suntour 'X' fork without hydraulic lockout doesn't have rebound damping and is a pogo stick on bumps going downhill.
    Lol noted. What should I be looking at when it comes to the fork? Would air fork up the price by a lot? I've been looking at 3 different makes and none offer air forks for my price range, and I'm scared to buy expensive since I'll probably end up f@#Ģing the bike up xD

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well then go with your budget. And buy smart. Don't buy fast. I'm an impulse buyer and that's a horrible idea for a bike.

I'll try not to

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The X-Cal is the best bike there.
    What makes it the best? o.O

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Go to to some shops on a off hour talk with the employees ,test ride a lot of different bikes ,pick one that fits ,repeat in a year or so.
    Unfortunately, the bike shop pre-orders the bike for you, so I wouldn't be able to test them.

29ers Forever
    What makes it the best? o.O
    It has a 9 speed, lockout suspension, and Trek's G2 Geometry, arguably the best 29er geometry around. It also has Shimano brakes.

On further comparison with the other bikes, the X-Cal 6 is less expensive than the Specialized and Giant, and has similar and better component spec than them.
    The Marlin has a low quality frame, silver grade alloy compared to gold grade alloy.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It has a 9 speed, lockout suspension, and Trek's G2 Geometry, arguably the best 29er geometry around. It also has Shimano brakes.

On further comparison with the other bikes, the X-Cal 6 is less expensive than the Specialized and Giant, and has similar and better component spec than them.
    The Marlin has a low quality frame, silver grade alloy compared to gold grade alloy.
    Oh ok, thanks for that! Do you know any other good makes I could look at?

29ers Forever
    Oh ok, thanks for that! Do you know any other good makes I could look at?
    At that price (below $800) your best bet would be the Trek X-Cal6. Other companies do make bikes at that price, but they do not have the same level components as the Trek does.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er

mtbr member

Re: What type of bike should I get?

At that price (below $800) your best bet would be the Trek X-Cal6. Other companies do make bikes at that price, but they do not have the same level components as the Trek does.
    False.

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Actually you are wrong. The fork on the Airborne and Trek (although different brands) are similar.
    They are both 3x9, and the Trek has better brakes.
    Also with the Airborne you won't get the same customer support, warranty, and discounts you will get if you buy a bike from a bike shop.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast