Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    addicted

What is this thing called "Rep Power"

So there was some sort of upgrade last night, and it seems everyone got extra icons. Does anyone know what the deal is?
    Last edited by willrace4food; 05-26-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by willrace4food View Post
    So there was some sort of upgrade last night, and it seems everyone got extra icons. Does anyone know what the deal is?
    Click on the balance scale icon and see.

Details are there if you click the FAQ link in the blue bar
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Derptastic
    Its a common feature on a lot of forums. If someone posts a quality post, give em some rep!

Stucco Bucket
    Its a module that comes with vbulletin.

mtbr member
    Checking mine..

edit: hella rep
    :wq

Retired User
    If it's a new feature then how exactly has prior "Rep Power" been established? Not covered in FAQs.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Likely a combination of number of posts, join date, and the ability to maintain positive reputation. At least thats the way it works on sevenforums. Seven has badges too.

Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    If it's a new feature then how exactly has prior "Rep Power" been established? Not covered in FAQs.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Likely a combination of number of posts, join date, and the ability to maintain positive reputation. At least thats the way it works on sevenforums. Seven has badges too.
    Thanks. Yeah, the first 2 make sense, but I don't see how the 3rd applies if the feature never existed before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, the first 2 make sense, but I don't see how the 3rd applies if the feature never existed before.
    From the FAQ:

The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
    Joker is probably dead on and the values were set as a starting point. If the feature didn't exist before then obviously it's not currently based on reputation given to you prior to the upgrade.

http://forums.mtbr.com/faq.php?s=&do...l&titlesonly=0
    :wq

mtbr member
    You postcountwhores who put 5 or 6 separate posts in a thread about the same thing (not saying any names).... rejoice!

Mountain Man Dan
    It is given by other users for the forum, if you answer someones question or help them out, they should click that scale and send you some rep. If you help out a lot, your rep will go up( if that person leaves rep ). It has nothing to do with posts, etc. It's only given by other users. I remember it from another vbulletin forum.

Don't ask for rep either.

FKA Malibu412
    This is going to be fun!
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Green Wrencher

"Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges....."

the test dummy
    haha yes we even have negative reps
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

ronbo613
    "Rep Power" was real popular on computer and tech forums when it first came out. Soon it became a way to "get back" at people you didn't like. "Good" rep for your internet buddies, "Bad" rep for people you don't like, no matter the content of their posts.
    Since even the most inert subject on MBR usually turns into a pissing match, the "rep" feature should be a real bonus. Forum users with thousands of posts will lose sleep over their "rep", many will think twice before posting anything or just not bother to participate, some won't even notice they have a rep.

addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Details are there if you click the FAQ link in the blue bar
    Thanks didn't see it when I checked this morning. I also don't see the disable box in the CP options. The whole thing seems a little too "myspacey" for me.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Well at least on other forums REP POWER has "to do with posts, etc" ; it's up to the admin. And a person with more rep power giving rep to someone would cause the receiving person to gain more rep. So, yes, it could.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    It is given by other users for the forum, if you answer someones question or help them out, they should click that scale and send you some rep. If you help out a lot, your rep will go up( if that person leaves rep ). It has nothing to do with posts, etc. It's only given by other users. I remember it from another vbulletin forum.

Don't ask for rep either.

mtbr member
    Please support me in my goal of gaining the lowest rep possible, thank you.

mtbr member
    Well at least on other forums REP POWER has "to do with posts, etc" ; it's up to the admin. And a person with more rep power giving rep to someone would cause the receiving person to gain more rep. So, yes, it could.
    OK, I'll ask. If you hold the mouse over the little green box under your name it says you are an "unknown quantity at this time". How can that be with 5K+ posts?
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    OK, I'll ask. If you hold the mouse over the little green box under your name it says you are an "unknown quantity at this time". How can that be with 5K+ posts?
    But the rep power is 13--that was set by admins based on whatever factors they are using. I think they are starting everyone off as unknown which has to do with the number of negative or positive "dots" or rep someone has been given by his/her fellow posters. After a user gets repped enough times this "unknown quantity" will change to something else. No telling what the admins have thought of--if they've even thought it all the way out yet. I just know on sevenforums---once you get a certain number of positive rep/posts etc your 'rank" changes. One might start off as unknown, then become skilled, then power user, then master or whatever.

edit---it might help to know that if someone gives you rep that has only power of 1, and someone else gives you rep that has of power 50 say, you might get an additional green dot with the rep 50 grantor than with the guy with only power of 1. There again the admins have to decide all these parameters and so far I havent noticed they've done so.

addicted
    so I just gave you a rep, army, and it changed to distinguished road. interesting...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by willrace4food View Post
    so I just gave you a rep, army, and it changed to distinguished road. interesting...
    yeah and i gave one to d one that dont want one and his changed too. Once the admins work it out to be useful it's a fun tool---at least on sevenforums--but then again they put up with no nonsense.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I just noticed this, also. Several times I wished there was a way to 'thank' someone for their helpful response (other than creating another post).

I'm going to spend some time tonight going back and "Adding to the Reputation" of a few people...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Please support me in my goal of gaining the lowest rep possible, thank you.
    Done!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    You postcountwhores who put 5 or 6 separate posts in a thread about the same thing (not saying any names).... rejoice!
    So how do you have 679 posts and 0 rep?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast