Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 97
  1. #1
    addicted
    Reputation: willrace4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    132

    What is this thing called "Rep Power"

    So there was some sort of upgrade last night, and it seems everyone got extra icons. Does anyone know what the deal is?
    Last edited by willrace4food; 05-26-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: grammatical error

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by willrace4food View Post
    So there was some sort of upgrade last night, and it seems everyone got extra icons. Does anyone know what the deal is?
    Click on the balance scale icon and see.

    Details are there if you click the FAQ link in the blue bar
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    Derptastic
    Reputation: Nadric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    240
    Its a common feature on a lot of forums. If someone posts a quality post, give em some rep!

  4. #4
    Stucco Bucket
    Reputation: the_owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,766
    Its a module that comes with vbulletin.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,682
    Checking mine..

    edit: hella rep
    :wq

  6. #6
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    853
    If it's a new feature then how exactly has prior "Rep Power" been established? Not covered in FAQs.

  7. #7
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    Likely a combination of number of posts, join date, and the ability to maintain positive reputation. At least thats the way it works on sevenforums. Seven has badges too.


    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    If it's a new feature then how exactly has prior "Rep Power" been established? Not covered in FAQs.

  8. #8
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Likely a combination of number of posts, join date, and the ability to maintain positive reputation. At least thats the way it works on sevenforums. Seven has badges too.
    Thanks. Yeah, the first 2 make sense, but I don't see how the 3rd applies if the feature never existed before.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,682
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, the first 2 make sense, but I don't see how the 3rd applies if the feature never existed before.
    From the FAQ:

    The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
    Joker is probably dead on and the values were set as a starting point. If the feature didn't exist before then obviously it's not currently based on reputation given to you prior to the upgrade.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/faq.php?s=&do...l&titlesonly=0
    :wq

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GotoDengo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    893
    You postcountwhores who put 5 or 6 separate posts in a thread about the same thing (not saying any names).... rejoice!

  11. #11
    Mountain Man Dan
    Reputation: ProjectDan35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,181
    It is given by other users for the forum, if you answer someones question or help them out, they should click that scale and send you some rep. If you help out a lot, your rep will go up( if that person leaves rep ). It has nothing to do with posts, etc. It's only given by other users. I remember it from another vbulletin forum.

    Don't ask for rep either.

  12. #12
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,891
    This is going to be fun!
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  13. #13
    Green Wrencher
    Reputation: RDTigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Likely a combination of number of posts, join date, and the ability to maintain positive reputation. At least thats the way it works on sevenforums. Seven has badges too.


    "Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges....."

  14. #14
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,488
    haha yes we even have negative reps
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  15. #15
    ronbo613
    Guest
    "Rep Power" was real popular on computer and tech forums when it first came out. Soon it became a way to "get back" at people you didn't like. "Good" rep for your internet buddies, "Bad" rep for people you don't like, no matter the content of their posts.
    Since even the most inert subject on MBR usually turns into a pissing match, the "rep" feature should be a real bonus. Forum users with thousands of posts will lose sleep over their "rep", many will think twice before posting anything or just not bother to participate, some won't even notice they have a rep.

  16. #16
    addicted
    Reputation: willrace4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Details are there if you click the FAQ link in the blue bar
    Thanks didn't see it when I checked this morning. I also don't see the disable box in the CP options. The whole thing seems a little too "myspacey" for me.

  17. #17
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    Well at least on other forums REP POWER has "to do with posts, etc" ; it's up to the admin. And a person with more rep power giving rep to someone would cause the receiving person to gain more rep. So, yes, it could.


    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    It is given by other users for the forum, if you answer someones question or help them out, they should click that scale and send you some rep. If you help out a lot, your rep will go up( if that person leaves rep ). It has nothing to do with posts, etc. It's only given by other users. I remember it from another vbulletin forum.

    Don't ask for rep either.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,497
    Please support me in my goal of gaining the lowest rep possible, thank you.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Well at least on other forums REP POWER has "to do with posts, etc" ; it's up to the admin. And a person with more rep power giving rep to someone would cause the receiving person to gain more rep. So, yes, it could.
    OK, I'll ask. If you hold the mouse over the little green box under your name it says you are an "unknown quantity at this time". How can that be with 5K+ posts?
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  20. #20
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    OK, I'll ask. If you hold the mouse over the little green box under your name it says you are an "unknown quantity at this time". How can that be with 5K+ posts?
    But the rep power is 13--that was set by admins based on whatever factors they are using. I think they are starting everyone off as unknown which has to do with the number of negative or positive "dots" or rep someone has been given by his/her fellow posters. After a user gets repped enough times this "unknown quantity" will change to something else. No telling what the admins have thought of--if they've even thought it all the way out yet. I just know on sevenforums---once you get a certain number of positive rep/posts etc your 'rank" changes. One might start off as unknown, then become skilled, then power user, then master or whatever.

    edit---it might help to know that if someone gives you rep that has only power of 1, and someone else gives you rep that has of power 50 say, you might get an additional green dot with the rep 50 grantor than with the guy with only power of 1. There again the admins have to decide all these parameters and so far I havent noticed they've done so.

  21. #21
    addicted
    Reputation: willrace4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    132
    so I just gave you a rep, army, and it changed to distinguished road. interesting...

  22. #22
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by willrace4food View Post
    so I just gave you a rep, army, and it changed to distinguished road. interesting...
    yeah and i gave one to d one that dont want one and his changed too. Once the admins work it out to be useful it's a fun tool---at least on sevenforums--but then again they put up with no nonsense.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Sweet! I just noticed this, also. Several times I wished there was a way to 'thank' someone for their helpful response (other than creating another post).

    I'm going to spend some time tonight going back and "Adding to the Reputation" of a few people...

  24. #24
    That makes me smart
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Please support me in my goal of gaining the lowest rep possible, thank you.
    Done!

  25. #25
    Is it Friday yet?
    Reputation: kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    You postcountwhores who put 5 or 6 separate posts in a thread about the same thing (not saying any names).... rejoice!
    So how do you have 679 posts and 0 rep?

  26. #26
    Is it Friday yet?
    Reputation: kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Please support me in my goal of gaining the lowest rep possible, thank you.
    Done

  27. #27
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,805
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    yeah and i gave one to d one that dont want one and his changed too. Once the admins work it out to be useful it's a fun tool---at least on sevenforums--but then again they put up with no nonsense.
    Every person I check says "On a distinguished road", rep points don't seem to matter

  28. #28
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric View Post
    Its a common feature on a lot of forums. If someone posts a quality post, give em some rep!
    Is that like Mana?

  29. #29
    Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Reputation: Cobretti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    970
    I'd like to get my good rep count off to a start with the following statement - Mountain biking is good.

  30. #30
    Jonesin'
    Reputation: ForrestJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Every person I check says "On a distinguished road", rep points don't seem to matter
    Yeah, and who wants to be on a road anyway, "distinguished" or not?
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.

  31. #31
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,519
    Kinda cheesy. How do we 'opt out'?

  32. #32
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by willrace4food View Post
    .... The whole thing seems a little too "myspacey" for me.
    I felt like I was back in high school...... yeah, I guess we're both on the same page.

  33. #33
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    the Pinkbikification has begun...
    Axle Standards Explained

    Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

  34. #34
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    I am thinking this will be another ignored feature here just like the BLOGs section was. Resistance to change and all that.

    It works very well at sevenforums and adds to the socialization of the site. It does not come off as cheey, friendsterly or highschooly IMO. On the other hand at overclockersnet it is meh.

    Of course the admins I don't think have thought it out yet.

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation: Mojo Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,095
    Mehhhh.......If you frequent here somewhat often its not hard to sort out the jacka$$es from someone who is trying to be helpful. Never hurts to have a good laugh on ocassion as well.

  36. #36
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Yeeha. I've seen this rep thing on other sites and rep is usually more of an indicator of a poster's willingness to get into witty or inflamatory arguments than an indicator of useful information.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    I'd like to get my good rep count off to a start with the following statement - Mountain biking is good.
    That works - I approve of that statement!

  38. #38
    Is it Friday yet?
    Reputation: kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    I'd like to get my good rep count off to a start with the following statement - Mountain biking is good.
    Done

  39. #39
    I4NI
    Reputation: S_Trek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,222
    Huum, just in time I was wondering the same thing.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GotoDengo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    So how do you have 679 posts and 0 rep?
    Good question. I had 1 rep when I posted that, which seems like everyone somewhat recent does by default. I haven't posted in any threads since this one and it's gone down. I guess... someone didn't like something I said in a past thread and voted me down? I suppose I'm a frequent poster but try to have something to ask or say, even if it's an attempt at humor... I don't make 6 or 7 posts to the same question in the same thread. It's a fairly active community here and there are lots of threads to weigh in on, and I've asked a lot and learned a lot.

    In some ways I don't care -- it's still an entertaining place to hang out online -- but in other ways I'm curious what someone voted me down, and it's just something to obsess on. I'm a regular on several forums but none have "rep", so I guess I'll see how it evolves over time.

    Edit - just noticed in the control panel that you can see rep changes. Someone voted me down in this thread, and the comment was "silly commet" (spelling error his, not mine). So my "reputation" went down based on a silly commet? This should work out well. Actually I guess over time it will even out.
    Last edited by GotoDengo; 05-27-2011 at 10:51 AM.

  41. #41
    Is it Friday yet?
    Reputation: kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    589
    Yeah, very odd. Mojotroll above has less posts than you but a 7 rep...so why did you start with 1 and them with 7?

    Correction.: I see Mojotroll has been around since 2004, so longevity must weigh heavily.

  42. #42
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,805
    The way its explained in the FAQ section, If someone clicks to "give you rep", you only get positive rep if the person that is giving it to you has a higher "rep power". If they have low "rep power", then it only gives you neutral reputation.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    bah! I'm only 16, I don't have a rep yet!

    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    68

    Smile

    Great...one more thing to not care about.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rubystreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    288
    Well then I'm gonna buy a singlespeed, that should make my Rep go up.

  46. #46
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    Good question. I had 1 rep when I posted that, which seems like everyone somewhat recent does by default. I haven't posted in any threads since this one and it's gone down. I guess... someone didn't like something I said in a past thread and voted me down? I suppose I'm a frequent poster but try to have something to ask or say, even if it's an attempt at humor... I don't make 6 or 7 posts to the same question in the same thread. It's a fairly active community here and there are lots of threads to weigh in on, and I've asked a lot and learned a lot.

    In some ways I don't care -- it's still an entertaining place to hang out online -- but in other ways I'm curious what someone voted me down, and it's just something to obsess on. I'm a regular on several forums but none have "rep", so I guess I'll see how it evolves over time.

    Edit - just noticed in the control panel that you can see rep changes. Someone voted me down in this thread, and the comment was "silly commet" (spelling error his, not mine). So my "reputation" went down based on a silly commet? This should work out well. Actually I guess over time it will even out.
    I dont know what you did goto but somehow you are ranked the very last in the Rep power ranking list. http://forums.mtbr.com/memberlist.ph...utation&pp=100 then go to the last page

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fiskare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    710
    I'm confused. My Rep Power is 3, and I am hardly ever a weenie, and some others have higher rep powers and they are weenies on a regular basis. I gotta up my weenie power so I can up my rep power. It's like being in grade school all over again.

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Reps accumulate when people "add to your reputation" by clicking on the scale icon beside your post. They can increase or decrease your reputation based on how they feel. There will always be some that misuse a tool (voting you down because of a "silly comment"). Hopefully the good will outweigh the bad.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GotoDengo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    I dont know what you did goto but somehow you are ranked the very last in the Rep power ranking list. http://forums.mtbr.com/memberlist.ph...utation&pp=100 then go to the last page
    Sweet!!

    Curious what the ratio for +1 reps to cancel out minus reps, though. I only have one red, but several green now --- including at least one for pity "the poor guy needs it" . But still on the bottom. Maybe I pissed off a mod with +10 rep damage modifier.

    Avatar changed to GIS result for "silly commet".

  50. #50
    Is it Friday yet?
    Reputation: kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    I dont know what you did goto but somehow you are ranked the very last in the Rep power ranking list. http://forums.mtbr.com/memberlist.ph...utation&pp=100 then go to the last page
    I can't even open the link. My rep must suck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •