mtbr member
    Apr 2009

What size shirt to wear over chest protector?

Im wondering how many shirt sizes do u normally go up on wearing it over a chest protector?
    i'm a size medium and currently wearing "ROCKGARDN TrailStar Chest Protector". Ive been wearing it over my shirts but thinking of wearing it under now
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think usually just one size larger usually works, at least for me that seems to be the case. How do you like your trailstar? I was thinking about getting one for my wife but a bit concerned about the one size fits all..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well im a dude at 150lbs, 5'6" and it fits very well... seems like it can be adjustable to a size XL but might have some problems fitting if you're a SMALL. Overall its got good padding and not leaving too much exposed gaps. It has saved me from a few pretty bad crashes. Great product overall and wouldnt ride XC without it =]
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

TNC
    noMAD man
    Just curious...why do you want it under your jersey? In past years, I've tried this and actually found it hotter, and that was just riding a dirt motor. For a bicycle, I'd find it even more extreme. You also realize that one fall will usually rip a big hole in the jersey if you hit on one of the hard panels of the armor...usually at the elbow or shoulder. For DH guys who only have a few minute run and are trying to give exposure to a sponsor and such, I can understand the compromise. Otherwise I think it's more logical to wear the armor over the jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Like the DH guys, it looks so much more natural to wear it under. But since u said its HOTTER im gonna rethink about it.
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

TNC
    noMAD man
    I might add that the "cooler" aspect can also hinge somewhat on the fabric type in the jersey and the design of the body armor, so we're talking more generally here. Since the protection aspect of wearing the jersey and armor either way doesn't affect the protection level that I can see, you should end up wearing the gear the way you like it. Just try it both ways and see if the heat factor is different for you.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I am a 38" chest 6'0" dude, I wear a large Dainese Race chest/back armour that fits pretty well (I could have gone medium, whatever). normally, i wear med -> lg everything (w/o armour), but i wear an XL jersey over my armour.