Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What size Camelbak should I get?

I ride off road trails for no more than 2 hours, and city streets for no more than a 1/2 hour.
    Last edited by jh251; 07-13-2008 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    50 oz. should be enough for what you discribe.
    Start your ride fully hydrated and 50 oz. should be enough.
    I have a 100 oz'er but hate the waist strap and the added weight.
    I carry only tubes and soft stuff in the C'bak.
    Tools and hard stuff in seatbag.
    Carrying tools in the C'bak is like carrying a personal rock/pointy thing to fall on.
    This can puncture the c'bak blatter...or yours.
    Tilos

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilos
    50 oz. should be enough for what you discribe.
    Start your ride fully hydrated and 50 oz. should be enough.
    I carry only tubes and soft stuff in the C'bak.
    Tools and hard stuff in seatbag.
    Carrying tools in the C'bak is like carrying a personal rock/pointy thing to fall on.
    Tilos
    Good points.

2 hours isn't that long. but buying an 100oz pack doesn't mean you need to fill all 100oz every time you go out.

i say go bigger. i'm always stepping up my ride times and i upgraded from 70 to 100 rather quickly because there just wasn't enough water or space to carry sufficient tools/clothing/food.

after only one really long walk i've tried to play it safe in terms of preparation.
    allens/chainbreak tool, extra chain links, couple cliff bars, banana, maybe sandwiches, a spare tube, patchkit, some tape, a light long sleeve or rain shell, sometimes another pair of socks. it adds up really quick.

? bladder/back padding protects you well. and you can always carry your allen set (only real pointy/hard thing) in the way back pocket.

on my 'h.a.w.g' the waiststrap is completely removable. the (minimal) extra weight just makes you stronger.

Forget work- let's ride!

Camelback Hawg

I love my Camelback!

This is 100 oz ..... of course, you don't have to fill it all the way. It also gives me plenty of room to carry a spare jacket, food, tools, etc. You might also like the large reservoir capacity for those really hot days when you drink/sweat gallons. The straps are all quite comfortable and I've been amazed how well designed they are. I even use mine for hiking and it works great.

I also had a mule which was smaller and still carried 100 oz. It could be a better option if you want something smaller. It too, was excellent.

My suggestion is to head to the LBS and try a few on for size. I'm sure you'll find one you like.

Good luck!
    I'm trying to think but nothing happens!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've got a 70oz now and plan on getting a 100oz shortly, because i run out of water quite a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    I've got a 70oz now and plan on getting a 100oz shortly, because i run out of water quite a lot.
    How many hours of riding do you do?

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    2 hours isn't that long. but buying an 100oz pack doesn't mean you need to fill all 100oz every time you go out.

after only one really long walk i've tried to play it safe in terms of preparation.
    allens/chainbreak tool, extra chain links, couple cliff bars, banana, maybe sandwiches, a spare tube, patchkit, some tape, a light long sleeve or rain shell, sometimes another pair of socks. it adds up really quick.

on my 'h.a.w.g' the waiststrap is completely removable. the (minimal) extra weight just makes you stronger.
    X2.............100 ounce (3L)...my Mule is great and i love having two straps keeps the pack right where I want it. Don't even feel it anymore when I ride....forget its' there until I need the map or a snack/tool, etc,
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

OnTheTrailAgain
    [SIZE="7"]M.U.L.E. [/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"]Better to have more than you need and "not" need it,
    then to need it and "not" have it.
    [/SIZE]

Last edited by 2ndgen; 07-14-2008 at 01:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yesterday I rode 7 hours and drank three full camelbacks and a gatorade. I also had several glasses of lemonade when I stopped for luch. I was still slightly dehydrated when I got to work. It was 100 degrees though.

monster member
    I still use my Mule that I bought back in '95 or '96. (It was also a 100oz bladder back then.) I love it. Been using it that long and never had a problem with tools puncturing a bladder. It's insulation keeps your water cold, and you have room to stuff a sweatshirt in the bungies during colder morning rides that warm up later.

I rarely fill it all the way, but recently I needed all 70oz or so that I put in during a hot 2-hour ride while being a bit hungover. Just an example of a time when it's nice to have that volume available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sure an 100oz'er is great for unsupported Epic rides, that's why I have one.

That 100 oz'er stays home as the 50 oz'er gets the most use for weekly/daily "short" rides.
    I guess if you only have one, the 100 or 70's the way to go.

If you ride/use it, it's gonna wear out and need replacing, so why not have different gear for different types of rides.
    A little more investment up front with way better service throughout product life( buy2).

Yeh, an 100 can carry everything you need for a 7-8 hour ride but the extra STUFF tends to stay in there...forever.

Nothing is scarier than digging deep into your pack for a tube only to find out the multi-tool has rubbed a hole in it 'cause it's been in there forever.

Something about seeing someone riding in a location with 20 or less miles of trails with a fully loaded 100 oz'er says ah, homeless(?) to me.
    Hey, I guess it could be full of sandbags for race training...endurance training.

Tilos

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've got a HAWG. I've replaced it once because the styling of the pack changed and I wanted it. My first ('98 model) is my backup/unprepared/newbie to riding friend ride pack and still in great shape. I keep my "essentials" in there all the time and I don't like seat packs. After a few minutes I don't even notice my pack on my back, that's why the straps are adjustable and waist is removable, for comfort. It should fit like it is a part of you or else you need to readjust it.

If wearing out is a concern, remember Camelbak has military/le contracts so they make durable stuff and stand behind it. If you learn how to pack you won't ever have a problem with things poking through. I've flipped and landed on my back and the pack actually helped avoid injury to the ground with the bladder acting as a cushion, and it has never leaked (I average 210#).

Tilos makes some good cautionary notes, but what to do if you can't afford several packs? Instead of the size of the pack, be concerned with your need for hydration. Everyone is different on this, but remember you can put 50 or 70 oz of fluid into a 100oz bladder, but you can't put 100oz in a 50. I find it scary that someone else will tell you or me how much water you will require, encouraging you to have less than what your body may need. I wouldn't know if I was fully hydrated when starting if I am at rest and if I take in too much it will make it harder to get moving and my body to absorb. If someone can get by with less, great for them, but they probably know their body very well. Being thirsty is different than being dehydrated. Dehydration can be nasty and you don't want that to happen, especially if you can avoid it.

Like others have said, better to have and not need than need and not have. If you don't want to carry gear, just get the smallest pack you can with the biggest bladder. At least then you will know you have it if you drink more for some reason (body's need, hotter temperatures, accident, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos
    Sure an 100oz'er is great for unsupported Epic rides, that's why I have one.

That 100 oz'er stays home as the 50 oz'er gets the most use for weekly/daily "short" rides.
    I guess if you only have one, the 100 or 70's the way to go.

If you ride/use it, it's gonna wear out and need replacing, so why not have different gear for different types of rides.
    A little more investment up front with way better service throughout product life( buy2).

Yeh, an 100 can carry everything you need for a 7-8 hour ride but the extra STUFF tends to stay in there...forever.

Nothing is scarier than digging deep into your pack for a tube only to find out the multi-tool has rubbed a hole in it 'cause it's been in there forever.
    why so anti-decent sized pack?
    i don't understand.

nothing's scarier than digging into your camelback to find an old something? ...i'll tell you what's worse. being 10 miles from home/car in the rain with little water, no shell, a busted presta valve and no spare tube because you couldn't fit it in your 50oz camelback. might have started out as a little jaunt on a relatively short trail, but that can change in a hurry.

now i'm not being mr. safety freak that avoids biking because stuff can go wrong. a ride can turn into an epic regardless of your preparedness. but if a pound or two added to your back can spare a long walk or dehydration or hypothermia...why wouldn't you take it?

Something about seeing someone riding in a location with 20 or less miles of trails with a fully loaded 100 oz'er says ah, homeless(?) to me.
    so people who connect trails look homeless you to?

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed
    I still use my Mule that I bought back in '95 or '96. (It was also a 100oz bladder back then.) I love it. Been using it that long and never had a problem with tools puncturing a bladder. It's insulation keeps your water cold, and you have room to stuff a sweatshirt in the bungies during colder morning rides that warm up later.

I rarely fill it all the way, but recently I needed all 70oz or so that I put in during a hot 2-hour ride while being a bit hungover. Just an example of a time when it's nice to have that volume available.
    Generally, tools should be kept in a case anyway I'd think.

I put tools loose in my MULE yesterday and it just didn't seem right to me.

So I'm going to put them in a 99 Cents Store case that'll fit and that'll keep them all in one place.

mtbr member
    One more vote for the camelback mule. I'd rather dump water out after a ride than run out.
    plus it has plenty of room for storage.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

monster member
    The bladder goes inside an insulated sleeve separate from the tools-pouch. I just don't see any way the bladder is going to get punctured. I also have landed on my back on some rocks a few times. Never punctured a bladder. It's also pretty hard for anything besides a knife or nail to puncture a deflated tube... and you can put the tubes in a separate pouch anyway. (I carry two tubes all the time.)

I just had to replace the bladder a few seasons ago. So, the first one lasted 9-10 years. I only replaced it because some mold started to develop in the straw and I figured I'd just replace the bladder+straw instead of trying to wash out the straw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my opinion.........

Go 70. I have an old 70 oz Rocket (I don't recommend it, fits weird, bladder ends up like a sphere when full) and a Mule. The mule is great for rides over 2 hours, or on rides in unfamiliar territory. It's just so big. Yes you can only fill it half way for short rides, but it's just overkill. I've been tempted by a CB Rouge, but haven't found one in a shop to fondle......

If you go on a long ride, put a bottle on the frame, old school style....

Waist straps.......If you know how to bunnyhop, you will want the waist strap. Otherwise the pack will hit you in the back of the helmet everytime you hop something......
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

OnTheTrailAgain
    Even a mere 1 hour ride would benefit from carrying a spare tube, tools, small 1st aid kit, cell phone, house keys, snack, oh...and water.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Yeah..."real" old school!

Birthday Collector
    2ndgen says it - MULE - the pack is big enough to grow into, and you only have to put in 50 Oz of water for shorter rides - if it's hot or you want to go longer - put in more water! I use it for everything, from 1-hour quick loops to 5 - 7 hour epics. On the real long rides, if the refills are far-between (or non-existent) I'll carry 2 bottles on my frame and a small bottle in the back mesh part of the pack. If you only have one pack, get something mid-sized or larger so you have options!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

OnTheTrailAgain
    Yeah, I like it's capacity to carry both water "and" a bottle or two inside
    (I can't drink "just" water...I need a little flavor when I make my first stop).

I don't carry anything on my frame because I like to jump a lot.

if i haven't convinced you enough already...
    My Ride From Hell !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll be looking at the 50oz and 70oz next time I go to the bike store. Like I said, I won't be riding more than 2 hours. If I bought the 70oz, it carries more water, but also more room for other things?? tube, snacks, tools etc.....

mtbr member
    doesn't hurt to shove in an extra water bottle in the camelback for safe measure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast