Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

What MP3 Player to Buy?

Anyone ride/train/race with an MP3 player? If so....
    What brand?
    Did you buy it online?
    What is the durability from sweat and the elements of nature?
    I am in the market, and just want to know if anyone found a good one out there.
    Thanks!

Salad Days

Md

I have been using a sony net-md player and am very happy with it. A nice thing about MD as opposed to an Ipod or something is the huge (30hr or so) battery life. The new ones hav e 1gb disks too, which hold a ton of music. Seems to be very durable, I have been treating it poorly for 3 years now, taking it on lots of rides, and have had no problems. Music is easily transfered using the Real ONe player, or sony's crappy proprietary software. It has gotten soaked inside my pack, dropped a few times, and the remote has been rained on and snowed on and still works.

Check out www.minidisco.com
    or this one looks good. I want to upgrade.
    http://www.minidisco.com/mz-nh600d.html
    Last edited by jparker164; 11-03-2004 at 09:45 AM.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    What brand?
    Did you buy it online?
    Thanks!
    I've gone through several over the last couple years. I would have never believed it, but I'm a 100% IPod man now. There just isn't anything nearly as good IMO. The integration with ITunes (which I also like a lot), battery life, interface, storage just is a winning package.

Check out the new HP Ipods, same thing but considerably cheaper.

mtbr member
    May 2004

go with rio

really, look at the flash-based players, as those are geared towards abuse, given that they have NO MOVING PARTS (whereas my RIO karma 20g hard-disk based player does have moving parts, i have abused it, and it still runs great)

IPOD battery life sucks.
    IPOD does not allow for FLAC or OGG VORBIS file types (less lossy than MP3)

Panasonic makes an Extreme player as well.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    IPOD battery life sucks.
    Must disagree there. My IPod is several years old, on the original battery and still plays for about 8 hours before needing a recharge.

I agree the moving parts are a little more prone to break from abuse, so a flash solution for mountain biking may be a good idea. I use mine mainly for commuting on my MTB, not for off-road use (although I have used it some off-road).

What brand?
    Did you buy it online?
    Thanks!
    None....what's so wrong with hearing the world around you ???

mtbr member
    I live by my iPod....even though I hate supporting Apple. I am, however, a little skeptical about bringing it biking...but I'm sure there are nice hard protection cases out there. Anyone have any suggestions...that are made for an iPod?

How about those new Sony MP3 players...anyone get a chance to check them out?

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Here is why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    None....what's so wrong with hearing the world around you ???

If you lived in Iowa, and did 4-9 hour training rides, you would understand. Me, I am into the heavy metal music....Metallica, God Smack, Static-X, etc.. Around here, everybody is very conservative so that means all the radio stations play Oldies and Top 40's........sigh

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What online shopping sources would you recommend for MP3 players? Thanks.

inner peace to make peace

ipod mini

ipod mini
    1000 songs

mtbr member
    If you're going for physical size, then the iPod mini is the way to go.....even though that when they were first released a large majority of them had something wrong with the audio jack or audio distortion (or something along those lines)

But if you're going for drive size and a better bargain, go for a regular iPod.

20GB = $299
    4GB iPod mini = $249

I've got a 20GB, couldn't be happier with it...I run with it and it hasn't skipped once...even when falling off the treadmill. I've got mine packed with over 3700 songs.

mtbr member
    What brand?
    Did you buy it online?
    Thanks!
    If you're going to train with a MP3 player, I'd recommand something small. I personally own the Rio Nitrus, and it has been treating me very well so far. I take the unit runing and to the gym all the time. No problems so far. However, if I was going to do it again, I'd go with the Ipod Mini. Make sure you get the hot pink version (just kidding)

Nonetheless, I'd opt of the extended warranty because it is still a hard drive based player, which means it is more prone to failure from shock compared to flash card based players. However, there is nothing that compares to the Apple product quality and feature wise. Ipods have the best ergonomics, and arguably the best sound quality....

Dont', I mean DO NOT buy a Rio Karma. They seem to have major problems with hard drive failures, and the unit freeze. When the unit is in the frozen mode, you cannot even turn the unit off unless you have reseted it with a small pin.

Also, don't buy soemthing like this online. I'd go to BestBuy and get their warranty. Anything goes wrong, they'll exchange your unit on the spot...

Ming

The Uber Carnivore

I'm getting an iPod.

My wife loves her's (she rides LOTS.) I'm getting a 4G 20 Gig iPod soon. iTunes is a terrific application--easy to use, versatile, stable, and FREE.

A flash-RAM player isn't a good way to go until they start having at least 1 Gig of memory. The small memory sizes limits you to a short playlist unless you totally compress it so it sounds crappy.

I would never by a Rio product. Although they may have some good stuff out there now, they also make a lot of junk. I was looking into a Rio flash-RAM player, but it had terrible battery problems.
    Last edited by Trail Punk; 11-03-2004 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I recently picked up the Creative MuVO TX FM 256mb player. It is a flashbased drive, holds about 8 hrs of music. It also has an FM receiver, if you get tired of what you downloaded. Downloading is easy, as the unit acts like a 256mb USB drive; just drag and drop. It comes with an armband, which is convenient.

I bleieve BUY.com has it for $90 or so. Whatever unit you decide on, check via Nextag.com for best price.

good luck, and enjoy!

Mark

Trail rider and racer
    Apple ipod is a great option IMHO.

There are so many cheap rip offs of the product because the Apple iPod together with iTunes represents real perfection for MP3 players. Nothing else beats Apple IMHO when it comes down to MP3 players.
    Trev!

Salad Days

IPod Armor

Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    I live by my iPod....even though I hate supporting Apple. I am, however, a little skeptical about bringing it biking...but I'm sure there are nice hard protection cases out there. Anyone have any suggestions...that are made for an iPod?
    My bro has a nice aluminum case for his, pretty slick looking too.

http://matias.ca/ipodarmor/index.php?refID=1

eci
    i pod luv em

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    My bro has a nice aluminum case for his, pretty slick looking too.

http://matias.ca/ipodarmor/index.php?refID=1

Very cool - thanks for the link!

WWYD?

Get a Rio...

What brand?
    Did you buy it online?
    Thanks!
    I have the Rio Cali with 128MB with a 128 SD card and it gives me four hours of high-quality tunes, plus it has an FM tuner. The tuner is good but not as good in reception as the Sony Sport. I download songs from Itunes (Mac G4) and it does its job quickly, faster than a Yepp (which I've also owned). Battery life is about 12-15 hours on a good single alkaline and around 8-10 on a rechargeable. Its very durable and sweatproof, though I wouldn't leave it in my back jersey pocket in the rain. I bought it at BestBuy with an extendended warranty for around $115 bucks US and the SD card for around $35. I've seen the new version called the Rio Forge and it looks like the case is metal which would be a good upgrade plus you can record FM on it too.

But the best thing you can do is to get some good headphones, I've gone with the new Sony Mini-bud style with tiny silicone ear cups. They sound excellent for $40 and don't block out external sound. You can hear your chain, derailler and brakes even someone creeping up behind on the singletrack if you don't have the music cranked too loud.

Since Nineteen Forgotten

RCA Lyra 1072 MP3

Nothing beats the Ipod, but for a cheaper, compact alternative, there's RCA Lyra 1072 it's a flash memory player and storage can be expanded with an external SD/MMC.

Battery life could be better, but I had like 15-16 hrs tops with mine at the 8th volume setting which isn't too bad. Had it for 2 years, used for jogging. It's been dropped, sweated on, and banged up on walls but hasn't failed yet. Cost $115.00.

More info here:

http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/Culture...rs&Item=RD1072,
    "No, it's not Ron Jeremy in tight Lycra Shorts"....

Braunstein Frere
    Nov 2004
    My brother just bought a Sony MD online and he's pretty fired up about it. Holds tons of songs and doesn't take too long to download them. I stole it to use at the gym and it doesn't have any clips or anything so you have to put it in your pocket. Not too much of a problem though cuz it's the size of a small waffle.

"Mr. Britannica"
    I like my Rio. In general all Rio flash players are small, easy to use, and come with decent software. I got a Fuse (128mb) earlier in the year, and just re-upped for a 256mb Chiba, very similar to the Cali except the Cali comes w/better headphones. Both are relatively cheap, can be had on Ebay for <$100 for the Chiba, a bit more for the Cali (watch out for refurbished ones). I believe the Forge- a new model- will be replacing the Cali. For more info/reviews and to compare, check out cnet.com

mtbr member
    Dell recently released their mini mp3 player for $199.

mtbr member
    I bought a flashed based player due to the fact that they have no moving parts and are supposed to be more durable. I bought a Rio Forge with 512mb internal memory and an additional 512mb memory card. One feature I like is a lock switch that when engaged locks out all the controls from accidental pressing. I don't have any personal expierence with an Ipod but think I would not buy one due to the fact that even the mini is larger than what I want to carry with me. I like the size and shape of the Rio because it fits nicely in my pocket with the head phone leads slid down my shirt while I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will
    I bought a flashed based player due to the fact that they have no moving parts and are supposed to be more durable. I bought a Rio Forge with 512mb internal memory and an additional 512mb memory card. One feature I like is a lock switch that when engaged locks out all the controls from accidental pressing. I don't have any personal expierence with an Ipod but think I would not buy one due to the fact that even the mini is larger than what I want to carry with me. I like the size and shape of the Rio because it fits nicely in my pocket with the head phone leads slid down my shirt while I ride.
    The mini is actually only barely bigger than my Rio Nitrus, it has much more storage as well (4GB vs 1.5GB)..

My vote still goes to Ipod mini...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast