mtbr member
    Apr 2010

What is a local store I can buy helicopter tape from to protect my frame?

What brick and mortar store can I find this stuff at?

Today it is raining and tomorrow I want to ride. So I want to tape up today and ride tomorrow and not wait.

How do I know what tape is "helicopter tape" or the best to use for bicycle frame and component protection?
    Last edited by RoyFokker; 05-16-2014 at 03:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Contact an auto detail/window tint shop. If they apply the clear bra for cars they can sell you a piece that would work on a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ^ that, or autobody repair shops. Most will be happy to sell you a few feet for pretty cheap. It's where I bought my first bit of the stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That brings me to another question I should edit in:
    How do I know what tape is "helicopter tape" or the best to use for bicycle frame and component protection?

I found this older thread that has a mini-guide for applying 3M tape with a photo of the finished process and you cannot notice the tape, besides the seam:
    Winter Projects and 3M Tape

@ScottW / Tuffguy:
    I have one friend who works doing auto body paint. And another who has done detailing and body prep work. I will ask them and see what their advice is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just wasted a ridiculous amount of time today going to various auto parts stores, at least 4. Nothing. Went to Home Depot(home improvement chainstore) also and the best I could find there was Gorilla tape.

I was thinking of just using black Gorilla tape, even though it is suboptimal. But I feel it may be a bad idea on a carbon frame to have black tape everywhere so that I won't see any possible stress marks or cracks if they happen to develop.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't se gorilla tape. The glue on the tape will leave quite a mess if/when you want to remove it. If you can't find helicopter tape try using some vinyl or electrical tape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    McMaster Carr and Grainger are 2 stores you can usually find locally. Try those. Check them online first to see if they carry what you want. A lot of their stuff is commercial grade stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Certainly not a "brick and mortar" store, but I ordered this from Amazon, and had it in 2 days. Easy to apply, and perfect for my application of securing the wires for my dynamo lighting system.

Amazon.com: ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape: 1 in. x 30 ft. (Transparent): Automotive

mtbr member
    Bump... Anyone know where I can get the real 3m helicopter tape that comes in a sheet? I recently bought 3m helicopter tape in a roll from the UK and it did not stick anywhere near as well as the sheets that you cut to size. An online store would be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Bump... Anyone know where I can get the real 3m helicopter tape that comes in a sheet? I recently bought 3m helicopter tape in a roll from the UK and it did not stick anywhere near as well as the sheets that you cut to size. An online store would be fine.
    I'm not sure if you want the 3M brand specifically, nor what size sheets(s) you are looking for but this could be a consideration.

DIY Skin | Best Skin Ever