Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    yeah, uh............bikes

What kind of omen does an Owl represent?

The last couple rides at the local trails have been kinda weird. I see deer, turkeys, rabbits, snakes, etc. , but lately I've seen this owl on the past 4 rides. Every time I see it I see the thing at least 3 times during the ride. He just flys across or down the trail for a bit then chills on a branch and just stares at me. The second ride that I saw him I saw him 5 different times spanning about 10 miles of trail.

It's kinda creeping me out that this owl is following me, and I was thinking about what kind of omen this could represent. I'm just hoping this isn't a sign that I'm gonna die soon or somethin.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Owl

I was going to say "yes, it means you are going to die", but when I joke around like that it sometimes happens. No one has died yet but... I think it means that you are riding where this owl lives. I too saw an owl fly down the trail ahead of me for about 40m and I consider myself lucky to have been there.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I was going to say "yes, it means you are going to die", but when I joke around like that it sometimes happens. No one has died yet but... I think it means that you are riding where this owl lives. I too saw an owl fly down the trail ahead of me for about 40m and I consider myself lucky to have been there.
    The weird thing is that I've been riding the same trails for almost two years now and I've never seen an owl before.

I was literally attacked by a bird once!

The owl omen - it's all good my friend. You should be happy.

Seriously, I was just riding along this trail when I felt or heard something behind me. I ignored it at first but then realized it was hitting my leg!! I looked down and behind me and there was a bird furiously RUNNING after me. I swear to God. And it wouldn't stop!! Every once in a while it would take off a little and peck my leg. Finally after a while it must have gotten tired because it stopped. I was cracking up. This bird had some balls.

What kind of bird was this? I was on the east coast at the time - NJ.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-15-2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: like take?

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    The owl omen - it's all good my friend. You should be happy.

Seriously, I was just riding along this trail when I felt or heard something behind me. I ignored it at first but then realized it was hitting my leg!! I looked down and behind me and there was a bird furiously RUNNING after me. I swear to God. And it wouldn't stop!! Every once in a while it would like off a little and peck my leg. Finally after a while it must have gotten tired because it stopped. I was cracking up. This bird had some balls.

What kind of bird was this? I was on the east coast at the time - NJ.
    Haha, I saw a mocking bird taking dive bombs at teh owl today. Damn things do that to anything that gets too close to their nest.

mtbr member
    In the book, "Animal Speak" (pgs 172-181) by Ted Andrews, owls represent (in summary):

Owl: wisdom, insight, psychic vision

Other sources report:

Owl: wisdom, clairvoyance, magic

In Native American culture, owls are associated with magic, clairvoyance and astral travel. Owls are birds of the night – they have the power to see the unseen in the blackest of darkness, to hunt for food and fly silently through the night.

Owls have often been associated with magic, witches and sorcerers and in some cultures the owl is a symbol of wisdom and all-seeing knowledge. The Greek goddess Athena was often pictured with an owl on her shoulder who had the power to reveal hidden secrets.

Owl energy helps you to connect with your inner wisdom and intuition. It can aid with clairvoyance and the ability to see through deception to the truth of a situation. To have an owl symbol can aid in the intention to increase your wisdom or intuitive skills. Some activities that can help support this connection include dreams and meditation.

I'd consider your encounter a good thing!

mtbr member
    i see this owl in the woods almost everytime i am there. i named him chuck. got to see him take off from a tree a few times. the first time i that he was dive bombing me but he just cruised overhead. Chuck is pretty cool!

Space for rent...
    Have you checked your fly? He could just be hungry.
    It's only pain......

Quote Originally Posted by XRAYO
    In the book, "Animal Speak" (pgs 172-181) by Ted Andrews, owls represent (in summary)
    Owl: wisdom, insight, psychic vision
    !
    Cool, I was hoping it was something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    Have you checked your fly? He could just be hungry.
    damn, you're right. I gotta stop waving my weiner around in the woods.

Seriously though, I think I may try to feed him next time. I'm leaning towards feeder mice a the pet store.

mtbr member

Well

I'm not into supersticion so to me it's a good omen; they are the original stealth flying machine so spoting one means you have you're head up and you're eyes open and you're less likely to run into any problems. Plus it allways makes me feel better to see wild animals during a ride.

mtbr member
    You are "feeding" him. He was following to see if you were going to scare up some lunch.

Mike
    Last edited by Dartman; 09-16-2005 at 04:10 AM.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartman
    You are "feeding" him. He was following to see if you were going to scare up some lunch.

Mike
    10000000% correct!

I've had mutiple types of birds follow me for the same reason through clearcutts. They like the bikers because they flush out the small critters from the brush...

cool stuff!

mtbr member
    I don't think I would feed him.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by XRAYO
    I don't think I would feed him.
    Not with 100 lbs of body mass you wont...

sorry, had to take the cheap shot...

Rat Fink
    It means all your small rodents will soon be transformed into owl pellets.

Or the owl thinks you're a rat.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Harry Potter is trying to get a message to you.

;^P

Seriously, any time I get to see elusive wildlife, I consider myself lucky.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have YOU ever been dive-bombed by a mockingbird? It happens all the time here in Texas. In fact, that is our state bird. I really don't know why we choose such an aggressive and annoying sounding bird. Its own call is hideous sounding.

Those birds seriously have some balls. They attack animals that are much larger. I used to get a kick out of watching my dog being dive-bombed. She seriously was getting pissed, but couldn't do anything about it. I was also entertained on a recent road ride where I saw a mockingbird attack a red-tailed hawk. That surprised me because those hawks are pretty fierce birds of prey. Nevertheless, that hawk was high tailing it as fast as it could. A couple of other mocking birds even joined in on the chase. Its always cool to see the different wildlife on rides you normally don't get to experience.

mtbr member

weird

this just happened to me recently.

i was riding down an open double track section of my local trail and out of my peripheral vision above my head i see this huge thing flying about 10 feet over my head. at first i thought it was a hawk but indeed it was a huge owl. he landed on a tree to my left and turned his head 180 degrees back at me, it put chills up my spine. i was stunned at the wingspan of this guy, probably about 6 feet.

beautiful creature.

just along for the ride
    Owls are nothing compared to Blue Herons, where I ride one can blaze around a blind corner and be nose to beak with a 4' high bird with a freaking sword for a dinner fork. They hunt ground squirels and if you ever see one get lucky it will put the fear of a higher being in you if you been bad and are reincarneted

You got it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dartman

Mike
    this sounds exactly right.

Owls are definitely cool and I love seeing them. But my favorite bird has to be the hummingbird. They are freakin' amazing.

mtbr member

right

actually this is probably right, when i go canoeing the blue herons follow us all the way down the river to see what we will scare up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    this sounds exactly right.

Owls are definitely cool and I love seeing them. But my favorite bird has to be the hummingbird. They are freakin' amazing.
    I might have to agree with you there. I have never been so amazed by birds as I have been when I saw a flock of hummingbirds buzzing around a sugar-water feeder in Colorado. There were probably 20 of them all trying to get a piece of the fake plastic flowers holding the sweet nectar they so desire. I was amazed by the beauty of hummingbirds in Colorado. They are much more colorful than here in Texas. They also come a lot closer to humans there. When I'd see one on the feeder at my parent's house, you had to be sure not to make sudden movements from inside the house or they flee. In Colorado, I always have these things flying up to me and hovering 3-4 feet away, like they are curious or something.

The only other lasting impression a bird has had on me was the first time I saw a Bald Eagle in person. I was about 15 when my dad and I were driving across a bridge over a dry creek bed. He spotted something, slammed on the brakes (after ensuring there were no other cars of course) and reversed back to the bridge. Just as we stopped, the lone eagle spreads it wings and takes off. It was one of the most beautiful things I have seen. It was made even more special by the rarity of such an occurance here in central Texas. There is an area at a nearby lake which is a seasonal habitat for bald eagles. Also, in the last two years, there has been an eagle's nest spotted off a nearby state highway which draws many people each spring. In fact, so many people have been coming to see it that the Texas Dept. of Transportation had to create a parking area due to the danger of having so many vehicles on the side of the road.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    The last couple rides at the local trails have been kinda weird. I see deer, turkeys, rabbits, snakes, etc. , but lately I've seen this owl on the past 4 rides. Every time I see it I see the thing at least 3 times during the ride. He just flys across or down the trail for a bit then chills on a branch and just stares at me. The second ride that I saw him I saw him 5 different times spanning about 10 miles of trail.

It's kinda creeping me out that this owl is following me, and I was thinking about what kind of omen this could represent. I'm just hoping this isn't a sign that I'm gonna die soon or somethin.
    It's not good dude.

http://www.pauldfrost.btinternet.co.uk/intro_o2.html

http://www.spiritproject.com/oracle/...nimals/owl.htm

dirty hippy mountainbiker

symbol

Literarily speaking Owls and other predatory birds are symbolic of doom or uncertain futures and the supernatural. Crows and magpies and other scavengers are symbolic of chaotic or unfair concequences or naturalistic retribution. Preaditory birds are more of a warning. But as with almost all nature symbols their meaning can be mitigated by making peace with them. Or, if they are a warning, by curtailing the dangerous behavior and offering a token to make peace.

Bottom line: Birds can be bad mojo...

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast