mtbr member

What kind of GREASE to use for packing Hadley front hub?

I have googled this question to death, and the best I have gotten it 'a light grease' and 'Hadley hubs are VERY particular in what they like...'.

So, what is a VERY PARTICULAR light grease that Hadley front hubs like their bearings to be packed with?? Some people threw out things like 'marine grease' and 'slick honey', while others shot these down and said not to pack Hadleys with such thick greases.

I have Park Polylube, but I have a feeling that isn't considered a 'light grease'...

mtbr member
    Unless the hub has a generator inside, I would frankly wonder why the conjecture about it. A bike type grease such as Phil Wood's green stuff would be a perfectly acceptable light type, or if it is a wet environment or disc/drum hub it would need something with more thermal tolerance.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: What kind of GREASE to use for packing Hadley front hub?

Marine grease is about as thick as it gets. Slick honey is really light while park is a good general grease. I was instructed to use slick honey with their hubs when I did a rebuild. When in doubt, call the company.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I ride in dry/ dusty desert conditions, forgot to add that in. Apparently, that changes things a bit. Not sure if the high heat and the super fine dust limit my options...

It is a NOS Hadley of unknown year. It is 4-bolt brake pattern, so we are talking 10+ years old. Build is solid as a freaking rock though. Not much more I know about it, still trying to get it open all the way for a better look. One side is seized closed, so I feel like a money with a monkey wrench trying to get this thing open...

mtbr member
    I'd use super web grease for the bearings. Actually, any of the grease types cited above are fine too. The only issue with Hadleys is their seals - which are generally smaller to encourage less friction. Since they have smaller seals, dirt gets in easier, so you should do maintenance frequently to keep the bearings clean. The actual type of grease is less of an issue.
    Check out my You Tube Channel