Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

What kind of bike carrier is best

I need a bike carrier for 4 bikes. I am looking for something for a 2" receiver hitch. I have looked at the hanging kind (from the top tube and one that hangs from the rims) and platform kind. What is everyone using and what are pros and cons of the different styles of bike carriers?

From online observations and not use, it appears to me the platform style looks more stable and secure, but they look big and heavy. The hanging are usually smaller and cheaper, but it seems more difficult to get bikes on them without having them bang together. Not to mention how to mount the bike with the steeply angled top tube. So what do you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Platform rack all the way. Yes, they are kinda heavy and not really made to be put on and taken off all the time. But they are more secure than the hanging style, you can put a variety of frame styles on them (I'm not sure my Enduro would work on a hanging style rack), etc.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hang from the rims?
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Rabid Lana fan
    [echo]Hang from the rims?[/echo]

Yes, please elaborate...curiosity piqued.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I thought that hang from the rim style was kind of an odd ball. I really liked it at first but I question how stable the bikes will be. Similar to hanging from the top bar I suppose.

Highland SportWing Aluminum Hitch-Mounted, 4-Bike Carrier - 2" Hitches Highland Hitch Bike Racks 1370400

The platform that has my attention right now is this one:
    SportRack Super EZ Platform-Style 4 Bike Carrier for 2" Hitches SportRack Hitch Bike Racks A30902LR

But I've really just started looking. I'm really not even sure what to look for at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Look for warranties and spare parts. Yakima and Thule are good places to start for tray racks. I do know that Thule offers a rack and add on that would fulfill the ticket for securely moving 4 expensive (ie, don't want/can't hang from the top tube). The downside? It will easily cost close to $800.

Your options as far as hanging hitch racks go are significantly less expensive, and you can even buy a bar that extends from under your saddle to under your handle bars to create a mock top tube. More expensive racks both sway less, and allow the bikes to sway less.

It would also be nice to buy from a manufacturer that has dealers nearby, should something go awry.

*edit* Well, I noticed nobody actually hit your original questions too well.

A hanging hitch rack is going to be more bang for your buck in terms of carrying capacity vs price. The downside is that not all bikes have a defined top tube (cruisers, sloping top tubes, mixtes, FS, some rigid bikes) that will easily mate with the cradles. Can it be done? Sure, but it's far from ideal, and damage to the bike is likely to occur. You also have higher incidences of damage to the paint job/finish on the bottom of the top tube, as the bikes will move, even in the most expensive racks. Bikes that have bottom-of-the-top-tube routed cables may have issues.

A tray style rack, on the other hand, only grips the tires/rims of the bike (and sometimes a stabilizer on the frame). They tend to be more stable, and are the way to move exotic frame designs/ delicate finishes. Tray style racks are more expensive, but ultimately,a better way to move the bike.

If you do consider going for a tray style mount, seriously consider a roof rack system, as the prices between the two won't be far off.

beater
    I only carry 1 or 2, so I have a 1-Up USA rack with a spare tray. If I wanted to carry 4 I'd choose a North Shore Rack. The way I look at it, for 2 bikes I want them parallel to the bumper, but more than that starts to extend a bike's height out from the vehicle, and then I'd rather have them hanging. 1-Up does also make a 4 bike rack, by the way.

The NSR racks hang bikes by the fork crowns. Frame style is irrelevant, but they won't accept road forks. There is plenty of information on both these racks (and many others) in the Car and Biker subforum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys, good info. That NSR looks interesting. I wonder though if it will work with my kids bikes. Since they are small it probably won't. I'm kind of hoping for something that willwork with kid and adult bikes so I don't have to buy another rack in 5 years when they are on full size bikes.

I've noticed that Sport rack has been purchased by Thule, so that may make it better for parts or warranty issues.

I'll have to see what I can find int the car and bike subforum. GUess I haven't run across that section yet.

Afric Pepperbird
    Platform rack all the way!!

By the way, may I suggest you also post this in the rack sub-forum? You may get more hits.

beater
    Whatever you decide, I do advise against the older designs that use horizontal bars to support your frame. They don't work with an increasing number of full-suspension mountain bike frames. I'm speaking from experience on this one. I had a Thule spare tire rack on the back of my Trooper, but my newest bike didn't work with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Whatever you decide, I do advise against the older designs that use horizontal bars to support your frame. They don't work with an increasing number of full-suspension mountain bike frames. I'm speaking from experience on this one. I had a Thule spare tire rack on the back of my Trooper, but my newest bike didn't work with it.
    Thanks, I don't see me ever going FS due to where I ride, but I do have a friend with one. So I suppose its a good thing to consider. I am really leaning more towards the platform design. I just hate how far back the stick. Those NSR look nice, a bit pricey but nice.

Thanks dirt farmer for the link. I looked for the best subforum but apparently I missed that whole section.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sport Rack is Thule's small-run, cheapo racks that they special make for retailers. As far as I know, they don't offer spare parts specifically for them, but you should be able to use Thule parts.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    The Swagman Quad 4 is great. Holds bike secure and easy to get them on and off. Mine came with a locking cable as well.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've got the sport wing and like it for my family (2 adults, 3 kids). Can get cramped with four bikes but, for the money, I like it. Hanging from the rims, with easy adjustment for various wheel sizes (16", 20", 26" & 29" for my family right now) is awesome.

If i was hauling four expensive fs bikes, I'd look at platform but i don't have the money for the one i really want...kuat nv

Your Best Friend
    The Kuat racks are crap for four bikes. Just thought I'd throw my experience out there. I do mountain bike guiding and I have used many racks in my business. The Kuat rack looks nice and the repair stand part is pretty handy but once you take it from a two bike system to four, the bikes no longer fit together well. If you were using it for only two bikes, I'd say do it, but not four, or if you have any inclination to ever upgrade to four.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys for all the input. I'm glad to hear the Swagman 4 and Sportwing are decent carriers. The Swagman looks pretty similar to the Sportrack I am considering. The only thing i don't like about it is how far out it sticks. But that seems to be the nature of all 4 bike carriers. The Sportwing is tempting because it can easily break down into a 2 bike carrier and being aluminum is lighter. But I think the platform racks look more solid. I also like the North Shore Racks system. But it looks like it hangs out just about as far as a platform carrier. So I'm not sure its worth the extra money. What they should have done is put the bikes facing each other so you they would essentiall be 2 wide and 2 deep with a little crossover. Once again, it seems that the market hasn't yet made what I think would be a superior system. Anyway, I appreciate all the input.

Silentfoe - I appreciate input from someone in your position that has used multiple racks. Its really good to know the Kuat is not good with 4 bikes. Do you have any experience with cheaper platforms like the SportrackSportRack Super EZ Platform-Style 4 Bike Carrier for 2" Hitches SportRack Hitch Bike Racks A30902LR:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Love my Kuat NV, but haven't tried it for 4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thule Euroclassic G6 with 4th bike adaptor.

beater
    The Arbutus racks look pretty slick, but their website shows out of stock. That rack solves what I think is the one flaw of the NSR: having to play bike Tetris with different stem, bar and stack dimensions.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    Silentfoe - I appreciate input from someone in your position that has used multiple racks. Its really good to know the Kuat is not good with 4 bikes. Do you have any experience with cheaper platforms like the SportrackSportRack Super EZ Platform-Style 4 Bike Carrier for 2" Hitches SportRack Hitch Bike Racks A30902LR:
    I have used that rack buy only on a week long trip to St. George. If I remember correctly, it worked rather well but it was a pain figuring out the sliders. I think we had to pull them off a couple times to balance out the bigger vs. smaller bikes but we eventually got it right. Pretty easy. It is probably the best four bike rack for anything near that price.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Arbutus racks look pretty slick, but their website shows out of stock. That rack solves what I think is the one flaw of the NSR: having to play bike Tetris with different stem, bar and stack dimensions.
    Nice, I like that better than the NSR. I wonder if they will get more stock and what the price is. I may need to send them an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I have used that rack buy only on a week long trip to St. George. If I remember correctly, it worked rather well but it was a pain figuring out the sliders. I think we had to pull them off a couple times to balance out the bigger vs. smaller bikes but we eventually got it right. Pretty easy. It is probably the best four bike rack for anything near that price.
    I'm glad to hear that. It will pretty much be used only by my family, so once I get the sliders set I would be good. I think this is my top choice right now unless I decide its worth more for something like that Arbutus. That Thule
    EuroClassice looks nice too.

DaFaJa
    1up rack FTW!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

NeedGod.com
    If you can afford it, get the 1up. I've read nothing but good things about them. I personally have had all types of racks and definitely like platforms racks the best. I have a Saris CycleOn Pro and love it. http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/v...cleon-pro.html
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    +1 on the 1up. Bonus: it's a conversation piece at the trailhead parking lot.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for all the input. I'm glad to hear the Swagman 4 and Sportwing are decent carriers. The Swagman looks pretty similar to the Sportrack I am considering. The only thing i don't like about it is how far out it sticks. But that seems to be the nature of all 4 bike carriers. The Sportwing is tempting because it can easily break down into a 2 bike carrier and being aluminum is lighter. But I think the platform racks look more solid. I also like the North Shore Racks system. But it looks like it hangs out just about as far as a platform carrier. So I'm not sure its worth the extra money. What they should have done is put the bikes facing each other so you they would essentiall be 2 wide and 2 deep with a little crossover. Once again, it seems that the market hasn't yet made what I think would be a superior system. Anyway, I appreciate all the input.
    The Swagman gets good reviews, and I almost pulled the trigger. The only problem I found was that it doesn't appear to fold up against the rear of the vehicle when not in use. That means you have to either take it off every ride or drive around with it sticking out the back. Not something I wanted to do, as I use my car for commuting, and I like to have the rack there to throw the bike on as quickly as possible. The platform racks aren't especially easy to put on or take off -- you need tools and about 5 minutes (ok, it is a simple process, admittedly, but it isn't as simple as just pulling a pin or something like that).

I went with a Yakima stick-up. It is only a few more $$ than the Swagman, but it does fold up against the rear of my vehicle when not in use, so I can leave it on there all the time. It doesn't have the capacity to expand to carry 4 bikes, though, so if that is a requirement, you'l have to look elsewhere.

Good luck!
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Food for thought, here is my plan.

I wanted a hitch rack for longer trips to improve mpgs, but it is kind of a hassle, like I mentioned above -- it gets in the way of the rear hatch when up, sticks out too far when down, all of that. I also want to be able to carry 4 bikes if necessary, and the hitch mounted 4-bike carriers are massive for my Subaru Outback's 1.25" factory receiver, not to mention pricey for one that can swing up when not in use, down out of the way, etc. So, I got the relatively inexpensive Yakima Stickup to carry 2 bikes, for trips, or when I need to carry more than 2 bikes (I bought the Stickup first because I had a 1800 mile road trip last week). I also plan to get 2 roof mounted racks, that I'll use for local riding, etc., and leave on the vehicle all the time. My total outlay in that scenario will be about $525 ($225 for the Stickup, estimated $300 for a pair of Yak Frontloaders), so less than I'd spend on one of the 4-bike hitch setups, I don't have to deal with a hitch mounted rack all the time, I can get relatively good mpgs on a road trip if I want, and I can have quick on-off access with the roof racks.

Of course, my vehicle already has the factory roof racks, and the receiver for the hitch racks, so I don't have to shell out for either of those items -- my system would be more expensive if I had to spend another couple hundred for load bars or for a receiver on the rear of the vehicle. But just a thought if you want to carry 4 bikes, want a little versatility, but don't want to spend $800 of a rack.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been looking at the highland sportwing hitch mount. Not sure if my car can handle four bikes though. I may start a thread and see what folks say.

I like how the sportwing uses the tires to hang the bike from. I have to carry two kid bikes and my wifes girly bike. The sportwing seems like it would make it easy to mount them all level even though they are all shaped a little funky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For those that missed it. I require a 4 bike carrier. So things like the 1up are of no use to me.

I have briefly considered a 2 bike carrier and a roof carrier. But since My Jeep has a 3" lift with 33" tires its a pretty tall vehicle and putting bikes up there would not be fun. Not to mention I would have to get an entire cage system plus bike rack which could cost over $1000 by the time I had everything I needed. So I am pretty much stuck with looking at the 4 bike carriers.

Ironsinker - I don't know what kind of a car you drive but if you get the proper reciever for it I see no reason the highland sportwind wouldn't work for you. Even with heavy 40lb bikes thats not over capacity on the tongue weight. The only problem I see would be if you can't find a 2" reciever hitch for your car. I don't think the sport wing comes with a 1 1/4" receiver option.

My situation is similar to yours. I need to carry my wifes bike and my 2 kid bikes. Which are small now, but will get bigger as they grow. On occasion I will also want to just carry my bike and a friends. Which is where the Highland is nice in that it breaks down into a 2 bike carrier. But I think I prefer the more solid platform setup.

beater
    For those that missed it. I require a 4 bike carrier. So things like the 1up are of no use to me.
    No, not necessarily.

Pictures from woodyak's post in the 1-Up thread:

Plenty of people who posted in that thread are carrying four bikes on 1-Ups using the double rack plus additional trays.

beater
    Oh, came across this picture from J_Westy while looking for woodyak's. It carries kids' bikes, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks evasive, I thought the 1 UP was a 1 bike only deal. The should call that a 4 up. Its not cheap though is it! If I understand their site correctly it would be $1000 for the 4 bike setup. It looks really nice, but I'll have to really think if I need to spend that kind of money. It does look like a nice system though.

DaFaJa
    Thanks evasive, I thought the 1 UP was a 1 bike only deal. The should call that a 4 up. Its not cheap though is it! If I understand their site correctly it would be $1000 for the 4 bike setup. It looks really nice, but I'll have to really think if I need to spend that kind of money. It does look like a nice system though.
    Best part of the 1up is how small it folds up when not using it, Now with 4 racks its not going to be that small, But when not needing all 4 racks it can be converted to hold just one.. I was not 100% sure I wanted this rack, Because no one where I live had one or sold one..so I could not put my hands on it...Its built like a tank and is light...
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

beater
    Yeah, the four bike setup isn't cheap. I had a little heartburn about paying nearly the cost of a NSR-4 for a two bike rack, but it really is the perfect rack for me. I generally only carry one bike at a time, and it folds up right against my bumper. And the racks themselves fold down, so on a recent road trip I carried my second tray with me as a 'just in case I need it' and it didn't take up much room. Obviously the four-bike setup would have the same ability to contract when you didn't need that much capacity.

I still think that four bikes in a tray configuration sticks out farther than I'd prefer. Here's a shot of my two bike 1-Up next to my friend's NSR-4. Obviously the perspective is a bit off, but you can see that four bikes on his rack doesn't stick out as far as four bikes would on mine.

mtbr member
    If you're concerned about warranty and what not, I'll look for the nearest REI to make your purchase. They have a 100% satisfaction return policy and you'll save some pennies through being a member.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    All this talk about 4 bike racks make me miss my Crewcab pickup.

mtbr member

I have briefly considered a 2 bike carrier and a roof carrier. But since My Jeep has a 3" lift with 33" tires its a pretty tall vehicle and putting bikes up there would not be fun. Not to mention I would have to get an entire cage system plus bike rack which could cost over $1000 by the time I had everything I needed. So I am pretty much stuck with looking at the 4 bike carriers.

Ironsinker - I don't know what kind of a car you drive but if you get the proper reciever for it I see no reason the highland sportwind wouldn't work for you. Even with heavy 40lb bikes thats not over capacity on the tongue weight. The only problem I see would be if you can't find a 2" reciever hitch for your car. I don't think the sport wing comes with a 1 1/4" receiver option.

My situation is similar to yours. I need to carry my wifes bike and my 2 kid bikes. Which are small now, but will get bigger as they grow. On occasion I will also want to just carry my bike and a friends. Which is where the Highland is nice in that it breaks down into a 2 bike carrier. But I think I prefer the more solid platform setup.
    What kind of Jeep do you have? If it is a Wrangler, do you have a spare tire on the back? If so, you'll need to be careful, because a lot of hitch racks wont have the clearance for a tire and handlebars. For example, on my Yakima rack, my handlebars are about 4" from my back window, so obviously no spare tire could fit between it and the bikes. You could get an extender, I suppose, but that is a lot of leverage on the rack and the receiver to push it back several more inches (not to mention legalities; I have no idea, but it doesn't seem legal to me to have a bike rack sticking out 4+ feet from your bumper w/ lights and stuff on it).

When I had a Wrangler w/ a 33 x 12.5 spare on the back, I found a Saris hanger rack that mounted to the lugs for the spare. Worked ok, carried 3 bikes as I recall (but that was back in 2000; no idea if they still have such a rack), but I sold the rack w/ the Jeep. When I got a CJ w/ a 35" spare tire on the back, I actually made a 2" receiver of sorts that welded to the tire holder and stuck out from the center of the wheel. I then fabricated my own hanging rack that I could put in that when I wanted, and that held the bikes high enough to avoid hitting the ground when offroad. Not that I ever went off-road with the bikes on there, I don't think, but you can't have an accessory on a CJ that isn't off-road capable! You have to be a little creative when it comes to finding a good solution for a Jeep!

When I carried bikes on the top of my Suburban (stock height, but still 6'+ tall, plus the reach to get to the bike racks), I just carried a folding 2-step ladder in the back all the time. Not really that big of a deal as far as on/off went. Only problem with the roof racks on a tall vehicle was they were sacrificed to a concrete beam in a parking garage when my wife took the 'Burb downtown one evening and forgot the racks were on the roof (fortunately, no bikes were involved!).

Edit: OP, have you seen North Shore racks. North Shore Racks

I have no experience with them, but I've seen them a few times, and they are well reviewed by owners on internet sites! Not that expensive for 4 bikes, either.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    All this talk about 4 bike racks make me miss my Crewcab pickup.
    No doubt! A pickup is really the way to go when hauling a bunch of bikes. I miss mine, too ...
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Edit: OP, have you seen North Shore racks. North Shore Racks

I have no experience with them, but I've seen them a few times, and they are well reviewed by owners on internet sites! Not that expensive for 4 bikes, either.
    I take it you haven't read through the thread. I posted a picture of one 3 posts ago.

beater
    No doubt! A pickup is really the way to go when hauling a bunch of bikes. I miss mine, too ...
    They do take some beating for convenience. Dakine tailgate pads aren't that expensive either.

mtbr member
    I take it you haven't read through the thread. I posted a picture of one 3 posts ago.
    No, I'm too busy pontificating and demonstrating my own knowledge to everyone else to pay attention to what others are posting.

Thanks, though ... maybe you can tell me what else I'm missing.

(note -- yes, I saw the picture, but I thought I'd give the OP a link).
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

beater
    No, I'm too busy pontificating and demonstrating my own knowledge to everyone else to pay attention to what others are posting.

Thanks, though ... maybe you can tell me what else I'm missing.

(note -- yes, I saw the picture, but I thought I'd give the OP a link).
    I'm sorry I came across jerky in that post; that wasn't my intent. Apologies. My point was really that the link to the NSR site was already posted early in the thread (post #7) and the OP has already checked them out and posted about it. That's why I posted the comparison photo as a follow-up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, the four bike setup isn't cheap. I had a little heartburn about paying nearly the cost of a NSR-4 for a two bike rack, but it really is the perfect rack for me. I generally only carry one bike at a time, and it folds up right against my bumper. And the racks themselves fold down, so on a recent road trip I carried my second tray with me as a 'just in case I need it' and it didn't take up much room. Obviously the four-bike setup would have the same ability to contract when you didn't need that much capacity.

I still think that four bikes in a tray configuration sticks out farther than I'd prefer. Here's a shot of my two bike 1-Up next to my friend's NSR-4. Obviously the perspective is a bit off, but you can see that four bikes on his rack doesn't stick out as far as four bikes would on mine.

Thanks for the picture. How far those 4 bike platforms stick out is a concern. However, when I look at the NSR rack in your photo it seems that if you look at the tires or seats, the bikes on the NSR type of rack stick out as far as a platform. It just looks like they are in closer. It would be interesting to have someone measure how far the tire sticks out on a NSR rack and how far it sticks out on a standard platform rack. To me it looks like they would be almost the same.

My vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler with the spare tire on the back. So I have been concerned about not having enough room with the spare. Fortunately my spare only sticks out about an inch further than stock. So that helps. So I think I should be able to at least mount one of the kids small bikes in the first position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Apart from cost (which is a significant hurdle), nothing can touch the 1up.

Carries 4 bikes, made in the US, folds up ridiculously small, can fit ANY size bike of ANY type (can carry road bikes, unlike NSR), etc. As for post-purchase peace of mind, 1up will pay for the shipping to return the rack if you don't like it. They will also pay for shipping both ways to do free warranty work for the life of the rack.

But the cost is definitely prohibitive for many, although if you buy the add-ons over time, it gets a little easier. The rack is worth every penny (as it should be for that many pennies!).

mtbr member
    My vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler with the spare tire on the back. So I have been concerned about not having enough room with the spare. Fortunately my spare only sticks out about an inch further than stock. So that helps. So I think I should be able to at least mount one of the kids small bikes in the first position.
    If you're running 33's, you can't use a stock spare on the Jeep anyway (ok, I guess you could in a pinch for a few miles if you have completely open differentials, but you're gonna wreak some havoc on your drivetrain if you do more than that), so you could always just ditch the spare. But yeah, the NS racks look like a pretty good bet with a Jeep and tire issues and all of that.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you're running 33's, you can't use a stock spare on the Jeep anyway (ok, I guess you could in a pinch for a few miles if you have completely open differentials, but you're gonna wreak some havoc on your drivetrain if you do more than that), so you could always just ditch the spare. But yeah, the NS racks look like a pretty good bet with a Jeep and tire issues and all of that.
    My spare is a matching 285/75R16 on the stock Moab rims. I have an Exogate tire carrier from GR8TOPS to reinfoce the tailgate hinges. So I only stick out the extra inch from the Exogate and 40mm from tire width. Otherwise I am using the stock tire carrier. So I am good there. I was just trying to say I don't have a 12.5x33 with shallow offset rims that would stick way out. I was able to make my brothers standard hanging rack work so I'm not too overly concerned about the spare sticking out too far.

But thanks for your comments and concerns about the diffs. You obviously know your Jeeps. You can find me over at jeepforum.com as Fargo. I have a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara limited edition (1 of 1000 built).

mtbr member
    My spare is a matching 285/75R16 on the stock Moab rims. I have an Exogate tire carrier from GR8TOPS to reinfoce the tailgate hinges. So I only stick out the extra inch from the Exogate and 40mm from tire width. Otherwise I am using the stock tire carrier. So I am good there. I was just trying to say I don't have a 12.5x33 with shallow offset rims that would stick way out. I was able to make my brothers standard hanging rack work so I'm not too overly concerned about the spare sticking out too far.

But thanks for your comments and concerns about the diffs. You obviously know your Jeeps. You can find me over at jeepforum.com as Fargo. I have a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara limited edition (1 of 1000 built).
    Got it, sounds like you know what you are doing. I've just seen plenty of small stock spares carried around on built Jeeps, and always wonder what they plan to do with it?

I've tried to stay away from Jeep forums since I sold my CJ-7. Too much temptation and regret (did I really need to sell the Jeep to raise funds for a down payment on a house that has depreciated in value, anyway??? Why didn't we just continue renting ...), and I just don't need another expensive hobby at this point! But I'll have to look your rig up one of these days ...
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ... But I'll have to look your rig up one of these days ...
    That means I need to update my profile. I don't think I have any pictures on there yet with my lift. I hear what your saying about expensive hobbies. I'm really just getting into mtn biking and I'm already finding it can be as addicting as Jeeps. Anyway, back to bike racks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1up.

Ariolimax columbianus

Tuf rack?

TufRack. I'm pickin up one these up soon. Lots of choices, options. At this point I feel that some of the drawbacks outweigh the pure burliness of these racks. I used an old Yakima 1.25" hitch mount two bike rack for a long time on my old Subaru. It actually worked pretty well on long road trips from CA to OR as well as a lot of the forest service roads in central Oregon (Oakridge, NUT).

Actually the first an only time I saw the tuf rack was on the alpine trail in Oakridge, OR. It was mounted to a Polaris razor. I just thought it was the raddest shuttle mobile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    TufRack. I'm pickin up one these up soon. Lots of choices, options. At this point I feel that some of the drawbacks outweigh the pure burliness of these racks. I used an old Yakima 1.25" hitch mount two bike rack for a long time on my old Subaru. It actually worked pretty well on long road trips from CA to OR as well as a lot of the forest service roads in central Oregon (Oakridge, NUT).

Actually the first an only time I saw the tuf rack was on the alpine trail in Oakridge, OR. It was mounted to a Polaris razor. I just thought it was the raddest shuttle mobile.
    The TufRack seems like a good idea. I like the modularity but the standard hitch pin and ratchet strap are ultra-janky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1