Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what items do you carry in your first aid kit?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GelatiCruiser 
#1 ·
what items do you carry in your first aid kit?

#3 ·
As far as medical supplies...

-non-latex gloves
-alcohol prep pads
-a couple of bandaids
-roll o' medical tape
-tincture of benzoin
-roll of gauze
-lidocaine wipe
-2 packaged butterfly closures
-a couple of diphenhydramine
-a couple of aspirin

If I need to use more than those, it's time to pack it in anyway. If I was going on an extended ride/trip, the kit grows. Just like the repair kit, as I got more experienced, what I carried with me shrunk.

#9 ·
I will add two items, one cheap one not so much
Cheap isrerali bandage. Awesome and inexpensive

Expensive. Quick clot gauze. Awesome but pricy

Opps and a space blanket. With these three items you have treated blood loss and shock, two big killers.

Bill
In addition to an Izzy dressing and Combat Gauze (Quikclot Gauze), I take it a step further with regards to hemorrhage control and throw a CAT TQ in my small kit. Lightweight and could literally be a life saver if direct pressure is found to be inadequate. It's interesting how the use of TQs in the civilian world is finally starting to gain the acceptance it's had for the past decade in military emergency medicine.

Overkill? Maybe. I'd rather have it and not need it......

#12 ·
Quick clot gauze is on amazon at about 40.00 a package. If i remember correctly, the gauze is the only one that can be used on head wounds. THere are less expensive quick clot sponges, longer shelf life and work very well, but cannot be used on head wounds. Thats what the irseli bandage is so good for.

Plus one on the torniquet. THe new stuff is life savers, and working with quick clot can really save your life or someone elses.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.