Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?

What have you broken and/or disfigured on your bike or body and how did you do it?

My friend fractured his wrist and broke his middle finger a few weeks ago doing 3-4 foot dirt jump. He's missing the trails right now.

Last weekend I bent my rear derailer hanger, broke my shifter, messed up my bottom bracket & threw off my shifting. All this jumping a log. You would have thought I fell, but I didn't. The bottom of my bike hit the log and I kept going, but I noticed immediately that my gear on my left grip was stuck in a specific gear and my chain was rubbing. Any who, guess I need to learn how to jump logs better.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I built a dual slalom course for collegiate racing, but built it with my arenacross experience in mind. I went to jump the triple on race day, nosed in and ruptured my spleen, knocked myself out, and chipped my elbow

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?

Thunk I need a new one...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BIKESmizzou View Post
    I built a dual slalom course for collegiate racing, but built it with my arenacross experience in mind. I went to jump the triple on race day, nosed in and ruptured my spleen, knocked myself out, and chipped my elbow
    Ouch! So sorry to hear that one dude. I hope all is well or getting well rather quickly. I think that takes the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post

Thunk I need a new one...
    Lol! Yeah, I think you're right. How did you do it?

slow
    Was climbing in a gear that was too high. Still cleaned the climb, but the cranks are shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?-crank.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    spleen guys wins. all i have is a messed up pinky finger that i broke, and never took to the doctor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Was climbing in a gear that was too high. Still cleaned the climb, but the cranks are shot.
    Oh wow!!!! No way!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It all went over as well as it could have, ladys love ab scars!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    currently a broken wrist. wiped out on the run out after a small drop. no idea how--happened all too fast. (flat creek crossing ranch)

scratched the edge 800 but just cosmetic.

prior from oldest to newest... scarred face (dana peak on bunny jumps trail), broken ribs twice (pocahontas state park VA and Slaughter Creek) , broken ankle (Lake Bryan, TX).

rider
    was cruising home from doing some urban assault on my p.allmountain this summer. sunny day, birds were chirping, good times. woke up with 4 firemen and 2 cops surrounding me. someone apparently took me out while i was riding in the bike lane like a normal law abiding citizen. i had a fractured skull, inter-cranial bleeding, broken clavicle, and 3 broken ribs. bike was missing some paint and needed the front wheel trued. driver bailed and no one got a license plate or decent desciption.

i'm healed now, but got almost 40k in medical bills...good times.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by uneek
    Ouch! So sorry to hear that one dude. I hope all is well or getting well rather quickly. I think that takes the cake.

Lol! Yeah, I think you're right. How did you do it?
    NO idea. Was going downhill and i guess I hit a rock? I just thought my chain bounced off... Looked down and... Dagger! There's no damage to the derailleur itself, so it has me a little curious. Ah well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cross rutted and slid a good distance at a good clip! Good times!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?-image.jpg  

What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?-image.jpg  

What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 3vil View Post
    was cruising home from doing some urban assault on my p.allmountain this summer. sunny day, birds were chirping, good times. woke up with 4 firemen and 2 cops surrounding me. someone apparently took me out while i was riding in the bike lane like a normal law abiding citizen. i had a fractured skull, inter-cranial bleeding, broken clavicle, and 3 broken ribs. bike was missing some paint and needed the front wheel trued. driver bailed and no one got a license plate or decent desciption.

i'm healed now, but got almost 40k in medical bills...good times.
    Dude, that super sucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neuro46 View Post
    Oweeeeee!!!!!!

Front Range, Colorado
    My story told in this thread. Five years later and I have lost 40% movement in my wrist. When good days go bad.....
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Ouch. Clipped a tree with the handlebars heading down a hill and around a corner and sideways wheel locked up on a rock and sent me flying...

What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?-001.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was reading this and then went to swap tyres on my bikes. On the third wheel when testing if rotor was in a good place of caliper my finger got stuck in the rim. I injured everything above the top knuckle on my index finger.

mtbr member
    OK, brand new bike, first day. Adjusted my handlebar. A brake lever gouge in my top rail ensued - down to the metal. If that wasn't bad enough, I then attempted a repair with rattlecan paint, which looked like hell, so I tried to sand some of that off. The end result is pure-dee fugly. :facepalm:

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    My story told in this thread. Five years later and I have lost 40% movement in my wrist. When good days go bad.....
    Wow..........you never thought something so innocent and simple could have gone so wrong. This may be a stupid question, but are you still able to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I was reading this and then went to swap tyres on my bikes. On the third wheel when testing if rotor was in a good place of caliper my finger got stuck in the rim. I injured everything above the top knuckle on my index finger.
    Wow, and you weren't even texting and driving............evidently surfing and fixing bikes is pretty high up on the list of dangerous things to do!

mtbr member
    What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you do it?-530883_3241864899194_1513544284_n.jpg

Feeling the flow on River view at Tanasi a couple days after a storm came through. The wind had blown a loop of Saw briar over the trail and unfortunately I didn't see it in time. Finished the ride and ended up with a few scars but it was all good.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by uneek78 View Post
    Wow..........you never thought something so innocent and simple could have gone so wrong. This may be a stupid question, but are you still able to ride?

Wow, and you weren't even texting and
    driving............evidently surfing and fixing bikes is
    pretty high up on the list of dangerous things to
    do!

Yeah luckily I grew up riding motocross and it toughened me up on injuries. I wasn't going to let
    this beat me. I started back up on the bike a month after being in the cast for six weeks. Its been 5 years now. The first three years I had serious pain all the time. The last two years the pain has diminished quite a bit. My riding has been
    effected in terms of being somewhat gun shy on steep technical terrain. I know if I try to break a fall with my palm out my wrist will wont bend far before braking again. The loss of movement in my wrist has effected my every day life, but I have learned to deal with it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Plays with tools
    I broke my frame yesterday. Dropout cracked lose from the chain stay and crumpled the seat stay under braking. Time for something different.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by neuro46 View Post
    Have fun showering! PAIN!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yeah luckily I grew up riding motocross and it toughened me up on injuries. I wasn't going to let
    this beat me. I started back up on the bike a month after being in the cast for six weeks. Its been 5 years now. The first three years I had serious pain all the time. The last two years the pain has diminished quite a bit. My riding has been
    effected in terms of being somewhat gun shy on steep technical terrain. I know if I try to break a fall with my palm out my wrist will wont bend far before braking again. The loss of movement in my wrist has effected my every day life, but I have learned to deal with it.
    Big ups to you and getting back out there!!! I would have been home contemplating. I just starting riding in november. And I love MTBing A LOT!!!! When I started this thread I guess I didn't quite think of the implications of it. Reading some of these stories almost (ALMOST) made me re-think riding. You know what though........I can't live life in a bottle. I tend to be a worry wart type of person so me doing this altogether is surprising. But I'm in love!!!! Lol!

usually cranky
    not very gnarly or bike related but skiing this weekend i got skiers thumb. fell on a rail slide and jammed my right thumb. might be sprained, no biggie.

dwt
    mtbr member

What have you broken/disfigured recently on your bike or body and how did you d

Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    spleen guys wins. all i have is a messed up pinky finger that i broke, and never took to the doctor.
    Ditto here. Good thing I don'd play piano, violin or guitar though. It doesn't bend right. Reduced my bar width to 165mm. No more tree bashes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast