Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What happened to Performance Bike?

When I was riding heavily in the 90s, Performance was one of my favorite shops. Great selection of parts and clothes. I could spend hours shopping there and always found what I wanted.

Today, it's a joke. I bought one of my kids' bikes there and, as such, have a $65 store credit from that Team Performance thing. cool! It expires in a month so I'd better spend it. As luck would have it, I'm building up a new singlespeed and need parts! I'm swapping a lot of parts from my older singlespeed but there are quite a lot of things I still need. Let's go shopping!

Let's see...WTB Volt saddle! Good choice --no, Performance doesn't sell it.

Oh, well I need wheels. Maybe I'll put it to an affordable set of 650b XC wheels. Uh...nope. Enduro or nothing.

OK, fine. A nice Easton carbon handlebar isn't a necessity but I'd love to put one on the SS. They don't sell Easton and their store-brand are all $150??

Geesh...running out of components.

OK, how about a singlespeed chain? Nope.

New Jagwire cables for my BB7 brakes? Nope.

Tubeless ready tires? One in stock and it's the least durable tire I've seen.

Fine. I'll buy another bottle of Stan's fluid and stock up on Clif bars.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Yup! They cater more to entry level cyclists these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Yup! They cater more to entry level cyclists these days.
    Yep. My local one has ONE tubeless ready tire option and their best mtb's have an X5/X7 drivetrain mix.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I cant speak for the history of PerformanceBike.. since there wasnt one in my area until about 1 year ago. In my area.. PB stocks more performance parts (tires, helmets, nutritionals, Park Tools, Lubes, etc) than any bike shop ive seen within 100 miles.. Granted, its nothing like other online retailers such as Universalcycles (who is also a LBS in certain other areas).
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

The White Jeff W

Re: What happened to Performance Bike?

I bought a rigid SS bike there fathers day weekend. They bumped the credit to 30% so I had $180 to spend. Had a similar experience as the O.P. I got a bottle of Stans, some valve stems, a chain, some fatter grips, brake pads, etc. Couldn't find anything good to spend it on!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Its the Walmart of bike shops.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Brackish

Steady downward slope since the late 90s...even in the early 2000s they were still somewhat respectanle, but after they killed Supergo the decline accelerated.

EMBA Member
    I've found good deals on bike shorts, jerseys, and gloves there.

mtbr member
    I like to use them for stuff. They always have sales there. I get stuff like power bars, I have picked up a WTB saddle and a WTB tire both on sale. I got their Spin Doctor Pro work stand on sale too.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
    Steady downward slope since the late 90s...even in the early 2000s they were still somewhat respectanle, but after they killed Supergo the decline accelerated.
    I was gonna mention Supergo. I was bummed when Performance bought them...ruined a great store!

The Original Suspect
    What pisses me off about Performance is getting asked every fifteen seconds if I need help and being followed around the store by a sales person until I pick something up only have them make a comment or try to sell me their house brand instead.

I have found some decent deals in their 50% off bin.

beater

What happened to Performance Bike?

The last time I was in a Performance was probably 1992. It's interesting to hear how much they've changed. When I was in high school, it was the only option in the region for high end bikes, parts, and clothes. None of the local shops had anything you'd want to look at- just typical strip mall low-end suburban stuff. But the Performance in Fairfax had bikes you'd ogle, like a neon pink Klein.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Their sales as most big shops has gone the way of internet sales as most bike stores they can't afford to stock a lot of stuff as they used to. Huge overhead. I tend to support the smaller bike shops in my area like The Path. If the don't have it they can get it pretty fast and I still get a better deal. Built a good relationship with them.

mtbr member
    I don't have a problem with Performance. I go there all the time.

I admit they don't have the same amount or mix of choices that they had back in the catalog days. When it arrived in the mail, I'd flip through it for hours.

I recall from their first few stores in the area that a lot of the expensive rims, hubs, and other parts had to be ordered anyway. I remember having to order Superbe Pro hubs and Mavic rims.

But I've gone there recently and picked up spokes, a bunch of aluminum nipples, derailleur shims, and other stuff from their service desk, so they do have some maintenance parts.

I'm not sure if there are very many bike shops out there today with an great selection on hand, but they can order it for you. It may be that Performance no longer offers that service and is limiting their sales to specific items they sell. That may be the biggest change over the years.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

> /dev/null 2&>1

Their mtb bike and parts stock sucks but I get a lot of my nutrition there since they have a sale every two weeks. I also get clothes there from time to time, they have a good selection. Also when you need a quick fix for something you don't have the tool for, like a headset cup or something, they will usually do it while you wait.

mtbr member
    I go to performance all the time. I get clothes there and a few parts. They have a solid selection there. I get tires on line and most hard parts on line too. I don't like buying clothing on line as I like to feel the material.

They did have better parts and bike selection when they were Supergo.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Many years ago I bought stuff from them occasionally but at this point they're pretty much last-resort. Many times I've gone in to buy something that was advertised--they didn't even have stock. Seems pretty underhanded to me.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    They did have better parts and bike selection when they were Supergo.
    Performance was never Supergo. They bought Supergo. Which was a very bad thing.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

I used to like supergo. Or better yet, Speedgoat. I started shopping at performance in the early 2000's and have noticed their catalog choices get progressively cheaper as time went on. It used to be that Nashbar was the cheap stuff and Performance was the better stuff, at least. Now, I can't tell a difference between the two.

Now I tend to shop at Jensen or Universal Cycles when I buy online. I have shopped Bicycle Outfitters Indy in the recent past, but I now work for one of their local competitors so not so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    SuperGo catalogs were like christmas for me, always great deals. I believe Performance also bought Nashbar which I have had a bad experience with. They had a killer deal on Mavic Crosstrails, so I ordered them. They mailed me a pair of cross rides. I called them and they thought I was lying. I had to mail them back to be examined before they would send me what I already paid for. Would never shop their again unless desperate for a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane5001 View Post
    SuperGo catalogs were like christmas for me, always great deals. I believe Performance also bought Nashbar which I have had a bad experience with. They had a killer deal on Mavic Crosstrails, so I ordered them. They mailed me a pair of cross rides. I called them and they thought I was lying. I had to mail them back to be examined before they would send me what I already paid for. Would never shop their again unless desperate for a part.
    They did. Shortly after the buyout, there was distinction between the two. Not anymore. I think that spells the end for Nashbar at some point in the future.

Front Range, Colorado
    Performance sucks period.
    SuperGo was awesome and as already stated when Performance bought out SuperGo they were very similar. As each year passed they progressively became more of a family bike store and not for serious cyclists.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I bought my first 'real' mountain bike there as well as my first bike helmet there two years ago. I still go there for tubes, tires, and other maintenance stuff. They don't carry everything (even online) nor are they high end, but I think they do an excellent job of introducing new people to the sport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
    Agree! man, it seemed like their goal was to destroy SuperGo and themselves. man, I loved SuperGo, at least when it was good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When you guys say "store credit" is it limited to the brick and mortar or can it be used online?

And for all the other posts recalling Performance catalogue, I remember it well and it was "high end" back in the day. I don't know what Performance does via internet sales, but it just seems to me that they missed the opportunity. But who knows, maybe their online stuff is doing great?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast