:\ ping of death

What effects does a longer stem have?

Im thinking of going from 100mm - 15` rise to 120mm - 6' rise. What type of changes will I see i.e. quicker steering, body positioning, etc??
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    Im thinking of going from 100mm - 15` rise to 120mm - 6' rise. What type of changes will I see i.e. quicker steering, body positioning, etc??
    Nose stays put when climbing, long stretch

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    The main change you will see on your bike is a 20mm longer stem on it.

JFWU

You will experience a slightly diferent weight distribution towards the front of the bike, as the other post says more strech out position.
    It would slow down the steering.and make it more difficult to control on the downhills... Obviously that`s what hapens in paper, but the real effect it has depends on your riding and the bike`s geometry.
    I did that on my Kikapu.. switch from a 90mm stem to a 110mm. to avoid my front wheel from lifting. And since the kikapu has a very salck head angle it didnr affect me much on the downhills. But i noticed the slooooow steering effect.
    Lesson of the month: Don`t run of a cliff on your Mountain Bike. It`s quite painful.

mtbr member

It will slow the steering and transfer you're weight bias towards the front. The latter can help going up but WILL HURT going down. If you're a pure XC climber type a longer stem will help but if you're into the DH the shorter stem is confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    did the same thing on my rainier, like they say, my body is a little more forward and down so my climbs are better(was having a problem lifting fr tire)

don't think it affected my steering short of the wt distribution