Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    20 years ago I used to love watching Juli Furtado tear up the women's XC races on ESPN. A friend of mine saw one of the clips of her climbing in Mt. Snow, Vermont. You could hear her breathing hard on that climb. He referred to her heavy breathing as "freight training".

Since I'm always pretty loud myself when I'm climbing a steep hill, I decided to give myself the username "freighttraininguphill" on cycling forums. Unfortunately, MTBR wouldn't take that many letters when I signed up, so I had to leave off the "ing" part.

Proof of how loud I am while climbing is in this video of a very steep road climb I did with a male riding partner (I'm a female cyclist). We were climbing a hill with a 25% section. He had his GoPro HD Hero on his helmet. I had my ContourHD on mine.

He tried to do the climb in too high of a gear. His cadence slowed down to nothing (I was behind him by that time, as usual), and he stalled out at 2:26. He was doing some pretty good freight training himself, btw.

From 2:26 to 2:56 you can hear me approaching-a full 30 seconds before I'm in camera view!

Hammerin' Wheels rider climbing Happy Hollow Lane 12-20-12 - YouTube

Here's my version of the same climb.

Happy Hollow Lane climb 12-20-12 - YouTube

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Proof of how loud I am while climbing is in this video
    Most appropriate user name on MTBR !

Happys New Year
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    I believe that I first used my handle for an eBay account around Y2K, when I still lived in Burke. (I now live 15 minutes south, in St. Johnsbury. And yes, we measure distance by time here.) When I first registered for mtbr, I stuck with it, wanting to identify myself with my home trails, which were not yet so well known, but known by those in-the-know, if you know what I mean.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    June Bug was our family dog. A Pekinese/Cocker Spaniel cross, she had limpid brown eyes, a slight underbite and a quizzical look that seemed to convey that she was always on the verge of understanding......something. Sweetest dog ever.

She was pregnant when we got her; as the days ticked by she got larger and larger and finally delivered one giant puppy.

June bugs are brown beetles that come out in force in late spring in the South and in East and Central Texas. It is also a term sometimes applied to precocious & adorable young children (again, Southern usage).
    Last edited by June Bug; 12-31-2012 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Texanaggie View Post
    TexanAggie Texan - Houston Texans fan or I was born and raised in Texas thus Texan
    Aggie - Texas A&M fan
    Whoo Hooo Cotton Bowl on Friday!
    Last edited by June Bug; 12-31-2012 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Can't recall if I replied to this thread or not.

Anyhow, names Ray and I've been an avid shooter since I was old enough to hold a firearm. I eventually got into target shooting and bought a 50 Cal (BMG) rifle. Thus, 50Calray.

mtbr member
    its like a perfect 10, but not.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mine is a combination of songs from nine inch nails, eraser and beside you in time. I'm in no way fast and take seconds off the clock lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 26" cruiser that no one can identify. So nonamecruiser seemed like an appropriate name to use.

I'm your density
    Multi-purpose, in no particular order:

1. A probabalistic model describing random movement of objects along defined or undefined paths. My avatar is an example. I've used this model to simulate communication performance in mobile networks.

2. I like to hike - anytime, anywhere.

3. Once when riding up a steep fire road, I lost momentum and balance, made an abrupt 90-degree turn to the left, recovered with another one to the right and cleaned the climb. One of my buddies called out "that was random!" or something like that.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Lt. Dan- I have a shitload of hardware in my left leg- *cue Forest Gump jokes*

12a- Designation of the 12a Rotary engine found in the first generation Mazda RX-7

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride single speed, but I'm not particularly skilled at it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm lazy and thoughtless.

Hermit
    When I started kayaking 20 years ago I learned how to get comfortable in a boat by paddling around in the slow water and swamps of NE Ohio. Still know more backwater places than most anybody in this area. Paddled in beaver ponds and drainage ditches. "Swampboy" came from a joke comment by my wife, and has stuck around.

And yes, I did move on to whitewater from swamps eventually - but no one ever called me 'rapidboy'.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Vincit qui patitur
    Pretty much speaks for itself
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    <--- my real name.

btw: i saw a user a few days ago on some other platform which nick was "Edgeraze"
    what does it mean?

The White Jeff W

Re: what does your nickname mean?

Jeff Watson. 13 is the number on my hockey jersey, not my age.

"The white Jeff W is what they called me at the lbs. There was a black guy that came into the shop that had the same name.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Chili Pequin
    I love these things! They just grow wild in my yard.

T.W.O.
    Mimi was my 15 year old dog(pic) who got me hooked. She loves running with me on the trails. She died on a memorial day weekend. 1885 John Kemp Starley demonstrates the Rover safety bicycle, regarded as the first practical modern bicycle, or Karl Benz produces the Benz Patent-Motorwagen, regarded as the first automobile, pick one

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My two daughters never met a critter they didn't fall in love with and want to take home. My wife and I are suckers, too. At one point or another we've had dogs, cats, birds, fish, snakes, lizards, hermit crabs, rats, mice, frogs, and probably some I've forgotten.

You get the idea!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

what does your nickname mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
    My two daughters never met a critter they didn't fall in love with and want to take home.

You get the idea!!!
    That's funny my nick name is 'critter'.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello all. First post; my username is first 2 initials and part of my last name, nothing creative.

My most recent mountain bike experience was a 2hr ride today on my new Rockhopper 29er (third ride on the bike). I went to Naylor Mill in Salisbury, Md. The blizzard didn't make it down that far and the trails were in perfect condition.

This new bike is a revelation because my previous ride was a 1998 Team Marin hardtail frame with a circa 1994 Manitou elastomer fork, it was a Frankenbike for sure. I can now do many things I could never do before with this new 29er

mtbr member
    I used to brew at a place called ironworks, thus ironbrewer

mtbr member
    I like beans

mtbr member

what does your nickname mean?

It's a shortcut name of the company I work for...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast