Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what does your nickname mean?

8K views 130 replies 113 participants last post by  solidass 
#1 ·
Im sure it means something. Just courious.
I will start with mine:
Inter, is my favorite soccer club from Italy, Internazionale Milano, or Inter Milan, or just Inter for short.
F.C. Internazionale Milano - Sito Ufficiale
FORZA INTER!

#89 ·
Well my screen name breaks down into two reasons why the name came about.

The first reason is because I owned a 1996 Kona Lava Dome mountain bike. It was bright orange metallic. 21 speeds. Complete Shimano STX group. To this day I miss that bike and have not found one as nice. So far it is the best I have ever owned. So that’s where I get the Kona part of my name.

The second reason is because I had a cell phone back in ’99 that had the digits 0197 as the last 4 digits in my phone number and I like that number arrangement.

#93 ·
MhzMonster: Megahertz Monster (used on most online forums, and my gamer tag)

Many years ago (back in 2007), I was into building extreme custom computers and a bunch of us who all enjoyed the hobby would have competitions to see who could build the fastest computer by pushing is components way beyond the manufactures limits (overclocking)... without it failing. One of the fastest that I built I named the MHzMonster (4.1GHz air cooled) it held it's spot for quite awhile, but everyone online started referring to me by that name rather than my build.

#97 ·
I was trying to think up some bike related screen name and I'm awful at it, so I just recycled my screen name from Bigblockdart.com over here.
NY since I reside in NY, rr represents my 68 roadrunner and 496 represents the cubic inch displacement of the engine.
Sad part is, I'm so into bikes and wheelbuilding that the car is on the back burner and who knows when it will ever get finished.

#101 ·
20 years ago I used to love watching Juli Furtado tear up the women's XC races on ESPN. A friend of mine saw one of the clips of her climbing in Mt. Snow, Vermont. You could hear her breathing hard on that climb. He referred to her heavy breathing as "freight training".

Since I'm always pretty loud myself when I'm climbing a steep hill, I decided to give myself the username "freighttraininguphill" on cycling forums. Unfortunately, MTBR wouldn't take that many letters when I signed up, so I had to leave off the "ing" part.

Proof of how loud I am while climbing is in this video of a very steep road climb I did with a male riding partner (I'm a female cyclist). We were climbing a hill with a 25% section. He had his GoPro HD Hero on his helmet. I had my ContourHD on mine.

He tried to do the climb in too high of a gear. His cadence slowed down to nothing (I was behind him by that time, as usual), and he stalled out at 2:26. He was doing some pretty good freight training himself, btw.

From 2:26 to 2:56 you can hear me approaching-a full 30 seconds before I'm in camera view! :lol:

Hammerin' Wheels rider climbing Happy Hollow Lane 12-20-12 - YouTube

#103 ·
I believe that I first used my handle for an eBay account around Y2K, when I still lived in Burke. (I now live 15 minutes south, in St. Johnsbury. And yes, we measure distance by time here.) When I first registered for mtbr, I stuck with it, wanting to identify myself with my home trails, which were not yet so well known, but known by those in-the-know, if you know what I mean.

#104 · (Edited)
June Bug was our family dog. A Pekinese/Cocker Spaniel cross, she had limpid brown eyes, a slight underbite and a quizzical look that seemed to convey that she was always on the verge of understanding......something. Sweetest dog ever.

She was pregnant when we got her; as the days ticked by she got larger and larger and finally delivered one giant puppy.

June bugs are brown beetles that come out in force in late spring in the South and in East and Central Texas. It is also a term sometimes applied to precocious & adorable young children (again, Southern usage).

#106 ·
Can't recall if I replied to this thread or not.

Anyhow, names Ray and I've been an avid shooter since I was old enough to hold a firearm. I eventually got into target shooting and bought a 50 Cal (BMG) rifle. Thus, 50Calray.

#110 ·
Multi-purpose, in no particular order:

1. A probabalistic model describing random movement of objects along defined or undefined paths. My avatar is an example. I've used this model to simulate communication performance in mobile networks.

2. I like to hike - anytime, anywhere.

3. Once when riding up a steep fire road, I lost momentum and balance, made an abrupt 90-degree turn to the left, recovered with another one to the right and cleaned the climb. One of my buddies called out "that was random!" or something like that.

#114 ·
When I started kayaking 20 years ago I learned how to get comfortable in a boat by paddling around in the slow water and swamps of NE Ohio. Still know more backwater places than most anybody in this area. Paddled in beaver ponds and drainage ditches. "Swampboy" came from a joke comment by my wife, and has stuck around.

And yes, I did move on to whitewater from swamps eventually - but no one ever called me 'rapidboy'.

Steve Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.