mtbr member
    Aug 2007

what to do with old gary fisher tarpon?

got a old fisher tarpon that i bought while in highschool. the frame is a size MED and to small these days. nothing really wrong with it except the stock rear rim is tacoed. not an issue because i got a spare set of wheels that are rim brake only. i have been thinking of turning it into a road/city/paved path machine by picking up a new frame. so my options are to sell it for 100 bucks or less or pick up a cheap frame and transfer parts. anyone know where i can get a frame for cheap like 50 bucks? thanks

mtbr member
    fleabay, local craigslist/freecycle.org or even one of the local bike shops.
    I've scored some good frames/partial bicycles from all these sources.

I'd find a more correct sized frame & swap parts over.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

banned
    Nov 2007
    got a old fisher tarpon that i bought while in highschool. the frame is a size MED and to small these days. nothing really wrong with it except the stock rear rim is tacoed. not an issue because i got a spare set of wheels that are rim brake only. i have been thinking of turning it into a road/city/paved path machine by picking up a new frame. so my options are to sell it for 100 bucks or less or pick up a cheap frame and transfer parts. anyone know where i can get a frame for cheap like 50 bucks? thanks
    Screw that, just ship it to me and start from scratch, buy a complete bike. Of course you can buy a $50 frame and go through alot of hassle and if your lucky the finished product will be about the same as when u started.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AllKnowing
    Screw that, just ship it to me and start from scratch, buy a complete bike. Of course you can buy a $50 frame and go through alot of hassle and if your lucky the finished product will be about the same as when u started.
    Except the bike would fit, kind of an important little detail. Check out Nashbar's frames, people seem to like them well enough, and I think they fall into your price range. For a few bucks more you could pick up an Access frame from Performance, I think mine was around $130. Probably a little stiff and buzzy for a cruiser though.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by AllKnowing
    Screw that, just ship it to me and start from scratch, buy a complete bike.
    ok, my curiosity has gotten the better of me. just what exactly do you want it for? it meets none of youre requirements to be an awesome bike. for instance...

• it didnt come from a big box store
    • its not a crap brand
    • its not held together with quick steel
    • it doesnt have a sticker on it anywhere that says "not for off road use"
    • it is actually designed to be ridden off road
    • its not going to litter the trail with shrapnel as it disintegrates mid-ride
    • it cost more than $100 new
    • it weighs less than 45 lbs.

this goes against all you stand for. i mean, honestly... why would you want a p.o.s. like that when youve got your "immaculate collection"???
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    is the top tube too short? if so, by how much?

another option (especially appealing if keeping the bike for sentimental reasons appeals to you) is to slap a layback post and longer stem on it.

if your spare wheelset has a shimano hub you could also replace the freehub body with a surly fixxer and slap some slicks or balloons on it for some fun fixie city riding (mtn bikes make great urban fat tyre fixies) in which case a little smaller frame may actually be quite handy.

otherwise, ebay, craigs list, your lbs are great places to scrounge for a frame. lots of people will take their frames to their lbs or let the guys know its for sale. we move a lot of used stuff through our shop like this. ive also found some really good frames in pawn shops. rest of the bike was crap, so i picked it up stupid cheap.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the wheelset came from a cannondale. cannondale cartridge bearing 8/9spd hubs and doublewall rims. not sure how short the top tube is right now because the bike is still at my apt in school. the seat tube isnt a issue but i believe it is 18.5 center to top and 18 center to center. a layback post and stem doesn't seem like a bad idea. i kinda want to try some funky bars that are kindy trendy like an H bar or on one mary maybe.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    the wheelset came from a cannondale. cannondale cartridge bearing 8/9spd hubs and doublewall rims. not sure how short the top tube is right now because the bike is still at my apt in school. the seat tube isnt a issue but i believe it is 18.5 center to top and 18 center to center. a layback post and stem doesn't seem like a bad idea. i kinda want to try some funky bars that are kindy trendy like an H bar or on one mary maybe.
    well then, the fixxer is out.

the origin space bar is virtually identical to the mary, but only 25 bucks. i use them on a couple of fixies i have and enjoy them.

the titec h bar is also an excellent bar, and works very, very well; esp. on fixies.

both are great townie bars.