View Poll Results: What to do?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take some of the nice parts off of the Stumpy and put them on the Marin and sell the rest?

1 7.69%
  • Just sell the stumpy as it is built now and ride the Marin as is?

0 0%
  • Keep them both as they are and ride them both?

8 61.54%
  • Put the nicer parts on the Marin and put the lesser parts on the Stumpy and ride them both?

2 15.38%
  • Other

2 15.38%
    mtbr member

What to do with my 2 bikes

Hey Fellas,

I have a problem, but I suppose it is a good problem to have.

I recently picked up a 2007 Marin Mount Vision FS to add to my stable. My previous bike was built from the frame up by myself over the winter a couple years ago. It is a 2007 Specialized Stumpy Hardtail. Recently, I have been riding more technical trails where a FS will come in quite handy.

So here is my problem, I cant ride 2 bikes at the same time... and both are very similar in spec and purpose. I see myself riding the Marin much more often than the Stumpy but maybe would race the Stumpy in some of the night XC races out here.

Do I :
    1) Take some of the nice parts off of the Stumpy and put them on the Marin and sell the rest?
    2) Just sell the stumpy as it is built now and ride the Marin as is?
    3) Keep them both as they are and ride them both?
    4) Put the nicer parts on the Marin and put the lesser parts on the Stumpy and ride them both?
    5) Other

Here is the Part list:
    1) Marin- Only upgrades are Selle Italia Carbonio seat and Nobby Nic Evo tires
    BikePedia - 2007 Marin Mount Vision Complete Bicycle
    2) Stumpy -
    2007 Stumpjumper Comp Frame
    Revelation Fork 100-130mm Travel, Remote Lockout
    Thomson Elite Stem
    Easton Carbon CNT handlebar
    ODI lockon Grips
    XT Shifters
    XTR Hydro Brakes
    XTR Centerlock rotors
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    XT Rims and Hubs
    Panaracer Fire XC tires
    XT FD
    XT RD
    SLX Cassette
    Truvativ FireX Crankset
    Specialized Phenom Ti Saddle

-Moe

mtbr member
    Pics
    What to do with my 2 bikes-img_20130511_140542.jpgWhat to do with my 2 bikes-img_20130510_155747.jpgWhat to do with my 2 bikes-img_20130403_181744.jpg

mtbr member
    I should probably add that the reason I am asking is my wife thinks its silly to have 2 well built XC bikes. I didn't think of it like that until she said it.

mtbr member
    Lol! There is no good answer when 2 bikes are awesome but overlap in usage/situation. How do YOU feel about it? Why did your wife ask? Is it about space, money, time, etc? Or is she just genuinely curious if you need both(then set out to justify).

I'm sure she has a "thing", something frivolous and hobby-ish that she enjoys, the same could be asked of her(or did you and this is where it led ya....oooops!) like shoes or purses or jewelry or clothing or whatever....

Unless YOU think it is silly or frivolous or not getting used, then I think you get rid of it. But I don't think anybody has the right to make that call for you.
    BTW.... The hubs and I just went through something similar(me like bikes though, he not biker) when I wanted to get a cargo bike. It does ride very similar to my small errand CX bike and he expressed his concern about space and necessity. So in a round about way, he implied that either I just use the errand bike to haul 200lbs of groceries OR just use my van to continue to do groceries and keep the CX bike/not buy the cargo bike OR get the cargo bike and sell the errand bike. I explained my position, he explained his. And we compromised on a cheaper entry level cargo bike and I kept my CX bike. I am not an unreasonable person....but I do have plans eventually to swap parts on a nicer cargo frame.

So basically, what is THE issue at hand REALLY? And how much is compromise-able? And are the cards played fair, as in does she have a hobby that is equally supported and encouraged?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: What to do with my 2 bikes

Keep both for a bit alternating between them. Then keep the I've you ride more. Transplant you favorite parts, then sell the bike. Save that money for later I've you're bike becomes outdated

AZ
    banned
    No option for "keep both get rid of wife".

mtbr member
    Nakedbabytoes,

Money is not the issue because I sold my road bike to cover most of the cost of the Marin.

I love the stumpy because I built it myself by scouring the internet to find deals, so its hard for me to let go of.

I think the main reason is contentment. Why am I not content with my bikes? She has a good point on that one. I have been riding for almost 4 years now and this is my 8th bike that I have bought in that amount of time. I have made a profit off of almost all of them, sometimes a significant amount.

She understands that it is my favorite hobby and we love riding together (I bought her a Myka Elite). When we ride together I don't take her on the most difficult trails in the area though.

For me, I mostly have time constraints... Wife, Work, ministry, house, friends are a good portion of my time. I don't get to ride enough as is. I was thinking since I sold my Road bike I could use the Stumpy for my commute. Do some urban riding on sidewalk, bridges, etc would be much more fun to me than 700c riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Keep both for a bit alternating between them. Then keep the I've you ride more. Transplant you favorite parts, then sell the bike. Save that money for later I've you're bike becomes outdated
    This is sort of the way I was leaning.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Move the better parts to the Marin and the lesser parts on the Stumpy. Make the Stumpy a urban bike with good road tires and use the Marin as your XC riding ;-)

mtbr member
    I get the time thing totally, part of me getting the cargo bike was to try to get more riding in each week. I work from home so I can't commute and I do homedaycare, so my work hours and week are longer(55-60 hours) than most people to accommodate schedules of parent needs. So yes, one person can only ride so much each week.

I dunno if I would call it lack of "contentment" that you have switched out bikes so often, it might be that you are just finding out what works for you and what doesn't. I switched out several bikes over this last year because of one factor or another. I think I have my stable down to the right 3 bikes and one unicycle now but never say never(n+1 exists for a reason!)

Yes, if money isn't an issue and it isn't causing problems, then just ride and wait and see. I think you'll make the right call when you know, you'll know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Lol. If only she wasn't my favorite riding partner. Also, her high paying job helps support my awesome hobbies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    Move the better parts to the Marin and the lesser parts on the Stumpy. Make the Stumpy a urban bike with good road tires and use the Marin as your XC riding ;-)
    + 1
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    i'll subscribe to this!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    I dunno if I would call it lack of "contentment" that you have switched out bikes so often, it might be that you are just finding out what works for you and what doesn't.
    I think that might be where I am at. I have had such a variety and I think I am still finding my niche.
    1 light trail xc bike (hardrock)
    1 Single speed steel rigid (S.A.S.S)
    1 flatbar road bike
    1 race road bike
    1 All mountain FS (Enduro Expert)
    1 XC FS (Fantom Elite DS)
    1 race xc bike (Stumpjuper)
    and now I have the Marin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Buy another bike to go with the 2 bikes you already have. That's what you do with them.

mtbr member
    Keep both and enjoy them. I have two bikes and more than once I have felt so relieved that when one is down I can keep riding. Plus if anything just o
    Use one as a loaner bike once in a while and take friends and family out with you.

Pedal Damn it!
    I wish I had two bikes so that I could share your problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    Keep both and enjoy them. I have two bikes and more than once I have felt so relieved that when one is down I can keep riding. Plus if anything just o
    Use one as a loaner bike once in a while and take friends and family out with you.
    I like this idea. It really is a great way to get people in to the sport.