Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What an Arse!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

What an Arse!!!

As you may have seen a few weeks ago I introduced myself as a new guy, because I am. I bought me a bike a couple of weeks ago, but I am still not able to get my bike out on the trail as I am still in a boot letting my broken ankle heal from a motorcycle accident. I went out today to a local park with a good trail that I've been researching to get a look at it. I was walking in the parking area, not on a single track mind you, and 2 guys on mountain bikes came by me and yell "look out fat guy." Mind you I am not a small guy, I'm 300 pounds, and I know it. As they rode away I heard them say "I hate when fat people get in our way." I am getting into biking for both weight loss and the adrenaline rush that I am looking to replace as I am no longer riding motorcycles (wife's orders). My question, especially after reading another post where someone was bragging they did not help a road cyclist, is this the attitude from the majority? I expect a few, as in all things some people are just arses, but hopefully these folks are few and far between. Thanks for reading my rant, I'll jump off my soap box, I have a report I need to turn in before 5pm..lol.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's not the norm ,but there are jerks everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would say the minority. But fat people strike a lot of folks pet peeves today so I can understand it. Obesity is making our health care costs skyrocket. I also hate when some fat slob hogs up a grocery isle or two big sows walking shoulder to shoulder take up 5 feet of trail width. I think you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Don't let it discourage you though, get on your bike asap and watch those pounds melt away. You'll look and feel much better afterwards. I commend you for wanting to change your life in a positive manner. If your in GA I'll ride with your fat butt any day! We can be the Laurel and Hardy of the mountain!

mtbr member
    That's so NOT the norm with the mtb community, that it's hard to believe it actually happened. The mtb community is comically cordial. I don't think I've ever passed a stopped rider on the trail and not yelled "All good?!" - same the other direction, e.g. when I'm on the side of the trail.

I've heard the following comments at the front of Cat-2 races...
    - "Hey guys! Wait up!"
    - "Come on... it's not a race"
    - "Sweet socks"
    - "GO! GO! GO! - from a female pro whom I had just passed (I'm a dude, she was LAST in her field and still that fired up!)
    - This list could go on and on...

The point - you may have already met the 1% - the insignificant number of douchebags who call themselves mountain bikers. The good news is, you got that out of the way!

Enjoy the ride! I hope I see you out on the trail.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Those guys aren't mtbers..... they're *****, and probably talk a lot about "wheel" size too I imagine. The behavior gives me the impression they're young and dumb, ruining it for other courteous and thoughtful youth. Don't listen to them, they're taunting and hopeful for rabbit ears to instigate another to anger in an effort to prove to themselves they matter. Just put the wheels to the ground, the foot to the pedal, and roll away on your own adventure.
    No fuss with the MUSS

EMBA Member
    I find the mountain bike community to be a good group, but as in all groups, there are always a couple douchebags. Probably a couple disguised roadies looking for some graded forest roads to ride on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    I find the mountain bike community to be a good group, but as in all groups, there are always a couple douchebags. Probably a couple disguised roadies looking for some graded forest roads to ride on.
    Roadies are only uptight on the road. Roadies who ride the trail are very different... see my signature below... and yeah, you're slow ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks everyone, that's what I assumed, as I said in my post I know arses are everywhere and you will run into some in anything you do. Glad to know they are the minority. Can't wait to get on the trails, tired of sitting on my bike in the garage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Roadies who ride the trail are very different... see my signature below... and yeah, you're slow ;-)
    Only uphill....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Start out with some easy trails so you don't get discouraged and work yourself up from there. Mtnbiking is a great way to loose weight and have fun.

By next year you may be racing

Oh....don't worry about people who judge, it's just bad gene pool.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Strav*******s, most likely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Strav*******s, most likely.
    Strava gets a really bad wrap... I use it all the time. Couldn't care less about the KOM's, but it's nice to record my rides and give myself goals for upcoming rides.

To the OP- I'm a 300lber too. Those dudes can Suck it!
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    Strava gets a really bad wrap... I use it all the time. Couldn't care less about the KOM's, but it's nice to record my rides and give myself goals for upcoming rides.

Oh, I use it too, but I see people trying to get a KOM or PR or something and causing headaches for other trail users.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Ohhh, I thought there were gonna be pics of an arse. Oops. Anyway there are a$$holes in every group. Mountain biking is normally much better than that.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Big Mac

What an Arse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post

It gets a bad wrap because so many of it's users are straight up puscuits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Only uphill....
    Well, I'm kinda slow on the downhills... But in my defense, I've only been mountain biking 26 years. So, give me time. (seriously, it pisses me off how slow I am on descents)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Well, I'm kinda slow on the downhills... But in my defense, I've only been mountain biking 26 years. So, give me time. (seriously, it pisses me off how slow I am on descents)
    No brakes.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Don't worry about those Jack wagons. Get out and ride.

official eMpTyBRain
    That's shocking and not at all a representation of what mountain bikers are like. Sorry to hear that happened to you. If I was there with you at that time, they'd get a mouthful (or more) right back at them.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm curious where this happened, but yeah, not the norm. Most of us are happy to see anyone out doing something physical, including hiking.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

official eMpTyBRain
    When I'm out on the dirt or about to depart from a parking area or arriving from a ride, I'm in a GREAT MOOD. This is an important escape from reality for me so it both physical and mental medicine packed into one.

I just can't see why anyone would have bad things to say unless they were miserable lifeforms searching for happiness but never finding it, always outcasts, worthless lumps of life...

Am I getting carried away here?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Don't let it get to you.

The other day I was riding solo, and decided to try the whole intermediate trail at Stillwell woods. I'm not in the best shape but I'm trying really hard to change that.

Well there are some hills that I haven't been able to complete, but this day I was determined. The first hill, which is the longest one that I couldn't make, I see a biker pretty far up ahead, but I put my head down and grind up this hill. I make it to the top and I'm winded but happy. The next few hills all go the same, clean everyone, but man I'm tired.

At the last sandy hill, I have me eyes down, I'm tired as hell, sound like I'm having an asthma attack, but I make it! Right before the crest I see the rider I saw earlier smiling giving me the thumbs up and he says "great job"

It was one of the nicest things I've heard on the trail. I thanked him and we went separate directions, but I'll remember that for a long time.

You'll meet plenty of great people out there, don't think that those idiots are all of us bc they are not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    How ironic. If you were part of this "good group" you wouldn't make such blanketed statements towards Roadies.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    How ironic. If you were part of this "good group" you wouldn't make such blanketed statements towards Roadies.
    What, there's something wrong with riding graded dirt roads? Don't feel bad if that's your thing. No one is judging.

mtbr member
    Everyone likes to talk about how cool and respectful mountain bikers are...but yet in the same thread here they are acting like douchebags ragging on roadies. Mountain bikers seem to be the ones with the attitudes and have the constant need to trash others that don't ride bikes like they do. Funny thing is...go to a roadie forum where all the "a-holes" supposedly hang, you almost never see a post started with the sole purpose of talking sht about mountain bikers. Here, roadie trashing threads pop up weekly.

So yeah, I'm not surprised it happened. I find that mountain bikers are often a younger crowd and as such, there tend to be a lot of disrespectful punks out on bikes and on the trails. Next time a stick through the spokes will shut them up. Get out there and ride and don't worry about what the douchebags say. Congrats on making the jump to better your health and get down to a healthy weight. Been there done (still doing) that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast