Thread: What an Arse!!!

Brackish

Re: What an Arse!!!

I had a guy pass me on a road climb by saying, "on your left, big guy."

Thanks, dick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
    that wouldn't have bothered me, unless it had a condescending tone... I fit that description. In fact, with the right vocal inflection, I would take it as friendly acknowledgement and encouragement, in an athlete-speak kind of way.

now, "on your left, fatass".... not cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post

Thanks, dick.
    Granted, when passing one need not include adjectives, but this is pretty tame. It's like saying dude or buddy. Do you ride a 29er? Maybe he was referring to your ability to ride those big wheels?
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'd rather be called "Big Guy" than Dude any day. Seriously, Dude? Do I look like one of those valley dwelling worms in the lineup at Manhattan Beach?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I grew up surfing, and the modern version of the sport started out great (in the 40s, 50s and early 60s) with people sharing waves, laughing, giving each other thumbs up, etc. But those first three decades were before I was born.

I was born in 68, the very year of the shortboard revolution, and everything changed.

Shortboarding is high performance, and more of the wave is used for big, sweeping turns and such, so there really isn't room for two or three surfers to really stretch out, so to speak, on each wave. That's when the "my wave" and "locals only" period began.

Throughout the 70s, 80s, and most of the 90s it became a very immature culture, so much so that Jeff Spicoli became the stereotype, and it wasn't that far from the truth. And in the competitive world it was bickering and backbiting (mostly because they were competing for peanuts and really had to fight their way into the sport). People weren't very nice. It was so bad that even the Hollywood movies that tried to get away from the stereotypes couldn't escape them, and the films show us for what we were: immature.

Fast forward to the very end of the 90s and something strange happened: Longboarding made a comeback (obviously it never really went away, but it was considered uncool for 25 years by a huge segment of the surfing population), and as the 2000s came in people started to embrace the philosophy of "ride what makes you happy."

And it stuck. Now the industry produces many different types of boards: long, short, fish, mini-longboards, bodyboards, and more. Everything is cool. Also, when more women participated it calmed things down and taught the guys to grow up a little.

But there are still a few kooks out there.

A kook is not a beginning surfer. That's what a beginner used to be called. Now a beginner is called a beginner.

The newest definition of "kook" is someone who is socially bankrupt out in the water.

Those two guys who called you fat, no matter how good they are on the trails, are still kooks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    I'd rather be called "Big Guy" than Dude any day. Seriously, Dude? Do I look like one of those valley dwelling worms in the lineup at Manhattan Beach?
    I have no idea what you look like.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I forgot to mention: the opposite of kook is aloha. Someone with Aloha is always kind and respectful to others, regardless of what they ride or how they ride. Kooks are insecure.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
    I just hooked up a lifelong friend with a bike. He is around 300. We start riding next week. Keep this quote in mind (came from this forum, can't remember who):

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    I always remember that quote on a big climb...couldn't remember who said it but thanks tiretracks for reminding.

I didn't do it
    I agree that "big guy" ain't the worst thing somebody can say and in the correct context it can be meant to be complimentary or neutral. However I've always considered it to be somewhat of a subtle put down. I usually see it used by the person with the dominant personality to address the lesser one.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3