Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What an Arse!!!

mtbr member
    How To Be A Mountain Biker - YouTube
    As a mountain biker, it is only acceptable to be a dick about beer, coffee, and wheel size. All other dickishness should be punished.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Everyone likes to talk about how cool and respectful mountain bikers are...but yet in the same thread here they are acting like douchebags ragging on roadies. Mountain bikers seem to be the ones with the attitudes and have the constant need to trash others that don't ride bikes like they do. Funny thing is...go to a roadie forum where all the "a-holes" supposedly hang, you almost never see a post started with the sole purpose of talking sht about mountain bikers. Here, roadie trashing threads pop up weekly.

So yeah, I'm not surprised it happened. I find that mountain bikers are often a younger crowd and as such, there tend to be a lot of disrespectful punks out on bikes and on the trails. Next time a stick through the spokes will shut them up. Get out there and ride and don't worry about what the douchebags say. Congrats on making the jump to better your health and get down to a healthy weight. Been there done (still doing) that.
    I agree with you on several, most points, but... Roadies - pure, non-dirt-riding roadies can be an uptight breed. I average 4,500 miles a year on the road. I ride in lots of groups, races, etc. Yes, they can be douchey, uptight, etc. They've earned that rep'.

Threads on roadie forums very often devolve into arguments, name calling etc. But - to your point - it is rare that you'll see any mountain-biker-bashing. Most references to mountain biking are positive, e.g. good interval training, good winter training, a break from the monotony of the road, another way to enjoy the sport, etc. And - to your point - the roadie bashing is surprisingly common in the mountain biker forums. I suspect you're right about the age thing being a culprit.

NOTE: The uptight roadie thing is so well-known, that it's come up as a topic, e.g. "why are we such an uptight bunch?". Some of the reasons are actually pretty logical and rational...
    - The stakes are higher. Crashing at 25 mph on pavement hurts. It really really sucks. Riding beside, behind, in front of someone who's a bit skittish, squirrelly cannot go unchecked. Not holding ones line, over-braking in response to the compression of the line, coming in tight on turns, half-wheeling... the list goes on on and on. The harder the effort, the more on edge the rider is.
    - The sport is primarily judged by how fast one is. Not style. It's simply a game of suffering and the reward for that suffering. And, because road riding is often a pack sport (races, group rides, etc.), every ride is an opportunity to show how fast you are. Yeah, it's an organized pissing match.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    When I was heavier, over 350, I experienced similiar things. Hell, even is this thread the third poster shows his own hatred and insecurity about overweight people. Terms like "hogs" and "sows" say more about him than anything else. As many have already said, there are jerks in every group. Don't listen to them, get out and ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    What, there's something wrong with riding graded dirt roads? Don't feel bad if that's your thing. No one is judging.
    By trying to insult me, you're showing your true colors.

Admittedly, Roadies can be d!cks, but you will rarely hear or read about roadies insulting MTBers WRT lack of skill, clothes, even sexual preference.

I Love MTBR, but anytime roadies are brought up, apparently they (we) are gheys in spandex, looking for groomed trails.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I agree with you on several, most points, but... Roadies - pure, non-dirt-riding roadies can be an uptight breed. I average 4,500 miles a year on the road. I ride in lots of groups, races, etc. Yes, they can be douchey, uptight, etc. They've earned that rep'.

Threads on roadie forums very often devolve into arguments, name calling etc. But - to your point - it is rare that you'll see any mountain-biker-bashing. Most references to mountain biking are positive, e.g. good interval training, good winter training, a break from the monotony of the road, another way to enjoy the sport, etc. And - to your point - the roadie bashing is surprisingly common in the mountain biker forums. I suspect you're right about the age thing being a culprit.

NOTE: The uptight roadie thing is so well-known, that it's come up as a topic, e.g. "why are we such an uptight bunch?". Some of the reasons are actually pretty logical and rational...
    - The stakes are higher. Crashing at 25 mph on pavement hurts. It really really sucks. Riding beside, behind, in front of someone who's a bit skittish, squirrelly cannot go unchecked. Not holding ones line, over-braking in response to the compression of the line, coming in tight on turns, half-wheeling... the list goes on on and on. The harder the effort, the more on edge the rider is.
    - The sport is primarily judged by how fast one is. Not style. It's simply a game of suffering and the reward for that suffering. And, because road riding is often a pack sport (races, group rides, etc.), every ride is an opportunity to show how fast you are. Yeah, it's an organized pissing match.
    I ride mostly road out of convenience. I ride with a lot of other people. I find that people that ride the road only are just as nice and cool as people that ride only dirt and of course there's roadies out there that are a-holes...just like this thread and this site proves there's a LOT of folks on the dirt that are straight up douchebags. Only difference, mountain bikers are insecure and immature and feel the need to bash and talk sht about others to make themselves feel better. Or maybe the roadie hate just comes from those that can't hack it on the pavement...I don't know...but it's a pretty old song and dance that needs to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

EMBA Member
    You guys need to stop taking yourselves so seriously.

mtbr member
    No, what needs to stop is the pointless bashing. It only makes you (and the others that do it) look like the as$holes that you are trying to make others out to be. Kinda funny how that works but it gets old fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    No, what needs to stop is the pointless bashing. It only makes you (and the others that do it) look like the as$holes that you are trying to make others out to be. Kinda funny how that works but it gets old fast.
    I agree with Nubster. It gets really old really quick dealing with the juvenile attitudes and postings some people do on this message board. Enough already, grow up.

I know that statement is going to fall on some deaf ears, as there are many who enjoy being jerks on a message board because they think they have anonymity and a captive audience....

What an Arse!!!-dwad-theory.jpg

Seriously, I'm not condoning violence, but I do expect if you acted the same way in reality that you act here you would get your ass kicked.

To the OP, regarding what happened to you at that park: stay with it man. Don't worry about the jerks and what they say. They are just trying to build themselves up by knocking other people down...cant stand on their own character, as they have none. Props to you for your intent to ride for fun and health.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

EMBA Member
    You guys are wayyy out there on this one. It was a single sentence that in reality is nothing more than a tongue in cheek dig at roadies, not some major, scathing, anti-roadie rant. Get some perspective. Why so sensitive?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    You guys are wayyy out there on this one. It was a single sentence that in reality is nothing more than a tongue in cheek dig at roadies, not some major, scathing, anti-roadie rant. Get some perspective. Why so sensitive?
    You're the odd man out on this one. Disrespect, even "tongue in cheek" is not called for. Then to defend it shows any lack of sincerity imo. To use your own words, why so sensitive?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Double post

mtbr member
    Carry a tampon in your pocket. If it happens again yell at them " Hey man. You dropped something!" When they turn around and ride back to you hand it to them with a big grin on your face.

No they are not typical MTB`s. I greet everyone I see on the trail. I say thanks when they let me by and scoot over or stop to let them by. Its simple trail etiquette.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just hooked up a lifelong friend with a bike. He is around 300. We start riding next week. Keep this quote in mind (came from this forum, can't remember who):

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
    I just hooked up a lifelong friend with a bike. He is around 300. We start riding next week. Keep this quote in mind (came from this forum, can't remember who): "It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
    Fixed

mtbr member
    Holy hell. No it doesn't happen, sounds like a teenage response to me.

Re roadies - guys get your **** together, antipathy towards roadies has always been tongue in cheek for mtbers . It's getting more serious, because some people just don't get sarcasm - get a sense of humour and stop taking everything at face value!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When I started mtb with a buddy we were the fat guys. We always used being overweight and out if shape as ways to motivate each other in the special way that men can... We talked a lot of Shlt to each other at all times during the ride. Every joke was a victory for us.

These guys were dlcks though. Oh well. It's life and not everyone is worth knowing.

Use it as motivation to stoke the weight loss fires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ignore stupid, it's pointless. they most often travel in groups.
    i'm not sure what to put here...

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Isn't this the truth? I work at a shop that hosts organized group rides that typically attract 200+ and occasionally more than 300. Minimum of 5 different groups. Frequently larger groups will split to avoid clogging the road. Everything from 30+mph avg to 13mph avg. I can't tell you how many times riders get seriously injured due to someone being an idiot. A couple weeks ago, a bunch of riders went down in a pile because someone fired a shotgun at something else (target? nobody knows) on a nearby farm and spooked them. One of the guys suffered several broken bones, and he was a rider well known for stopping to render assistance to other riders for flats, wrecks, etc.

But yeah, I hear lots of stories about people who were being dumb and someone yelled at them to get them back in line.

The competitive groups are not for me. Sometimes I'll go on the slower paced rides on my steel commuter, though. Those folks want to ride in a loose group, but not so much in a peloton.

mtbr member
    Hi, I remember your introduction post and you being from Killeen. Just out of curiosity which trail system did this occur at? The mountain biking community is made up of people and unfortunately as we all know some people can be real douches. If someone who is a douche starts mountain biking they won't stop being a douche. Usually. Anyway, I'm really sad to hear one of your first times out happened like that. I assure you the people in that meetup I posted to you would never treat you that way if you are needing any reassurance or a motivation boost. Keep at it! I personally have never ran into extreme rudeness like that but on the occasion you'll get the person who ignores you or is smug at the trail head, but f*ck em.

To clarify, I reread your post and see you actually weren't riding yet. Well man as an offer of solace to prove not all MTBers are bad people once you get better PM me and I can give you a nice beginners tour of Dana Peak. Maybe knock out a couple miles till you call it quits, so let me know.

mtbr member
    To heck with them.

Here this should make you feel better:
    On my morning walk this morning in the rain. It was raining pretty good, (for MTB content: I was testing a new to me Cannondale jacket). A guy in a white pick-up totally got into the gutter to splash me. LOL

There wasn't anyone coming, he got right into the gutter and threw a sheet of water all over my left side.

How's the old song go? "It's sad but true most people are *****!"

Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Hi, I remember your introduction post and you being from Killeen. Just out of curiosity which trail system did this occur at? The mountain biking community is made up of people and unfortunately as we all know some people can be real douches. If someone who is a douche starts mountain biking they won't stop being a douche. Usually. Anyway, I'm really sad to hear one of your first times out happened like that. I assure you the people in that meetup I posted to you would never treat you that way if you are needing any reassurance or a motivation boost. Keep at it! I personally have never ran into extreme rudeness like that but on the occasion you'll get the person who ignores you or is smug at the trail head, but f*ck em.

To clarify, I reread your post and see you actually weren't riding yet. Well man as an offer of solace to prove not all MTBers are bad people once you get better PM me and I can give you a nice beginners tour of Dana Peak. Maybe knock out a couple miles till you call it quits, so let me know.
    Oddly enough it was at Dana Peak. I will definitely hit you up once I'm up and going. I get my boot off Tuesday so I plan some light riding Thursday or Friday of next week. Mainly just testing my ankle out.

High Desert MTBer
    Whew! I started reading this thinking the obvious, and then got sucked into the plummet from obesity to roadie hate to pick-up rage to... what? What's next?!? Rolling coal???

Good on you OP, have at it, forget the hate and ride off the extra pounds. You will be much better for a great ride in the outdoors anyway, and if anyone else has anything to 'say' to you, smile and ride on...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Damned Obama!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Whew! I started reading this thinking the obvious, and then got sucked into the plummet from obesity to roadie hate to pick-up rage to... what? What's next?!? Rolling coal???

Good on you OP, have at it, forget the hate and ride off the extra pounds. You will be much better for a great ride in the outdoors anyway, and if anyone else has anything to 'say' to you, smile and ride on...
    In hind-sight, it IS pretty funny (and silly) how threads get derailed.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    It's not the bike you ride, it's how you act that counts.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast