Wolf nipple chips

What is the allure of pink? (I'm talking about pink colored bike stuff...)

So a few years back I started noticing once and a while, riders with something pink on their bikes. I thought to myself, "hmmm... cool; a subtle way of standing out and making a statement." Now it seems to be the "hip" thing to do, kind of like rolling up your right leg of your jeans, donning a messenger bag, and riding a track bike to work with your thick-rimmed eyeglasses and vintage cycling cap without a helmet. Much like the fixed gear craze, it almost seems like you have to have a pink frame or pink hubs or a pink wheelset or something in order to make sure you are different. the only problem is that everyone seems to have a pink somewhere in their cycling "kit" these days. It's everywhere. What is the allure at this point? There certainly isn't a statement to be made anymore, as the originality is gone. Thoughts, anyone?

(before anyone gets all pissy and defensive, this is NOT an attack on anyone, just a frigging observation.)

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well it used to be the look who i am thing--now its the i gotta be cool too thing. obnoxious cr%p behavior.

mtbr member
    King has done pink for breast cancer research, could have something to do with it now too.

Adobo Lover
    For me, its support of the fight against breast cancer. From what I've seen, Chris King's pink parts and I think Jagwire's pink housing are the companies that are donating money to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Wolf nipple chips
    i'm all for supporting the fight against breast cancer. it's a horrible disease that I hope can be cured some day. The majority of the pink I see out there isn't as such though - frames and tires and rims. ug. quit painting your frames pink. unless it is a pink/brown scheme - then it is hilarious.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    My understanding outside of Breast Cancer awareness is, if you ride a pink bike you're a bad a$$ biker. If you ride a pink bike and you are not a bad a$$ biker, then you are merely a poser. My understanding of it, and No, I don't ride a pink bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    So a few years back I started noticing once and a while, riders with something pink on their bikes. I thought to myself, "hmmm... cool; a subtle way of standing out and making a statement." Now it seems to be the "hip" thing to do, kind of like rolling up your right leg of your jeans, donning a messenger bag, and riding a track bike to work with your thick-rimmed eyeglasses and vintage cycling cap without a helmet. Much like the fixed gear craze, it almost seems like you have to have a pink frame or pink hubs or a pink wheelset or something in order to make sure you are different. the only problem is that everyone seems to have a pink somewhere in their cycling "kit" these days. It's everywhere. What is the allure at this point? There certainly isn't a statement to be made anymore, as the originality is gone. Thoughts, anyone?

(before anyone gets all pissy and defensive, this is NOT an attack on anyone, just a frigging observation.)

The bike industry is a huge trend machine. Trends can last a long or short time. But they are still only a trend. Look at single speeding. 29" wheels. Fixed gear. All trends. They WERE something unique until everyone else did the same thing. Now it's business as usual. On to the next trend.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Pink was IN style in the 80s... this is just trends repeating. Hell annodized purple is in style again for urban/jump bike parts.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    I have pink crimpies on my bikes. That's all the pink I need. I'm not man enough for any more, or somthing like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How about y'all ride your bikes and don't give a $^*T about what the others guys ride, do, wear, or say? If they want to have a pink bike, who gives a flying F#$@. Todays latests trend is to be so out that you are in. Be yourself, ride lots, and get some sleep in on the weekends. No much more to it.

PS: i have a pink headset.....i like boobs too much to see anyone lose theirs.

mtbr member
    May 2004

some trends you forgot

you didn't mention the disc brake trend, suspension trend, clipless pedal trend, tubeless trend, derailleur trend, hydration pack trend, and of course the whole mtb trend. none of which were around when I started riding my BMX on a few trails.

mtbr member

I'll admit it, I think its cool

there, I said it.

Its still rare enough (to me) that it would be a big deal. No one I know has/would think of having a pink bike or pink components.

Richard Gasperotti (Gaspi) had a completely pink Banshee (frame, fork, rims), he was NOTICED wherever he was riding. Berrecloth, same thing. Of course people are going to imitate that, but so what?

I want the pink 07 Kona Stinky Primo with the pink 888 that comes stock on the IH Sunday expert. THAT would be something to see...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    there, I said it.

Its still rare enough (to me) that it would be a big deal. No one I know has/would think of having a pink bike or pink components.

Richard Gasperotti (Gaspi) had a completely pink Banshee (frame, fork, rims), he was NOTICED wherever he was riding. Berrecloth, same thing. Of course people are going to imitate that, but so what?

I want the pink 07 Kona Stinky Primo with the pink 888 that comes stock on the IH Sunday expert. THAT would be something to see...
    Yeah, but they're completly different shades of pink. I'm too not sure that would look even OK.

Weird huh?

Actually...

Pink on your bike (any amount) means that you're a flaming homosexual. You can look it up.

I've got lots of it. I didn't know about the pink Jagwires however. I'll have to look into that.

Cmdr 'secure in my pinkliness' Piffle
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

Perhaps unretired now

Big Pink...

...is the name of my '88 custom Ibis. Yes, it's pink. I had an '85 Team Stumpjumper, which only came in pink that year, and *****ed about the color the entire time I owned it. Back then black was cool. Battleship gray was cool. Even camo was cool. I had a pink bike. But when Wes called me up to ask me what color I wanted them to paint my new Ibis, I said, "Pink." Not sure what came over me, but I think it's so I can ask silly questions like, "What do I have between my legs that's big and pink and gives me endless hours of pleasure?" Or maybe I just like the funny looks I still get. Pink is the anchovie of colors. You're either into it or not. There is no middle ground.
    The older I get, the better I was.