mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Wellgo MG-1 / Truvativ Crank arm issues

Hi all,

I upgraded the pedals on my Bike's Direct Gravity G29 SS with Wellgo MG-1. The right pedal went in fine, the left kinda got stuck half way (using fingers) and I used a tool (not too forcefuly) to get it all the way in.

Sure enough the pedal fell off after a few rides as I was riding and the crank arm was totally stripped.

So I got a new crank arm but the pedal is getting stuck halfway again when threading it with my fingers. Is this definitely a nono? The threading on the pedal looks totally fine (its steel and arm is alu, so I don't think its damaged). My original cheap VP pedal threads in all the way to the new crankarm.

Is the pedal no good? Don't wanna strip the new arm.

Thanks all
    TManiac

mtbr member
    Pedal and crankarm threads are not always clean enough for me to thread them in all the way in by hand but it should take little effort with a wrench. I realize this may be silly to ask, like a tech guy asking if your computer is plugged in, but you are aware that the left pedal is left hand threads aren't you? In other words, lefty tighty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Pedal and crankarm threads are not always clean enough for me to thread them in all the way in by hand but it should take little effort with a wrench. I realize this may be silly to ask, like a tech guy asking if your computer is plugged in, but you are aware that the left pedal is left hand threads aren't you? In other words, lefty tighty.
    Totally fair question, but yes I am well aware.

I'll give it another shot this weekend and will try cleaning before hand an coaxing it with the tool.

Thanks
    TMANIAC

mtbr member
    May 2011
    try the pedals in another crank and the cranks with other pedals. It sounds like the pedal is off. Have you visually inspected the threads? Pedal taps are common at bike shops, but dies are less so, but that maybe what you need. If you force it, you're increasing the likelihood of future problems, force is not the way to fix this, especially since force already cost you one crank arm. LBS might be the best option here, but be prepared for glares when you bring in a bd bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    try the pedals in another crank and the cranks with other pedals. It sounds like the pedal is off. Have you visually inspected the threads? Pedal taps are common at bike shops, but dies are less so, but that maybe what you need. If you force it, you're increasing the likelihood of future problems, force is not the way to fix this, especially since force already cost you one crank arm. LBS might be the best option here, but be prepared for glares when you bring in a bd bike
    Good advice PG.

The threads look 100% fine to me, but I'm not an expert. I will try the pedal in my hybrid.

Fortunately the crank arm is not yet on the bike so I'll just tell them its a Cannondale or something. Haha.

Thanks
    TManiac

Gotta pay to play
    I had this combo of cranks/pedal on my old bike and it worked fine. I was able to thread the pedals in by hand 90% of the way and then had to use a wrench for the rest of the time.

mtbr member
    Sounds like if you want to save that crank arm your best bet is to head over to lbs. Those aluminum cranks are much softer than the pedals so my first guess would be the pedals are ok but stranger things have happened. If the crank's threads aren't complete toast, a tap in the hands of someone with experience can chase them back into shape.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got a brand new arm so the threads should be fine. I will go to the LBS if the pedal doesn't fit my hybrid/gets stuck and requires force.

Thanks
    TMANIAC