Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

WD-40 offically entering chain lube market

Remeber the good old days when we use too bash loosers that used WD-40 to lubricate their bicycle chains? Well sadly those days are gone now as WD-40 is bringing out a line of chain lubes.

I4NI
    Still got a bucket of 3-n-1 oil sonny
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Wholly crap batman.
    2016 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    These are actual chain lubes and NOT the stuff in the tall blue and yellow can. There was already a thread on this.

I like turtles
    They sell it at Lowes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Has anyone tried it, and is it
    any good?

High Desert MTBer
    Urgh...
    It's all Here. Now.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    What next? A chain lube from KY?

"With KY Cycling Sensations, put the red tube on your cassete, the blue tube on you chain, and feel an erotic sensation as they blend together."

AZ
    banned
    Astroglide.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    These are actual chain lubes and NOT the stuff in the tall blue and yellow can. There was already a thread on this.
    Link?

I only use WD40 as a degreaser on my bikes.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Link?

WD-40 on the bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Thanks

I forgot, I also spray the bike down with WD40 after riding in the rain.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'm sure with a company as big as WD- 40 and as good as it has been for so many years, they will bring to the table some quality product. Can't wait to try it, WD-40 has always been a go to product for a number of applications for a large number of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All I care is they keep the classic scent! Eau de wd40

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Link?

By the responses on many forums, I think WD-40 really screwed up their marketing by naming these products after the "original formula". I think they are trying to bank on brand recognition, but the original blue can stuff has a reputation for not being good as anything but a degreaser on a bicycle. But, in bog box stores, I think this line will do well.

"WD-40 BIKE" IS NOT the original formula - except for the thing they call "multi-use" which I suspect is just repackaged original stuff. They offer a dry lube, a wet lube, foaming bike wash, etc. Do you think the foaming bike wash is WD-40?

The frame protectant looks like some kind of detailing wax (like Honda Polish) that's been around for motorcycles for years.

So, again, these products ARE NOT the WD-40 original formula. It's a separate line of products with the WD-40 name, which I think was a marketing decision based on brand recognition.

WD-40 BIKE | A comprehensive line of bicycle care products developed for cyclists and mechanics

By the responses on many forums, I think WD-40 really screwed up their marketing by naming these products after the "original formula". I think they are trying to bank on brand recognition, but the original blue can stuff has a reputation for not being good as anything but a degreaser on a bicycle. But, in bog box stores, I think this line will do well.

"WD-40 BIKE" IS NOT the original formula - except for the thing they call "multi-use" which I suspect is just repackaged original stuff. They offer a dry lube, a wet lube, foaming bike wash, etc. Do you think the foaming bike wash is WD-40?

The frame protectant looks like some kind of detailing wax (like Honda Polish) that's been around for motorcycles for years.

So, again, these products ARE NOT the WD-40 original formula. It's a separate line of products with the WD-40 name, which I think was a marketing decision based on brand recognition.
    WD-40 BIKE | A comprehensive line of bicycle care products developed for cyclists and mechanics

Umm I think that's self explanitory. And as far as using the name WD-40 why wouldn't they. They are a huge brand that has been successful for 30 or more years.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Umm I think that's self explanitory. And as far as using the name WD-40 why wouldn't they. They are a huge brand that has been successful for 30 or more years.
    No. People are still doing this: and saying how bad it is to use WD-40 on their bikes. They are right, but this stuff is completely different. I think people are getting it twisted.

****** to the dirt

WD40 isn't the brand name it is the companies name, they are not going to rename the company just for a new line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    WD40 isn't the brand name it is the companies name, they are not going to rename the company just for a new line.
    It's a brand, a product, and a company, like Xerox, Coca-Cola, etc. Many companies have product lines that are different names than the company, i.e. Coca-Cola owns Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, Snapple... but they don't call any of those "Coca-Cola", right? So, I'm not sure why they went with "WD-40 BIKE" other than trying to play off their brand recognition. They could have completely named it something else, manufactured by WD-40 Company.

What I'm saying, is the previous thread regarding these lubricants, people have mistakenly confused the original WD-40 formula for these new chain lubes. People ought not to get them confused: the only thing that is the original formula is their "multi-use" product, which is simply repackaged in a small bottle. The chain lubes, frame protectant, etc. are not WD-40 original formula.

What I'm interested in is the price point. If the product is good, then I can see where they would have an advantage over other brands simply because they are already in those channels. I can definitely see this being sold in Walmart, Target, Lowes, etc. at a competitive price compared to what is in the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well then lets call the bike stuff WD60, or would some of
    you like WD29er better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wd650b has a nice ring to it.

Zippo
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-21-2012 at 05:58 PM.

No. People are still doing this: and saying how bad it is to use WD-40 on their bikes. They are right, but this stuff is completely different. I think people are getting it twisted.
    Well then those people are obviously so clueless that they deserve to miss out on IMO what could be the best bike lube and maintenance products to hit the market for some time. A company like WD-40 isn't going to jump into the game without major research and development. It's not like Joe Blow down the street that decides to patent a product after borrowing the money from his uncle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well then those people are obviously so clueless that they deserve to miss out on IMO what could be the best bike lube and maintenance products to hit the market for some time. A company like WD-40 isn't going to jump into the game without major research and development. It's not like Joe Blow down the street that decides to patent a product after borrowing the money from his uncle.
    Yeah, I think this is a good thing, too! Sometimes with I go to an LBS and look at the "boutique" lubricants, I kinda just gasp at the price sometimes. Not that I don't want to help the little guy, but with 7 bikes, chain lube is something I go through kinda fast.

The last chain lube I bought was White Lightening at Walmart, and I like it. So, if WD-40 BIKE is better and a good price - I'm down for it!

mtbr member
    I knew of a motorcyclist who used nothing but WD-40 and actually got 30k out of a sportbike chain, sometimes ignorance is bliss, or maybe just keeping it well lubed like most people do not even with quality chain lube.

Im with Dirtjunkie on this, would love to try the real lube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    They are advertising agressively in the Tri market too.

AZ
    banned
    What has WD-40 done to support or promote cycling or cyclists?

What has WD-40 done to support or promote cycling or cyclists?
    What's tbe difference as long as they make a quality product for us. Besides I think it's a little premature to jump on the "they don't support cyclists" wagon. I say give them chance and see what happens with that part down the road. Not all cycling companies started life witn a huge cycling support history.

AZ
    banned
    What's tbe difference as long as they make a quality product for us. Besides I think it's a little premature to jump on the "they don't support cyclists" wagon. I say give them chance and see what happens with that part down the road. Not all cycling companies started life witn a huge cycling support history.

What's the difference? There are lubes that are sold by companies that have supported cycling and cyclists for a long period of time. I prefer to support those that have support us, not some faceless corp. that views us solely as an expanded segment of market share.

mtbr member
    What's the difference? There are lubes that are sold by companies that have supported cycling and cyclists for a long period of time. I prefer to support those that have support us, not some faceless corp. that views us solely as an expanded segment of market share.
    good point Az but think lotsa companies support us to our faces to get more better PR and in turn more profit, then do all their manufacturing over seas so? It truly takes some research these days to put your money into something you wanna support, or you could just buy it because it's good and you like it, which if you support a free market is putting your money where you want.
    Oh it's so confusing, what happened to the days when oil was just oil
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    good point Az but think lotsa companies support us to our faces to get more better PR and in turn more profit, then do all their manufacturing over seas so? It truly takes some research these days to put your money into something you wanna support, or you could just buy it because it's good and you like it, which if you support a free market is putting your money where you want.
    Oh it's so confusing, what happened to the days when oil was just oil
    You couldn't be more right, LaCarne. Unless a company is a non-profit, the end goal is to make profit - which I don't mind, but we shouldn't kid ourselves. All the "giving back" to riders, is ultimately connected to marketing. This doesn't mean they are being evil, but they have a business to run. If it wasn't for these marketing reasons, all these companies giving back wouldn't have their large logo banner strewn across their "charity".

In fact, by this statement alone, you have played right into their marketing:
    I prefer to support those that have support us, not some faceless corp. that views us solely as an expanded segment of market share.
    Because of their ways, they've built brand loyalty, and you spend your money with them.

Well, WD-40 has loyal followers, too. To many, WD-40 brings fond memories of father and son tinkering, fixing creaking doors at an old house, etc. They been around for years, and many, as shown in this thread, will gravitate towards a brand they have grown fond of.

To you, they might be "faceless", but to countless consumers, WD-40 is a brand they can't count on to be good. And this is how and why this new branching out will be successful.

AZ, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. All I meant was to give them a chance. Only the future can tell if a how much they willl support the biking industry. And that not all companies that are huge supporters of the industry started out that way.

You couldn't be more right, LaCarne. Unless a company is a non-profit, the end goal is to make profit - which I don't mind, but we shouldn't kid ourselves. All the "giving back" to riders, is ultimately connected to marketing. This doesn't mean they are being evil, but they have a business to run. If it wasn't for these marketing reasons, all these companies giving back wouldn't have their large logo banner strewn across their "charity".

In fact, by this statement alone, you have played right into their marketing:

Because of their ways, they've built brand loyalty, and you spend your money with them.

Well, WD-40 has loyal followers, too. To many, WD-40 brings fond memories of father and son tinkering, fixing creaking doors at an old house, etc. They been around for years, and many, as shown in this thread, will gravitate towards a brand they have grown fond of.

To you, they might be "faceless", but to countless consumers, WD-40 is a brand they can't count on to be good. And this is how and why this new branching out will be successful.

Dion,
    I was picking my brain back to my youth. I can remember WD-40 being used around the house with my dad and brother. It wasn't just household use but on our bikes,motorcycles,snowmobiles,boats and later Jet ski's. Wondering as I am just about to turn 51 how old the company is. After some research they were founded in 1953 which makes them 60 years old. Sixty years this product has stayed the same. With numerous uses and a common go to for many for so many years.
    Go here. The History of WD-40 - What Does WD-40 Mean?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.

banned
    Why give them a chance? Because the market is now big enough? Where were they for the last 100 years. Like others have said, support the ones that have been meeting the needs.

mtbr member
    Anyone who makes a quality product for the bicycle industry is supporting it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Anyone who makes a quality product for the bicycle industry is supporting it.

No they are not. Simply selling a product aimed at cyclists is far from supporting cycling. Opportunistic is what it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    No they are not. Simply selling a product aimed at cyclists is far from supporting cycling. Opportunistic is what it is.
    That can be said for all bicycle related companies. Nobody goes into business to not make money.

mtbr member
    Topics like this that turn into arguments crack me up. We're talking about chain lube. Who cares what the name of the company is as long as it does a good job of keeping said chain lubed

The Original Suspect
    WD-40's own web site states that "for long-term lubrication, a specialized bicycle lubrication may be used"

WD-40 and Bike Chains
    Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
    Fact:
    While WD-40 Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40 Multi-Use Product before riding. For long-term lubrication, a specialized bicycle lubricant may be used.

WD-40 Facts & Myths | WD-40 Ingredients

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    AZ always brings up a good point.

REALLY?
    Would rather find some old stock pedros,., proven, no questioned asked (I still have a half of bottle of pedros left).
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Sorry but to me this frame of mind makes no sense. So because a large company decides to get into selling bike related products but they have never supported the bike industry in any way. We as consumers shouldn't give them a chance. Because we should stick with the long time companies that have supported the industry over a number of years. Who can see into the future. How do we know they are just in it for the money. All the other companies started out this way and most of them saw a way in to a better profit margin by supporting the bike industry in different ways. If we didn't give them a chance by not buying their products what choices would we have if they all folded early on.

All these companies are in it for profit. I'm not fooled for a minute that they are here to help us have a better riding experience. As Meat said it's all PR to help sales. If WD-40 products end up to be a superior product over all others on the market. And they don't turn into a company that supports the biking industry in any other way than supplying us with these products. So be it, I as a consumer prefer to use the best products I can find in the market place. Sure I believe in supporting the companies that are soley into bike industry products but if they aren't making a top notch product and another less involved bike industry company is, I'm buying the one that is better. All it does is create more competition and forces the other companies to step up their game to produce better products.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    AZ always brings up a good point.
    That's a good point to bring up
    Round and round we go

Ride More, Work Less
    I'll keep an open mind about their products, but I know I tend to support companies that give back in some way.

The high school mountain bike leagues need sponsors to get the price of participating to an accessible level. If WD-40 offered up to cover the required background checks for the league coaches and direct contact adults, I would buy a case.

This is the picture of the MN league race that is going to happen in my town tomorrow. I'm taking my boys and we are going to make a day for it. I'm sure SRAM would gladly give up some space on the fencing for another major sponsor.

EDIT: So I looked on their website and see they are sponsoring several races.
    Events*|*WD-40 Bike
    I'm game for a purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by heyyall; 09-22-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: did some research

Bro Mountainbiker
    WD40 has become a major sponsor for the USGP CX series here in the states this year. They are one of the reasons the USGP is even going to be held this year.(there was a pertty big scare a month back) There is a perfect example of WD40 supporting the cycling community.

Not to mention, you can put that **** on your chain to stop the squeak.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Makes sense to me you focking nutjob.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-23-2012 at 07:40 AM.

banned
    Quoting spammers?

Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    Quoting spammers?
    Huh? Because I called him a nutjob.

banned
    Huh? Because I called him a nutjob.

And when the mods delete his post his spam is still alive in your quoted post. Spammer win. That is why it is not customary to quote them.

Bro Mountainbiker
    He will also live on in our hearts and souls eternally. Spammer wins every time. Goddamn you dirtjunkie.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Ride More, Work Less
    WD-40 makes a great spot remover. Maybe Dirt can squirt a little WD on the edit button so that he can roll back time and save us from a life of regret.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast