Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

WD-40 offically entering chain lube market

Remeber the good old days when we use too bash loosers that used WD-40 to lubricate their bicycle chains? Well sadly those days are gone now as WD-40 is bringing out a line of chain lubes.

I4NI
    Still got a bucket of 3-n-1 oil sonny
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Wholly crap batman.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    These are actual chain lubes and NOT the stuff in the tall blue and yellow can. There was already a thread on this.

mtbr member
    They sell it at Lowes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Has anyone tried it, and is it
    any good?

High Desert MTBer
    Urgh...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    What next? A chain lube from KY?

"With KY Cycling Sensations, put the red tube on your cassete, the blue tube on you chain, and feel an erotic sensation as they blend together."

AZ
    banned
    Astroglide.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    These are actual chain lubes and NOT the stuff in the tall blue and yellow can. There was already a thread on this.
    Link?

I only use WD40 as a degreaser on my bikes.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Link?

WD-40 on the bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Thanks

I forgot, I also spray the bike down with WD40 after riding in the rain.

Front Range, Colorado
    I'm sure with a company as big as WD- 40 and as good as it has been for so many years, they will bring to the table some quality product. Can't wait to try it, WD-40 has always been a go to product for a number of applications for a large number of years.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All I care is they keep the classic scent! Eau de wd40

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Link?

By the responses on many forums, I think WD-40 really screwed up their marketing by naming these products after the "original formula". I think they are trying to bank on brand recognition, but the original blue can stuff has a reputation for not being good as anything but a degreaser on a bicycle. But, in bog box stores, I think this line will do well.

"WD-40 BIKE" IS NOT the original formula - except for the thing they call "multi-use" which I suspect is just repackaged original stuff. They offer a dry lube, a wet lube, foaming bike wash, etc. Do you think the foaming bike wash is WD-40?

The frame protectant looks like some kind of detailing wax (like Honda Polish) that's been around for motorcycles for years.

So, again, these products ARE NOT the WD-40 original formula. It's a separate line of products with the WD-40 name, which I think was a marketing decision based on brand recognition.

WD-40 BIKE | A comprehensive line of bicycle care products developed for cyclists and mechanics

Front Range, Colorado
    By the responses on many forums, I think WD-40 really screwed up their marketing by naming these products after the "original formula". I think they are trying to bank on brand recognition, but the original blue can stuff has a reputation for not being good as anything but a degreaser on a bicycle. But, in bog box stores, I think this line will do well.

"WD-40 BIKE" IS NOT the original formula - except for the thing they call "multi-use" which I suspect is just repackaged original stuff. They offer a dry lube, a wet lube, foaming bike wash, etc. Do you think the foaming bike wash is WD-40?

The frame protectant looks like some kind of detailing wax (like Honda Polish) that's been around for motorcycles for years.

So, again, these products ARE NOT the WD-40 original formula. It's a separate line of products with the WD-40 name, which I think was a marketing decision based on brand recognition.
    WD-40 BIKE | A comprehensive line of bicycle care products developed for cyclists and mechanics

Umm I think that's self explanitory. And as far as using the name WD-40 why wouldn't they. They are a huge brand that has been successful for 30 or more years.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Umm I think that's self explanitory. And as far as using the name WD-40 why wouldn't they. They are a huge brand that has been successful for 30 or more years.
    No. People are still doing this: and saying how bad it is to use WD-40 on their bikes. They are right, but this stuff is completely different. I think people are getting it twisted.

duh

WD40 isn't the brand name it is the companies name, they are not going to rename the company just for a new line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    WD40 isn't the brand name it is the companies name, they are not going to rename the company just for a new line.
    It's a brand, a product, and a company, like Xerox, Coca-Cola, etc. Many companies have product lines that are different names than the company, i.e. Coca-Cola owns Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, Snapple... but they don't call any of those "Coca-Cola", right? So, I'm not sure why they went with "WD-40 BIKE" other than trying to play off their brand recognition. They could have completely named it something else, manufactured by WD-40 Company.

What I'm saying, is the previous thread regarding these lubricants, people have mistakenly confused the original WD-40 formula for these new chain lubes. People ought not to get them confused: the only thing that is the original formula is their "multi-use" product, which is simply repackaged in a small bottle. The chain lubes, frame protectant, etc. are not WD-40 original formula.

What I'm interested in is the price point. If the product is good, then I can see where they would have an advantage over other brands simply because they are already in those channels. I can definitely see this being sold in Walmart, Target, Lowes, etc. at a competitive price compared to what is in the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well then lets call the bike stuff WD60, or would some of
    you like WD29er better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wd650b has a nice ring to it.

Front Range, Colorado
    Zippo
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-21-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    No. People are still doing this: and saying how bad it is to use WD-40 on their bikes. They are right, but this stuff is completely different. I think people are getting it twisted.
    Well then those people are obviously so clueless that they deserve to miss out on IMO what could be the best bike lube and maintenance products to hit the market for some time. A company like WD-40 isn't going to jump into the game without major research and development. It's not like Joe Blow down the street that decides to patent a product after borrowing the money from his uncle.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Well then those people are obviously so clueless that they deserve to miss out on IMO what could be the best bike lube and maintenance products to hit the market for some time. A company like WD-40 isn't going to jump into the game without major research and development. It's not like Joe Blow down the street that decides to patent a product after borrowing the money from his uncle.
    Yeah, I think this is a good thing, too! Sometimes with I go to an LBS and look at the "boutique" lubricants, I kinda just gasp at the price sometimes. Not that I don't want to help the little guy, but with 7 bikes, chain lube is something I go through kinda fast.

The last chain lube I bought was White Lightening at Walmart, and I like it. So, if WD-40 BIKE is better and a good price - I'm down for it!

mtbr member
    I knew of a motorcyclist who used nothing but WD-40 and actually got 30k out of a sportbike chain, sometimes ignorance is bliss, or maybe just keeping it well lubed like most people do not even with quality chain lube.

Im with Dirtjunkie on this, would love to try the real lube.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast