• 05-24-2005
    Locoman
    My definitive answer. Well, I guess its still opinion somewhat but heregoes.. WD40 is a very light penetrating lube. Yes, it is a lube but moreso its full of solvent. The solvent dries very fast leaving almost nothing behind. Its best uses are to clean heavily greased parts and loosen seized parts like a seized bolt. Its also good for getting rid of moisture.. Like if your cleaning out the internals of a hub WD40 will clean out grease, but it will also displace water in doing so. (WD = water displacement.)

You might get some use out of it as a bike chain lube, but its sort of a crappy one at best. If you don't reuse it often your chain will rust very quickly. But if you reapply often it propbably won't be an issue. ..but the quality of it as a lube is still pretty bad.
  • 05-24-2005
    Gripshift
    In a book I have there's a section on bike maintenance that says to spray your chain with wd40 after you wash your bike. I guess by sparying the chain with wd40, it gets all the water out. I like to use T9, it's made in my home town and works pretty gosh darn good.. ;)
  • 05-24-2005
    Penn State
    if you guys think wd is good stuff, try PBlaster. Its basically WD-40 on steriods. We use it a lot when restoring old cars. I'm suprised no one has mention this stuff yet. It makes WD look like childs play

But on that note, i don't use either as a chain lube. I prefer white lightning. Works well and is highly flammable, so if i'm ever in need of a fire starter and don't have kindling around just drip on some lightning :)
  • 05-24-2005
    FreeRangeChicken
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimC.
    ... enlarges .... d!cks ...Order a case today. But wait there's more....

Jim :rolleyes:

Sounds a lot like the spam mail I get....

"Apply to wonder cream to afflicted appendage and rub vigerously..."

Uh.... if I apply applesauce and rub vigorously it's going to enlarge. ;)

Sorry, had to go there.
  • 05-24-2005
    forkboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jm.
    Simple green is not a "degreaser", it simply breaks down oil and dirt because it is a detergent just like soap, there's nothing special about it and compared to "real" degreasers that you use in parts cleaners and get in auto stores, it's crap.

HEATHEN!!!!

Simple Green can clean anything.... except Babies.

Don't say stuff like that. You make me question the flatness of the world.
  • 05-24-2005
    pacman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by khj
    I was flipping channels the other day and caught a few minutes of some jackazzes dressed in duct tape with cans of wd40 velcroed to their lapels saying things like "I thought the only thing I needed in my toolbox was duct tape, but then the toolbox got rusty and that's when I discovered I needed wd40, too!" on that show with Cliff from Cheers driving around the country and visiting bits of Americana, and they apparently authored a book on half of their extensive and according to them fully comprehensive tool kit.

The formula for a complete repair kit "If if moves and shouldn't use duct tape, if it doesn't move and should use WD-40". :)
  • 05-24-2005
    derby
    WD40 is just fine ...
    ... for up to 1/2 hour bike path rides.

Use a dry wax, White Lightning or Pedro's Ice for dry conditions. Or a heavier oil base if you ride in the rain and mud.

For longer rides, like over 3 hours duration, bring some chain oil with you and relube during the ride for best shifting.

- ray
  • 05-24-2005
    Crash_Burn
    WD40 is Crack
    You Engineer types can probably answer this, but I think the manufacture adds a smelling agent. It's addictive!

According to their website these are the recommended uses for a bike

www.wd40.com/Racing/index.html

Protect bike frames from saltwater corrosion
    Clean swing arms on dirt bikes
    Shine bike tires
    Lubricate gear sprockets and derailleurs on mountain bikes
    Prevent rust on bike scratches
    Clean and protect adjusting screws on bicycle seats
    Clean chrome bicycle frames
    Degrease bicycle chains
    Lubricate bicycle U-locks
    Drive moisture from wet bicycle chains and gear shifting cables
    Remove unwanted decals from bicycle frames
    Loosen swivels on bicycle handlebars
    Prevent rust on bicycle spokes, brake threads and brake cables
    Stop squeaks on bicycle seat coils and posts

You don't see them recommending it as a "Chain Lube"

Oh and they say the ingredients are "secret".

Full disclosure....I keep WD40 in my toolbox and use it when I need a fix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aFish
    In our local forum, the question of WD-40 as a bike chain lubricant rises again and again.

Any solid facts?

• 05-24-2005
    kev0153
    Here is some data from the Navy comparing the how well different CPCs (Corrosion Prevention Compounds) work. No data on lubrication properties. You can see that WD-40 is a decent water displacer and it helps control exfoliation on certain grades of aluminium. It's not great at slowing corrosion on steel or aluminium but it is not the worst either.

SS = Salt Spray
    SSSA = Sulfuric Acid Salt Spray (designed to better simulate conditions around the fleet)

Shorter Bars are better.

Link to Data

Here is same data showing Boeshield. It is a bit different in that it dries to a thin soft film. Again, only showing corosion data not lubrication. It is interesting that Boeshield is a better water displacer than WD-40 and provides about the same level of corrosion protection.

Link to Data
  • 05-24-2005
    ol' Dirt McGert
    what you need...
    ...is Jig-A-Loo AHAHAHA!!! (makes sense if you watch Canadian TV)

seriously, I only use the '40 to make my bike shine.

I have found the above mentioned Jig-a-Loo to be a good water displacer for my cables/derailleur, it's supposedly safe to use around grease, but I have my doubts so I make sure to spray smart. However, I think it's a Canada only product, I know it's made up here).

For chain lube I use a product called Fluid Film, goes on heavier since it contains a light wax which also means almost no over spray. Mud and water DO NOT stick to this stuff, but I found after a few wet rides (most rides are wet in swampy deep south Ontario) it can start to wash away. It's also all natural/food safe, which is cool.

For fun/profit you can always take a couple blobs of grease on some cardboard spray with your favorite lube and see what happens....
  • 05-24-2005
    Speedub.Nate
    WD-40 is a great solvent for dissolving the crapped-out, gummed-up lube left behind by the previous treatment of WD-40!

Like ChipAllen wrote, a drip application of Tri-Flow ends up being cheaper, cleaner and longer lasting.
  • 05-24-2005
    Crusty Oldman
    The propellent used to pressurize the can of WD-40 is nothing more than propane. That's why it penetrates well, and evaporates quickly. And makes a great flamethrower.

Hey, watch this!
  • 05-24-2005
    Boognish
    My dad always said, "some oil is better than no oil". I think the same holds true with chain lube. Cleaning and lubing your chain regularly with *almost anything* is better than neglecting it. I use Tri Flow to clean my chain, and Finish line dry lube after that. I also replace my chain once a year so that the rear cassette doesn't get worn from a stretched chain. I haven't had a problem with my drivetrain in years. If I was using only WD-40, I'd probably say the same thing.
  • 05-24-2005
    Hecubus
    Sure, running WD 40 on your chain is better than running it dry by far. That said it can get the job done to a certain degree but its nowhere near as good as a proper chain lube. It evaporates too quickly and requires constant reaplication. A good thicker lube that stays put and cushions the metal on metal contact will perform significantly better.
    It can be quite problematic for disc brakes too if you keep spraying it on your chain. The mist and overspray from its blast seems to always find its way onto the rotors. Not a very good thing... I use WD40 on my pedals and cleats just before a ride to keep dirt from sticking and the jaws and hinges clean. Even then I have to be carefull it doesn't end where I don't want it.
  • 05-25-2005
    datako
    A quick blast with WD40 before degreasing, and all the crud comes off. Then use proper lube.
  • 05-26-2005
    endurowanker
    finish line cross country for wet

teflon plus for dry.

that's what i keep coming back to.

WD40 makes a decent cleaner.

PB blaster is where it's at for loosening stuff, smells like crap though.