mtbr member

Water in Frame!!!!!!!

Hi, My Dad has a Haro Shift R3 and it got water in the frame. We were riding in a race when it started raining and after the race I started to clean it for him. When I clean it, I don't have a stand so I turn it upside down so I can work on the derailer and what not.Once I was done I took of the seat and the seat post was wet. so I tiped the frame upside down and about a half a cup of water came out. Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do? What will happen if the water stays in there for any longer. Your help will be greatly apreceated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB-AHOLIC
    Hi, My Dad has a Haro Shift R3 and it got water in the frame. We were riding in a race when it started raining and after the race I started to clean it for him. When I clean it, I don't have a stand so I turn it upside down so I can work on the derailer and what not.Once I was done I took of the seat and the seat post was wet. so I tiped the frame upside down and about a half a cup of water came out. Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do? What will happen if the water stays in there for any longer. Your help will be greatly apreceated.
    is it an aluminium or steel frame ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    is it an aluminium or steel frame ?
    Aluminium

Even if it's aluminum or titanium, water sitting in the frame will usually concentrate at the bottom bracket and it's not good to keep that in water. After wet rides take the seatpost out of the frame and turn it upside down to drain it; you can also drill a hole in the bb shell for a drain (but know what you're doing that way).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB-AHOLIC
    Water was getting into my frame (non-Haro) through the top of the seat tube. The seatpost was slightly too small diameter, and the slot at the top of the tube, under the clamp, was letting watter spray from the tire go down the tube into the frame. The water gathering in the bottom bracket killing the bearings. What I did, replaced the seatpost with one .2mm larger. Until I did this I packed the slot with grease to keep the water out. Check to see if his seatpost is too loose (should be slightly snug), or just seal the back with grease.
    B.

Samsonite Tester

High speed drill

A hole 5/32 to 1/8 drilled in the center bottom of the BB shell will act as a drain. It used to be more common in very wet climates. It won' hurt the frame structure if you drill it cleanly..

Also add pulling and regreaseing the BB every six months or so. If water gets in there then so does the small crud that causes wear on the bearings.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    This has come up before, and no one has answered my question. Is there a hole in the BB housing for the frame tube to dump water into the bearings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Oldman
    This has come up before, and no one has answered my question. Is there a hole in the BB housing for the frame tube to dump water into the bearings?

Yes, there should be.

Samsonite Tester
    No.

H2O and lots and lots of revolutions can cause wear on the bearings. The headset and suspension links don't revolve at 90rpm cadence for hours on end. But if you skateboard you might know that bearing that are cleaned and lubed regularlly stay tight for years but a bearing used specifically for street and splashed without regular cleanings will get sloppy in lots less time.

Also fact sealed cartrige bearings can rust.

Another fact XT octalink sealed cartride BB won't last long enough on a SS to warrent anything but frequent replacement.

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

All 26.5" all the time!

Maybe.

Some BB shells do have holes drilled for each tube that attaches to it, and some do not. You'll have to pull the cranks and BB to see for sure.

There's no app for this.

here's how it's done (definitive answer)

from one old crusty man to another, authored by another old crusty man (Mike T).

Jim

here

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    from one old crusty man to another, authored by another old crusty man (Mike T).

Jim

here
    Thats not a bad idea.

Call it a wiggle stick . (Search >music > Revernd Horton Heat >wiggle stick)

mtbr member
    That's one way to drain water from the BB, JimC, but it doesn't say anything about whether there are any holes between the frame members. I can see where drilling drain holes to the outside might be a good idea, both for drainage and to release any pressure during welding. In fact there are several already there. But not in my BB.

Anyway, my question is about internal holes between the frame members. I don't see any advantage to doing this. And if there isn't one, then there is no way for seat post water to get into my BB. Guess I'll just have to take an angle grinder to my Dawg and find out for myself.

There's no app for this.

try this then

remove seat and post, turn bike upside down and water drains out. We do it all the time here in the Pacific Northwe(s)t. Jim

Oh yeah, replace seat post and seat assembly. heh.

mtbr member
    remove seat and post, turn bike upside down and water drains out.
    You're getting soooo close, Nanook. But you still don't say if that water comes out of just the tube, or if it actually drains out of the BB housing.

There's no app for this.

well I just

crawled inside my tubes to find the answer but I can't see in there, it's too dark. I dunno. Ask the mfr or product manager of your frameset I guess. But I doubt there's a blockage, it should be BB water. Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I've actually seen a guy had his BB drilled out. He tapped the hole and had a grease fitting put in it, he would unscrew the fitting to drain and then reapply it and regrease. The guy had his bike for 8 years and never replaced the BB.

I'm not sure I recommend doing this unless you know what your doing, but might be a good shot.

mtbr member
    ...I doubt there's a blockage, it should be BB water. Jim
    JimC, you thickly-witted, fungus-toed, fern brain. The question is not whether something may be artificially blocking the flow of water from the BB out thru the seat tube, but rather if there might indeed be a hole, outlet, pore, vent, cleft, crack, or cranny thru which the aforesaid water might afford itself an exit from its confines within the transversely-mounted bottom bracket to the obviously freely-flowing seat tube. Is there a barrier, or is there a breaching, between the two structural members; this is the question! In short, is there any egress at all for liquids trapped within the BB?

Could you please enlighten us with your knowledge of whether a communication is made between the cavity which contains the crankular bearings to the welded upright buttular support? Is this interface between structural members one which facilitates the drainage of fluids from one cavity to the next when placed in an inverted position, or has the integrity of each member, and a separation twixt the twain been maintained, allowing solely for the elimination of water contained within the seat tube, and prohibiting the elimination of accumulated moisture within the BB?

If the extremely unlikely possiblilty that you have no knowledge of whether or not a perforation may or may not exist between these two structural elements--the seat tube and the bottom bracket housing--please signify by saying "gee, Crusty. I just don't know."

Thank you.
    Last edited by Crusty Oldman; 11-13-2005 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hee Hee. You funny crusty. You must win at Scrabble.

Anyway, how about looking down the seat tube with a flashlight? I just tried it on my bike and could clearly see a "perforation." ;-)
    B.

First time around I couldn't figure just what kind of a sense of humor COM had...I mean, after all, all you have to do is LOOK at the tubes joined to your bottom bracket shell (and a good lighting source will help of course). But since that's so simple I just figured I was missing the humor somewheres, but I'm still not sure since there's no conclusion from COM.

ps just noticed COM didn't even start this...I'm confused
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique