Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Washing your bike?

What do most people use to hold their bikes while washing them?

I constructed a wood floor stand, so because it is wood and somewhat heavy it does work but now I am into saving floor space in the garage and have individual floor stand.

One is the Willworx stand and I am thinking it will not be stable enough and might start the rusting process if getting soaked on a regular basis. The EZ stand appears to be all PVC but I have not purchased one yet ( in the thinking stages) and wondering how secure the bike will be in this stand during the cleaning process.

Someone must have some good advice for bathing the bike?

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I lean it against the wall -- I wash my bikes outside. And then I pour water over it, go over the frame and other non-moving parts with a soapy rag, and then I pour more water over it. There's no need to make it any more complicated or involved than that.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I made my stand myself.
    2 horizontal iron galvanized tubes 22mm length 400mm
    2 other tubes I bent 135 degrees and welded them across the 2 horizontal ones.
    They are a bit less wide than my 2.25 tire and it works perfect.
    They hold the tire at 6 o'Álock and 9 o'clock.
    All was made in half an hour and works perfect. I'm also using it to store my bike.
    It fits 26" and 29" perfect.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    One is the Willworx stand and I am thinking it will not be stable enough and might start the rusting process if getting soaked on a regular basis. The EZ stand appears to be all PVC but I have not purchased one yet ( in the thinking stages) and wondering how secure the bike will be in this stand during the cleaning process.

I wash my bike on my Park Tool workstand. This winter, I removed (Literally, mean this actually happened!) greater than 4 pounds of mud off of my Pugsley after a ill-advised post-thaw ride.

But I personally never submerge my bike in water such that rusting a stand would be an issue. I use a spray bottle (vinegar/water or windex) and paper towels, or a cotton towel soaked in a small bucket. Never a hose or a drenching. For soap, I found soft hand soap is very mild while still effective on dirt. A very light rinsing with a spray bottle or a towel soaked in clean water will finish everything up nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The garage door.

duh
    I don't wash it, the mud is the only thing holding it together
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member

Washing my ride

I think I got the picture, guess I have been over doing it by using the garden hose at a fast and narrow spray, No wonder I would need to bolt the bike down.

Seems like I should be just using a hand held pump sprayer to remove the soapy water.
    I normally use the back pack blower to dry the bike and I guess that part is safe.

Thanks for all of your input!

mtbr member
    I keep a single bike metal stand near the hose outside for quick rinses, and in the garage I just put it in the repair stand for more detailed cleaning.

mtbr member
    I wash mine on my roof rack. Then drive down the Freeway for 20 minutes or so to dry it.....Perfect!

mtbr member
    Very clever, you wash the bike and the car get cleaned & dryer as a result, if I only had a roof rack...!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Bike leaned against garage door.

Drizzle water from hose (not spray) onto dirty bike.

Pump sprayer with simple green / water to soap up bike.

Brush for chain/cogs, rag for frame.

Dribble rinse.

Pretty bike again.

mtbr member
    You wash your bike? The only time mine gets "washed" is if i get caught out in the rain and then strap the bike on the roof rack and drive down the highway. But I do drive a Jeep, and a Jeep isnt a Jeep unless its dirty, so i guess im in the same mindset when it comes to my mtn bike..

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by drj85 View Post
    You wash your bike? The only time mine gets "washed" is if i get caught out in the rain and then strap the bike on the roof rack and drive down the highway. But I do drive a Jeep, and a Jeep isnt a Jeep unless its dirty, so i guess im in the same mindset when it comes to my mtn bike..
    It's very important to show up for races with a nice, shiny bike. Especially road races. Otherwise, you lose roadie points.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    It's very important to show up for races with a nice, shiny bike. Especially road races. Otherwise, you lose roadie points.
    what does a roadie look like? I am usually in the trails so I don't see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I hear ya! My bike needs to stay relativly clean since it sits next to me in my Honda Element most of the time, at least in the summer.

The front tire becomes my armrest as it assumes the position between the front seats.
    ( Console is removable)

mtbr member
    I have one of these. It's held up nicely for a long time, though it doesn't play well with anything that has a wide downtube or large BB shell*. I throw the bike on that and pretty much follow BigRingGrinder's routine.

mtbr member
    I've either leaned it against my house, my truck, or a tree, or kept it on my bike rack on the back of my truck, or held it with one hand while spraying it with the hose with the other hand. That part seemed simple enough. What I never thought of, however, is how much of a better idea it is to use a spray bottle or wet towel instead of the hose. Wish I would have thought of that before the rust.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I use a Topeak LineUp Bike Stand, which works pretty well.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I will check one out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    on the ground

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Easy...strap to rear rack and drive to automatic car wash! lol, just jokin'

I gotta admit, these days I don't wash it enough to have given it much thought...when I do wash it's just leaned up against the nearest convenient object that I don't mind getting wet and dirty.

In my younger days (before I had a wife and kids), I used to regularly wash my bike in the shower of my apartment.

-RW

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you have any welding experience, I picked up some scrap steel for $5 to make a nice heavy wash stand. For my 29er I used an 8' piece of 3/8" steel and 2 scrap pieces of square tubing (anything heavy will work). Gave it the ole "accidental" bump test and it is almost impossible to knock over. Took 30 minutes to bend the metal and weld it. Sprayed it down with cheap truck bed liner to make sure it was waterproof to avoid rust. Total cost: $12. I'm a newb to the forum, so if by some miracle I attach my photo correctly, it is below!

EDIT: Forgot I can't post pics until I have 10 posts, rendering this post fairly useless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Washing your bike?-bike-stand.jpg  

mtbr member
    Washing your bike?-010.jpg

The same thing I use to build and work on them. A work stand was one of the best purchases ever. (not better than the Tallboy LTc though)

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    What do most people use to hold their bikes while washing them?

I constructed a wood floor stand, so because it is wood and somewhat heavy it does work but now I am into saving floor space in the garage and have individual floor stand.

I send my bike to the local dry cleaners. That way the aluminum frame of my Superlight won't rust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    daily riding seems to shake the old dirt right off. ride more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast