Tso
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Washing Your Bike?

What do you guys do to wash your mountain bike, typically i just spray mined down with pressurized water, but I hear that that is bad for the bearings so I'm wondering if you guys use any special products designed for mountain bikes or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Either FinishLine Bike Wash (If I'm feeling generous) or just water to soften any built up earth, then a damp cloth or sponge.

The bike is already scratched, I'm not worried about it getting more scratched from a wash every now and then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    there are some special products out there with special ingredients that help repel dirt and such... but personally nothing beats some windex, a good lint free rag, and some elbow grease.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    A clean rag, some dishwashing liquid, and water. I just hit the frame, handlebar/stem, seatpost/saddle, and rims/spokes. Not much to it -- I just clean everything to pretty it up for the beginning of the race season.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Never Forget 9-11
    I just rinse it off with a hose and then wipe it down with a towel. Takes about 5 minutes.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

The Original Suspect
    Clorox wipes work well for quickly getting dust and small debris off and making the tires look good. I'll hit mine with a hose every once in a while then use my air compressor to blow out any excess water in tight spots.

official eMpTyBRain
    Let water run over it if you are using a hose, but never
    "pressure wash". Then wipe, scrub softly to loosen/remove build up. Then wipe clean or gently run water over it to rinse. I always finish the job by wiping off the surfaces to remove the moisture.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Clorox wipes work well for quickly getting dust and small debris off and making the tires look good. I'll hit mine with a hose every once in a while then use my air compressor to blow out any excess water in tight spots.
    I've been using the same thing ( Lysol wipes ), they are tough and cleans up the bike nice. After that initial clean, I'll spray nearly my entire frame down, some components with good ol' WD40

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I usually use this stuff in a green can call duzital over the entire bike. It lose cns up the dirt like nobody's business

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wet an area with a gentle stream of water, spray with Simple Green, scrub with a soft bristle brush and rinse with gentle stream. The drive train gets the most attention, cogs, chain, and chain rings, but I also scrub everything else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Waterhose, automotive soap, brush. Scrub and rinse until its all clean, then dry with a chamois.

If mud is caked on, especially clay mud, I soak it and let it sit for a few to soften it so it comes off easier.

Tight places that I can't dry with a towel, I hit it with the air compressor to blow all the water out until it's dry. Not getting into the nooks and crannies is where you run into potential problems, so the air compressor works well. I also blow out all the water in my cassette and chain.

Re-lube the chain every time after a wash and thorough drying (using the air compressor).

ready to ride
    I quit washing mine all together. Well pretty much. Let me put it into perspective. I got a shiny new bike last spring. I was completely anal about keeping it clean. Pretty much washed it after every ride. It wasn't long before I was actually doing more harm than good. Trust me I was making sure I greased and oiled all the important parts. I found myself having to re-grease pivots and oil other components much more often than I should have to.

I probably haven't washed my bike since August, other than plowing through a creek. Don't get me wrong. I keep the drive train clean and oiled and lube all the other important parts. I use a dry rag to knock off the crud. My bike might not be so shiny any more and it has some dirt on it, but I don't have any rust, and I find I have to lube less. Sometimes less is more.

That said I am still pretty particular about my drivetrain. Usually wipig it down and oiling is enogh, but if funk starts to build up I will remove the wheel and use a scub brush and a small amount of simple green to clean the cassette and chain rings. I will clean the chain by running it trhough a rag, the oil, rag, oil, rag again.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    be careful about drying it with an air compressor, that can be just as bad as hosing it off, as it will push the water where you really dont want it.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I just use some water and a microfiber towel post ride. To clean it I usually use Meguiar's Gold Class wash and Turtle Wax spray wax for a quick shine job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I spray my bike off with the hose if it's super muddy, otherwise I generally just clean the stanchions and lube the chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I let mine dry, then just brush off all the big clumps of mud/dirt with a brush. Then lube the goodies. (the bike... not me... well sometimes).

Occassionaly I'll hit it with some Teflon based spray to keep it shiney (keep it off your brakes). Rarely do I need to take any water to it.

mtbr member
    Wash?

Nope.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I shake mine really hard after a ride, and it seems to be working well enough so far.

mtbr member
    For the frame I use baby wipes.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I, years ago, decreased and washed after every ride; that Trek was pretty much destroyed by the practice I believe.

Now unless it's been a muddy ride the bike doesn't get washed, and if I forget to wipe and relube the chain for a few rides, that's no big deal either.

Funny this stumpjumper has been pretty carefree.

mtbr member
    I usually wash (my bike-cycle) every 4 months or so, but now that may have to change since I'm running in some clay sh** that likes to get EVERYWHERE. But when I do actually wash it, I stand a ways back with a power washer (creating a fine mist effect) with simple green on the pedals, cassette, and crank. But then I make a point to use one of my wife's favorite washcloths on the frame... Then bounce it around, dry off the fork and other important items, with one of my wife's clean shirts and an air compressor, ride it a mile or so then lube it up and let the wax set. Done. Fight and have makeup sex. Win for everyone.
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson