Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007

WARNING: Kuat Sherpa Rack cable lock failure

In a recent experience my girlfriend's and my bike being stolen off the back of her company car while we ran into a fastfood joint and they were locked I looked into how they were stolen.

For an shorter rundown of what is going on look here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4057783&type=1

Kuat said they will send out notifications but have failed to do so within 48hrs so I am informing the public.

The messages between Kuat and I:

Me: We had our bikes stolen off of a Kuat rack in July and the part that failed was the loop at the end of the Kuat cable. We thought that it was just a defect or the robber had something strong to make the loop fail. We were sent a replacement and were using the cable to lock our bikes that insurance replaced and thought to myself "I wonder how strong this cable is?" So I grabbed the loop and pulled with my 2 fingers and the loop came apart. I grabbed the other loop with one finger and holding the other end in my other hand and the loop came apart. My girlfriend was standing there watching me and was in shock because when she called about it failing in the theft she was told the cables are tested and have never seen a failure of that sort. This was also repeated when we stopped by the Kuat booth at Interbike.

After 24hrs of no response I posted on their facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 783&type=1

In the post they say they will replace it so I respond to the message:
    Me: I am willing to give the cable lock another chance if you are willing to send out a new cable. Be sure to test it with pliers too because I am surely going to test it before I use it.

Kuat: Kyle, first we here at Küat would like to thank you for bringing this cable lock issue to our attention. Because of your due diligence, you have uncovered a problem with the cable not previously known to Küat. We are releasing an announcement bulletin on our facebook page and as a direct email to all registered Sherpa owners, asking them to stop using the cable provided with the rack. All of this in hopes that no fellow cyclist will have to relive the nightmare you have gone through. We are working with our suppliers and will be promptly sending out an improved version of the cable to any Sherpa owner that would like one. The bottom line is, we are sorry for the experience you have had. I hope you can find some comfort knowing how many bikes you may have saved.

Me: I appreciate the actions you are taking to resolve this. It is rare for people, let alone a company to admit a mistake and act upon it. I have to ask, how many cables did you test in the office?

Kuat: Kyle, I wasn't a part of the testing process, but I can say that the employees involved were visibly upset. Apparently the testing led them to the conclusion to issue a free replacement to any Sherpa owner that requests one.

Since there has yet to be any posting on their facebook page or messages sent out I have taken steps to help inform the public. Spread the word.
    Last edited by RS4Dreamer; 11-08-2012 at 08:52 AM.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Hmmm, not good. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My carrier has a loop "lock". Never once considered it prevention of theft. I use it to slow someone down when I'm not at the car but the bikes are never out of sight. I'd never leave a bike over night(not saying that is what you did) on my rack. If you can get the bike or rack off the car, so can someone else. Yeah it should withstand tugging on it by hand, but...
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    My carrier has a loop "lock". Never once considered it prevention of theft. I use it to slow someone down when I'm not at the car but the bikes are never out of sight. I'd never leave a bike over night(not saying that is what you did) on my rack. If you can get the bike or rack off the car, so can someone else. Yeah it should withstand tugging on it by hand, but...
    The bikes were definitely not left on the rack unattended over night.

We stopped at a fast food joint and were gone for at most 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    Man that sucks… Losing a bike is a horrible feeling.

I am not worried about the cable on my Sherpa. I do not use it. I have found it to be a major pain to unlock the cable at the hitch so I use the hitch lock to protect the rack and I use a Kryptonite cable and lock to secure the bikes to the rack.

JRA
    Thanks for the warning. Going to test mine when I get home from work.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

psycho cyclo addict
    Sorry to hear of your loss and thanks for the warning. Along the lines of what bigbadwulff said above: I have the NV and though I lock bikes to it, I never let them out of my sight as they are too expensive to replace with lousy/lowball insurance reimbursement $$$ (if you even get them to PAY UP).

JRA
    Kuat just posted an update on their FB page about the cables. It says they will be offering a free upgraded cable to any Sherpa owner. Nothing on their website yet, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anyone that thinks that a small cable is going to protect their bike is an idiot! I never leave my bike on the back of my car unattended. Even if the cable is not faulty, you can cut it in about three seconds. If someone wants your bike....they are going to take it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    Kuat just posted an update on their FB page about the cables. It says they will be offering a free upgraded cable to any Sherpa owner. Nothing on their website yet, though.
    I received this e-mail from Kuat:

PSA Bulletin- At Kuat, the sole purpose of our company is to safely transport your gear and bikes. It has been brought to our attention that there is a defect with a number of the “six foot, double looped cables”, part PSCBL6, provided with your Sherpa rack. Because Kuat does not want to compromise the security of any bike out there, we must insist that any Sherpa owner must immediately stop using, and discard the cable that was originally provided with the rack. We stand behind our products 100%, and that is why we will offer a free, upgraded cable to any Sherpa owner who would like one. Feel free to sign up for your free replacement at the link provided. Although the replacement cables are not readily available, we are working with our suppliers to urgently send you the newly designed cable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. All registered owners will be receiving this message via email. In addition to that, we encourage you to share this information with any Sherpa owner you may know.

Sherpa Owner Cable Request Form

If you have any questions, please email info@kuatracks.com

Bill Kaufman
    Operations
    Küat Innovations LLC
    1631 W College St
    Springfield, MO 65806
    P.(417)889-5820 ext. 303
    F.(417)877-4627
    www.kuatracks.com
    www.facebook.com/KuatRacks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishn View Post
    Anyone that thinks that a small cable is going to protect their bike is an idiot! I never leave my bike on the back of my car unattended. Even if the cable is not faulty, you can cut it in about three seconds. If someone wants your bike....they are going to take it.
    Agreed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That does suck. Thanks for the heads up.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    Thanks for the warning. Going to test mine when I get home from work.
    Yup. OP was correct. Pulled directionally on the big loop of the cable and it popped right out of the crimp. Surprisingly, with very little force.

I've only used the cable 3 or 4 times in he last two years and never noticed this issue. Go figure. I've filled out the Kuat form and we'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A plastic sleeved cable with an aluminum crimp is a bad idea. The plastic will slide out of the crimp.

mtbr member
    Thanks for bringing this to their attention, and to ours. I just tested my cable and was able to pull both loops apart with my hands.

I'm also glad they are doing what they can to prevent anymore issues, but sorry you had to lose bikes in the process.