Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    North Idaho

Walmart "fixie" bike

Went to the 'Mart yesterday and felt like a good laugh so I went to the bike section. There it was, what Walmart called a "fixie". Single speed, skinny-ish tires, narrow mountain bike type riser bars. And brakes. Now, when I think of a fixed gear bike I think of those bare bones bikes that don't even have brakes but I could see how someone might put brakes on a fixed gear bike that is being sold at a big box store. So I checked the bike out and it had a freewheeling rear gear. So basically it was a single speed bike not unlike any other single speed bike except it was a spiffy red and yellow and had the word "Fixie" emblazoned on it. I of course forgot to take a picture of it but I am sure these things can be found at any Walmart. Just had to share...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Haha, I saw the same one at my local Walmart this morning. They also are selling 29ers now. It's crazy

Trailhead Poseur
    I saw one of those, too. I assumed the brakes were there for liability reasons, it didn't occur to me to check to see if it were actually fixed gear.

website says it's got a flip flop hub, so depending on how it was built, you may see it as a fixie or a SS. and it is a law that bicycles must be sold with brakes. not sure how track bikes apply to that law, but at least with regards to bicycles ridden in traffic, they need a brake.

I've long thought that walmart would be best off selling cruisers and other rigid SS's because there's fewer parts for them to cheap out on, and the bikes will actually wind up better quality overall. people who buy bikes there just need something with wheels and pedals. they don't need suspension and derailleurs and other cheap crap that requires precision adjustments.

and I see people buying those cruisers and stuff from walmart...and actually riding them.

mtbr member
    From the Waly link posted above:

Item Description
    ...outfitted this bike with a flip-flop hub so you can run it as a fixed gear or in standard freewheel...

mtbr member
    I love it.
    You try to post a bash against Wal-Mart, but admit that you shop there.
    Too funny!!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

North Idaho
    Wasn't posting to bash Walmart in general, just posting about the oddball bike. I don't really have that much against Walmart, it serves a purpose like any other store as long as you understand what you get when you dole out the green.

I never new something like this flip-flop hub existed. I'm sure there is a compelling reason why a person would want to be able to go from fixed to freewheel on one bike but I can't figure out what that reason could be.

[QUOTE=Sorebuttbiker;8523360
    I never new something like this flip-flop hub existed. I'm sure there is a compelling reason why a person would want to be able to go from fixed to freewheel on one bike but I can't figure out what that reason could be.[/QUOTE]

you might change if you go from commuting to touring, if you go from a hilly route to a flat route, if you want a different gear ratio, or if you simply want to change it up from a fixie to a simple SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I love it.
    You try to post a bash against Wal-Mart, but admit that you shop there.
    Too funny!!
    I love it.
    You try to post a bash against another member, but turns out you misread his post and he wasn't bashing walmart at all.
    Too funny!!

mtbr member
    After selecting the bike, they can walk over to the clothing area and pick up a knitted scarf and a beret. All set to go!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    I love it.
    You try to post a bash against another member, but turns out you misread his post and he wasn't bashing walmart at all.
    Too funny!!

Hahahaha
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    After selecting the bike, they can walk over to the clothing area and pick up a knitted scarf and a beret. All set to go!
    hahhaa, instant hipster
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

A God Without A Name
    700c Men's Schwinn Varsity Flat-Bar Road Bike - Walmart.com

^I'm actually trying to make my neighbor buy this bike. I cant talk him into real bikes.
    And I looked it over in the store. it doesn't seem to be a deathtrap. and the frame actually fits him well...

The way I see it... is we get him on this bike. then as the parts break... we replace them with GOOD stuff.... till all thats left is the frame...

then we sneak a real frame in there too. and before he knows it, he's riding something fully legit.

Live 2 Ride
    If it had the geometry of a mountain bike i would get one. Beats sitting around the house.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    33 pounds. That's a heavy "fixie"!

Wal-Mart is great for a lot of things. They have the best prices on food, consumables, household goods, ammo. Just stay away from the bikes, furniture and tools. Also never buy a Wal-Mart tent unless you plan on only camping in perfect weather.

see me rollin, they hatin
    you know.....i almost like how that looks! (the "fixie)

also, if i lived in a city where i commuted, i probably would buy a walmart beater. i dont need my good stuff being stolen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^I'm actually trying to make my neighbor buy this bike. I cant talk him into real bikes.
    And I looked it over in the store. it doesn't seem to be a deathtrap. and the frame actually fits him well...

The way I see it... is we get him on this bike. then as the parts break... we replace them with GOOD stuff.... till all thats left is the frame...

then we sneak a real frame in there too. and before he knows it, he's riding something fully legit.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. My buddy wanted to get into riding, and I did everything I could to get him into at least a $500 specialized. Nope. He got a Wal Mart Mongoose full suspension for a buck ninety nine. Turned the wheels into squares and broke his derailer in the first 2 miles. At least I got a laugh as his rearward pointing kick stand dragged on the ground when he would bottom out his shock. He learned the hard way that Wal Mart is for ammo, cheap t-shirts, and frozen pizza. Leave the bike buying to a bike shop.

see me rollin, they hatin
    you gotta admit, walmart aint great for bikes, but its GREAT for stuff like this!

like, omgz, its coming right at you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought a rear innertube at walmart last weekend. Im almost ashamed to say that.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    hahhaa, instant hipster
    Lol, they've prolly got that shee over in the Halloween dept.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Dude why don't you drag him to a pawn shop, more bang for the buck and might find something decent. They practically give them away during winter months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    you gotta admit, walmart aint great for bikes, but its GREAT for stuff like this!

like, omgz, its coming right at you!
    That shirt only has one wolf on it. NO way would i wear that when I could wear the awesome three wolf moon shirt. Just check out the reviews and you'll know why I own a half-dozen of them. True story...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    That shirt only has one wolf on it. NO way would i wear that when I could wear the awesome three wolf moon shirt. Just check out the reviews and you'll know why I own a half-dozen of them. True story...
    I can see why. I'm ordering 7 right now!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Awesome
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast