Currently in Exile

Vredestien Black Panther....Snow tire?

So I was looking at these as a possible snow tire on my Surly 1x1. I know that the 2.35 runs around 2.5 in real world dimensions. I thought I might run it as a poor mans Endomorph in the snow. I am running Mavic 717 rims so the narrow rim makes the tire more round than a wider rim would.

Anyone have experience with a similar setup?

Thanks
    Last edited by Frozenspokes; 09-06-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: spelling error
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I just finished using a black panther as a hard pack and urban tire , it holds tons of air and you are right anticipating it to be nearer to 2.5" , the braking performance on steeps and loose dirt is not good at all , cornered a lil better when it is new but once it wore it washed out and could not be used on steep descents at all. It was a fun tire to ride around easy trails and roads due to the high volume and low rolling res, but all-in-all it basically amounts to an over-bloated urban tire IMO . The Vredstein Bull-Lock is a beast with tons of grip for braking and cornering but as is usually the case with beastly tire this comes at the cost of high rolling res.

It doesn't snow here, so draw what you can from this =)

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    I just finished using a black panther as a hard pack and urban tire , it holds tons of air and you are right anticipating it to be nearer to 2.5" , the braking performance on steeps and loose dirt is not good at all , cornered a lil better when it is new but once it wore it washed out and could not be used on steep descents at all. It was a fun tire to ride around easy trails and roads due to the high volume and low rolling res, but all-in-all it basically amounts to an over-bloated urban tire IMO . The Vredstein Bull-Lock is a beast with tons of grip for braking and cornering but as is usually the case with beastly tire this comes at the cost of high rolling res.

It doesn't snow here, so draw what you can from this =)
    Looking at the tread I can see how it wouldn't work well on steeps. Particularly if they were at all muddy. I suspect the center tread combined with the small knobs is to blame for that. But, if you look at the Surly Endomorph, it has smallish knobs also.

Enbomorph

Black Panther

I know that I'm giving up over an inch in volume, but I don't want to invest the cash for a Pugsly frame+Large Marge rims+Endomorphs. I am looking for something that will let me exend my riding season.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea