View Poll Results: Best advanced platform pedals?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeFacto Straitline Components

4 22.22%
  • Twenty6 (only 1 model I see)

1 5.56%
  • Deity Decoy Aluminum

1 5.56%
  • DMR Vault Pedals

5 27.78%
  • Octane Pedals

0 0%
  • Other

7 38.89%
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

VOTE: Choose My Pedals!!! Clipless Isn't My Cup of Tea(Snapple)

So, I'm over the initial "Fall down a WHOLE lot and I hate these clipless pedals" phase. I'm more at the "I rarely ever fall and these clipless pedals seem limiting" phase. With that said I'm looking at getting some good advanced platform pedals. Please vote on the ones I have in the poll or comment and advise something different if you prefer another specific brand and model. And yes, I have looked at the reviews here at mtbr, but I feel they're limiting. Because, if I sort by user rating 1 item can be at the top even though only 1 person rated it. And 1 person isn't nearly enough to decide if a whole item should be considered the best rated. Which I'm sure most rating systems on most webpages work like this. I just consider that a flaw in general. Any who......

And for those looking to say something mean or rude please find another thread. I enjoy riding and want to have fun. That is all. Go thread bomb somebody else.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong clipless pedals. I have some crankbrothers candy clipless pedals and they work fine. I just think I have a different preference after riding them for months.

Quiet Professional
    The twenty6 are amazing pedals and If I had the extra cash I would have purchased them instead of the answer rove.

mtbr member
    Think there's alot of good pinned platforms to choose from as this thread will prove. Also think the key to seeing the full advantage is a flat bottomed shoe like a skate or basketball shoe. 5.10 shoes stick like magic and I find they stick too well for my liking and usually don't wear them unless i'm mostly dhing.
    FWIW Atomlab Pimplites are my fav. I like a BIG platform.
    Round and round we go

No Stranger to danger....
    Straitline defactos HANDS DOWN, killer pedals so much so i have 3 pairs, great platform, the best gripping pins out there, top quality build, can take anything you can throw at them, awesome bushing system you can change and service i 3 minutes, look the bomb, you will be stoked.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    I've been running DMR Vaults for a year and a half now and I couldn't be happier with them. Rock solid and you don't have to even think about them. The bearings aren't sealed so they'll require some maintenance (greasing) at some point, but they haven't yet.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    As long as I'm spending your money I would vote for the Canfield Crampons.

mtbr member
    Second for Straitline DeFactos with 5 10 shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Straitline DeFactors are great, and seem to last a long time as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    As long as I'm spending your money I would vote for the Canfield Crampons.
    Funny! I looked at those also. I guess if I were to rate pedals like trails are rated. Trails are rated by flow, technical, climbing, scenic/wildlife, & freeride. If I were to give platform pedals different categories it would be style, reliability, & grippiness(not a word, but oh well). I'm long winded. So what I'm saying is the canfield crampons didn't make my list because I didn't like the style of them as much as the ones I've listed. Buuuut I've heard good things about them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Think there's alot of good pinned platforms to choose from as this thread will prove. Also think the key to seeing the full advantage is a flat bottomed shoe like a skate or basketball shoe. 5.10 shoes stick like magic and I find they stick too well for my liking and usually don't wear them unless i'm mostly dhing.
    FWIW Atomlab Pimplites are my fav. I like a BIG platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    Second for Straitline DeFactos with 5 10 shoes.
    Yeah, you guys hit the next nail on the head. I had no idea what to do about shoes. So, I'll look into the 5 10 that you all are mentioning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well since i can't post in anything else i guess ill start here lol I can't stand clip in's and honestly my favorite pedals to ride are Odyssey Trailmix's, pedals i rode on my old bmx trail bike that are insanely grippy and very very welll made. My .02

mtbr member
    These are my favorite conventional pedals. Don't need any special shoes for these and they are ready to accept a traditional clip and strap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I really am loving my new loaded amx signature pedals. I would suggest looking into them.

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by ddj8052 View Post
    I really am loving my new loaded amx signature pedals. I would suggest looking into them.
    These are nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    These are my favorite conventional pedals. Don't need any special shoes for these and they are ready to accept a traditional clip and strap.

?????????????????

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    ?????????????????

5.10 shoes with 10 min pedals! Maybe not even that long!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Had an 80ish Diamondback Ascent with Beartraps, after many years and many clips n clipless I'm back on the beartraps.

mtbr member
    For those that say bear traps, I'm not telling you what to like, I'm just sayin if you've never tried pinned platform with flat bottomed shoe, you should. Don't think you will look back
    Round and round we go

Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    For those that say bear traps, I'm not telling you what to like, I'm just sayin if you've never tried pinned platform with flat bottomed shoe, you should. Don't think you will look back

Totally agree, imho, the old bear trap just has nothing over a nice set of platforms, not even in the same ballpark.
    They have poor points of contact, are a poor platform to put your foot on, and in the year 2013, we have come light years with pedals..
    Im surprised they even still sell them..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddj8052 View Post
    I would wait on the Loaded pedals. They are re-designing those pedals. I went through 3 sets in 6 months, the bearings are too small and explode.
    Loaded is a great company to deal with but I would wait for there new pedals.

dwt
    mtbr member

VOTE: Choose My Pedals!!! Clipless Isn't My Cup of Tea(Snapple)

Check out Wellgo MG1. There is a Hong Kong bulk seller of these on eBay and you can get a pair available in a variety of colors for less than $40.

http://stores.ebay.com/rockbros/_i.h...sid=1040513150

I figured when I bought them, that for a platform newbie these are a great compromise cost and performance-wise. Like most other components, I stay away from top of the line expensive until I am proficient and can actually tell and justify paying for the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.