Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Video Cameras for Mountain Biking

I'm thinking of trying to make a mountain bike video and looking to get a camera for it. I'm just thinking of getting a fairly cheap Flip camera. Any other suggestions? I would be really surprised but I have a Droid 3, anyone use their phones for making mountain bike videos?

Edit: I cant believe i forgot this camera, but what about the gopro, its significantly more expensive but is it worth the price?
    Last edited by skier_biker_baller; 05-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.

sandbagger
    gopro hero 2 is worth the price, its epic.

Love mine

just go to youtube and watch some of gopro hero 2 videos others have made
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by airmiller44 View Post
    gopro hero 2 is worth the price, its epic.

Love mine

just go to youtube and watch some of gopro hero 2 videos others have made
    Thats actually exactly what I was just doing. I dont know if I want to spend that kind of money, but maybe the gopro hero 1. The only thing I'm worried about is that it doesnt have a screen. I'm thinking of doing quite a bit of filming where the camera isnt mounted to your helmet/chest/bike and you are filming someone else. And with out a screen I think that would be fairly difficult.

mtbr member
    There is a mount to be able to use the iPhone. It comes with a wide angle lens too. Quality is pretty good but the mounting system is pretty pricey. You might be able to come up with something for your droid. IMO, phones out now have really good cameras. What you'll loose using the phone over the camera I think is the wide angle lens unless you can get one for your phone, and weather proofing/durability. Those too can be taken care of with something like an Otterbox. You may have to get creative with a mounting system. In the end, it may be easier and even cheaper to just get the GoPro or something similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skier_biker_baller View Post
    The only thing I'm worried about is that it doesnt have a screen.
    The gopro 2 has a screen you can attach I believe. For the gopro 1 you should always test the shot before the actual ride or just eyeball it while on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    There is a mount to be able to use the iPhone. It comes with a wide angle lens too. Quality is pretty good but the mounting system is pretty pricey. You might be able to come up with something for your droid. IMO, phones out now have really good cameras. What you'll loose using the phone over the camera I think is the wide angle lens unless you can get one for your phone, and weather proofing/durability. Those too can be taken care of with something like an Otterbox. You may have to get creative with a mounting system. In the end, it may be easier and even cheaper to just get the GoPro or something similar.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not going to use the phone. Compared to the iphone, the droid doesnt have near as good of a camera so i'm guessing the video isnt that great.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not going to use the phone. Compared to the iphone, the droid doesnt have near as good of a camera so i'm guessing the video isnt that great.
    My old droid's camera kicks the ass of my iPhone 4. iPhone 4S is a different story though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    The gopro 2 has a screen you can attach I believe. For the gopro 1 you should always test the shot before the actual ride or just eyeball it while on the trail.
    I would just feel much better with a screen. Is there any other camera that compares against the gopro? (image stability, price, ability to mount to a helmet, video quality etc.)

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The GoPro has a 170 degree FOV, I have used it for two years w/o a screen and never had too much of an issue with getting quality footage. Just point it in the general direction you want and 9 times out of 10, you'll get good footage as long as you make sure the mount is tight.

If you get serious into mtb videos, the GoPro is the definitive way to go and worth the $$. If you go with a P&S camera, you have to make your own mounts but won't get the same quality you'll get with a GoPro as most P&S have about a little over 1/2 the FOV as the GoPro. P&S cameras I do use but use them for external footage.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Take a cheap laser pointer with you to line the shot up.

Sent from my MiPhone !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleasys14 View Post
    Take a cheap laser pointer with you to line the shot up.

Sent from my MiPhone !
    i guess that would work, it would just be so much easier with a screen

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    The GoPro has a 170 degree FOV, I have used it for two years w/o a screen and never had too much of an issue with getting quality footage. Just point it in the general direction you want and 9 times out of 10, you'll get good footage as long as you make sure the mount is tight.

If you get serious into mtb videos, the GoPro is the definitive way to go and worth the $$. If you go with a P&S camera, you have to make your own mounts but won't get the same quality you'll get with a GoPro as most P&S have about a little over 1/2 the FOV as the GoPro. P&S cameras I do use but use them for external footage.
    The gopro seems really good with image quality, image stability etc., but i expect at least 50% of the filming to be point and shoot and it seems like that could be difficult to do that without a screen

mtbr member
    Is there any other camera that compares against the gopro? (image stability, price, ability to mount to a helmet, video quality etc.)
    The Contour HD is Gopros main competitor I think. I have never used one.

sandbagger
    sounds like you need to pony up and buy a gopro hero 2
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    I've never missed a shot with my gopro the wide angle catches everything.

Sent from my MiPhone !

mtbr member
    May 2009
    a big advantage to the dedicated action cams like gopro or contour is the image stabilization. i'd imagine a bar mounted cell phone video would be a blair witch project type nightmare to watch.

mtbr member
    Its tough to decide about that type of an investment. I acquired one of the original go-pro (non HD) when they were first out, and I find I barely ever used the thing. I *think* its sitting in its box w old bike parts lol.

That said, the build quality of the gopro stuff is REALLY nice.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I'm thinking of trying to make a mountain bike video and looking to get a camera for it. I'm just thinking of getting a fairly cheap Flip camera. Any other suggestions? I would be really surprised but I have a Droid 3, anyone use their phones for making mountain bike videos?

Edit: I cant believe i forgot this camera, but what about the gopro, its significantly more expensive but is it worth the price?
    Look here: http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-pov-cameras/
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I also have a contour gps. It shoots nice video. And has gps and u can buy a Bluetooth chip to use ur smart fone as a viewfinder.

Sent from my MiPhone !

mtbr member
    I funny about the gopro cuz I always have the case on it but my contour has taking drops and multiple paintballs without a case and it works fine.

Sent from my MiPhone !

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Any of the available sports video recorder will work fine. The kicker is the editing program. You can record in 1080p all you want but editing it and making a movie in that resolution requires a good computer with good processing power. If you don't have a high tech comp sitting at home, you can forget about making 1080p movies. But as far as portable and reliable sports video recorder goes, the GoPro Hero 2 is hands down the best. Every comparison i've seen so far, the GoPro Hero 2 comes out on top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been looking into this recently as well and ended up buying a Swann Freestyle, which looks a lot like GoPro HD 1 and has a pretty decent value for what you get. It's currently in transit and I have yet to test it out but I'm expecting some results from this thing.

mtbr member
    Saw one of those freestyles on woot.com twice this past month for 150$ I think

Sent from my MiPhone !

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I believe you could also get it on Amazon for $130 out the door or if you have Fry's nearby - they also carry it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The gopro seems really good with image quality, image stability etc., but i expect at least 50% of the filming to be point and shoot and it seems like that could be difficult to do that without a screen
    I have been shooting my MTB and some other action with my GoPro Hero 1, the Hero 2 was not around when I bought mine, with the GoPro chest harness. I have gotten some great video but also missed some stuff.

I was not happy to get home and find that a day of filming that the camera angle was mostly handlebars. On one hand, if you have a screen you could review the footage before you leave but you will not be able to line up the angle anyway. It's on your chest, you can't see the screen, even if you had one.

This can be avoided though by taking a little precaution, you would think. I do find myself running into trees and such because I'm looking down to see if the camera has moved!

Of course there are other mounting options, I've created some mounts for the bike but the video is too jiggly, others have had better results though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast